Mike Tyson reffing an MMA fight (not all too well). Everyone still loves him.
James Toney "training" Kenpo 5.0 in preparation for Randy Couture.
10. Paul Varelans biting Bas Rutten in the back in the Ukraine and subsequently getting thrown through a plate glass window.
9. Arrhichion winning the Pankration contest at the Olympic games despite being dead.
8. Jerry Bell entering the World Combat Championship in 1995, not knowing that he was HIV positive.
7. On the subject of HIV: John Stover accepting an unsanctioned fight with HIV positive former boxing champion and Rocky V star Tommy Morrison, despite restrictions being imposed that essentially made the contest a boxing match with MMA gloves.
6. Two lame guys with a web show make really pathetic and tasteless attempts at dark humor following Evan Tanner's death. "They say he was an alcoholic, but he ended up dying from NOT DRINKING ENOUGH!!!"
5. Ken Shamrock gets repeatedly pwned by Danny Trejo in the low-budget flick Champions.
4. Paul Varelans offers to speak for an elementary school, has appearance cancelled after they find out he's an NHB fighter.
3. Gina Carano compares MMA to sex on the Craig Ferguson show.
2. Everyone urinates, masturbates, and shits in each other's food on TUF 8 (The shitting was cut out)
1. Andy Hug and most of K-1's top fighters lambast MMA before Pat Smith's NHB match with Kimo in K-1: Legends. One exception was Ernesto Hoost.
Once again, no order.
Last edited by Holy Moment; 8/12/2012 8:22pm at .
From WIKI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pankration
Originally Posted by Holy Moment
See I have a hard time believing the bolded part. Dying from a choke requires at least an extra minute of choking a ragdoll body and if you're sleeping then you're not breaking anything.
In an odd turn of events, a pankration fighter named Arrhichion
(Ἀρριχίων) of Phigalia
won the pankration competition at the Olympic Games despite being dead. His opponent had locked him in a chokehold and Arrhichion, desperate to loosen it, broke his opponent's toe (some records say his ankle). The opponent nearly passed out from pain and submitted. As the referee raised Arrhichion's hand, it was discovered that he had died from the chokehold. His body was crowned with the olive wreath and taken back to Phigaleia as a hero.
But what if he broke the toe (or ankle) just before he passed out? Mmyeah, would the opponent hold the choke for another minute and only then submit from pain. It doesn't up.
EDIT: Maybe the chokehold was a neck crank and the opponent broke his neck. That'd make the scenario plausible.
Last edited by Tranquil Suit; 8/12/2012 10:09pm at .
That entire list was superb. Please please make another list. Come on guys, there are so many moments.
Originally Posted by Holy Moment
Holy crap #2, WTF image of the sport, you dumb jock asswipes. Someone did that to my food, I'd feed them the plate. Not the plate of food...the actual plate.
To everyone, make several lists, repeat things others might have touched on, if they were awesome to you. I wanted a thread of reminiscence...and with 7 billion people on earth, things repeat sometimes...it's ok.
IMO this sport of mma, produces more memorable moments than any sport/sports entertainment activity.
Last edited by bobyclumsyninja; 8/12/2012 10:15pm at .
Reason: I had more shit to say.
Choke damaged the carotid, guy was technically alive when the fight was stopped, dead or at least unrevivable by the time they checked on him?
Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit
"Your body must be like a stone, your mind... like a meatloaf."
Originally Posted by strikistanian
Originally Posted by Devil
Originally Posted by Plasma
10. Jose Aguilar compares himself to Hitler on TUF 8. He lost in the prelims to Junie Browning of all people. Amazingly, I think we might've gotten the leser of two evils.
9. Gary Busey appears in the audience at UFC 3, the first celebrity to show up at a live event. If he was at UFC 4 as well, he was probably the only person in the crowd who knew what the technique Royce Gracie used to defeat Dan Severn was called, having been beaten by Mel Gibson's triangle choke in Lethal Weapon.
8. Pride FC had a surprisingly close relationship with KOTC at one point in the company's history. There was quite a bit of cross-over, the most memorable being Mike Bourke (Who trained once a week) appearing in Pride 11 and getting double-armbarred by Alexander Otsuka.
7. While living in the Lion's Den, Guy Mezger goes to use the bathroom in the middle of the night and accidentally walks in on Jason DeLucia meditating naked and surrounded by candles.
6. Jeremy Jackson jumps the gate on TUF 4 to have sex with a fat lifeguard.
5. Dan Severn critiques Owen Hart's fashion sense on the WWF.
4. Harold Howard advertises himself as "The first man to defeat Royce Gracie" following his UFC 3 appearance. Incidentally, that fight was recently (And rightfully) taken out of the Sherdog database.
3. Tank Abbott hits Al Stanky, gets decked by Wallid Ismail, and then a brawl breaks out at the UFC 12 after party.
2. In Black Belt magazine, Royce Gracie claims Mario Sperry doesn't know how to grapple following his appearance in Extreme Fighting 1. Sperry would go on to be the first person to submit a Gracie in a jiu-jitsu match and would defeat multiple Gracie's throughout his career.
1. Tank Abbott wears a nipple shirt on WCW.
Holy **** that was another winning list. More, more.
10: "Danga-da-danga-da-dang" - Bas Rutten
9: "Don't, don't you ever do theeeees" (While hitting man's head off tabletop) - Bas Rutten
7: "I don't think he's even human" - Tim Silvia (post Fedor fight).
4: Also this:
3: Charles Crazy Horse Bennet's cage top backflip celebrations
2: The smile on Rampages face as Wandy was kneeing it apart in Pride. Magical.
1: Semmy Schilt going from rather dangerous mma fighter, to one of the all time great kickboxers. Wins over Badr Hari, Jerome LeBanner, Remy Bonjasky, Marc Hunt, Peter Aerts, Glaube Feitosa, Ernesto Hoost, Ray Sefo, Musashi, Mighty Mo, Jan Nortje, etc etc.
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO