Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/08/2012 8:53pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by P Marsh View Post

Distinctly true, but we do have these safeguards today i.e. police forces. Yes they aren't perfect and there are circumstances that make police protection a moot choice like farm/rural living but just like my main subject these circumstances are a non-factor to the discussion. To me, an armed citizen is just as much a risk as they are a benefit, likely more so considering statistics.

My intent is not to say that guns are bad but that gun culture can lead to strange happenings in the mind and why people like myself hold the ideals that we do.
    Ok, you sound reasonable here; and it looks like you aren't dodging the moral issues with disarming people; I am sure someone will address turning that obligation over to police.

Yes the security blanket phenomena is real. And we do have a gun culture in the us. It is also an important part of our culture that many in the world do not understand. Really strange considering it developed with european thinkers. Freedom is an important value to the is and we are referring to individual freedom, not group freedom.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    8/08/2012 9:07pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe he would have pulled his gun out but I don't think he would have shot them. Broad daylight, foreign soil; I may not have the rosiest perception of police but I don't think he'd be that dumb.
    Foreign soil notwithstanding, I carry (concealed) virtually everywhere I go. I do not want anyone that I come into contact with to know this. I won't flash, press, point to, or otherwise make anyone aware that I am carrying. The only reason the 'Baby would come out of the cradle' is if some **** went dreadfully wrong, and it was life-or-death. Shooting someone is the second worst thing I can think of, only second to getting shot myself.
    As for Canadian gun control, long barrel guns i.e. hunting rifles and shotguns are legal (uncle owns several and is a farmer) but handguns if memory serves are nationally registered and have tight regulations and provinces/municipalities often take it upon themselves to criminalize them.
    Thanks for the information, as I really am not familiar with Canadian law. With the administration we have in charge at this time, this national registration and tighter regulations are probably coming soon. In some areas (Chicago, Washington D.C., and a few select others) it has already been criminalized.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2012 9:50pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    Foreign soil notwithstanding, I carry (concealed) virtually everywhere I go. I do not want anyone that I come into contact with to know this. I won't flash, press, point to, or otherwise make anyone aware that I am carrying. The only reason the 'Baby would come out of the cradle' is if some **** went dreadfully wrong, and it was life-or-death. Shooting someone is the second worst thing I can think of, only second to getting shot myself.
    Yeah, I'm sure this guy is the kind who's got his foot in the door to the loony bin but often the best examples are hyberbole at least to an extent in order to make any implication or nuance as clear as possible. I mean, no one was hurt and he didn't just go home and have a new story for beers with his pals or a passive-aggressive post on facebook but he wrote a letter to a Canadian paper criticizing one of the most touted Canadian values (honestly, only because it makes us have a snooty moral high ground, like healthcare). That's really not run-of-the-mill.

And I'm dead certain most gun owners wouldn't actually want to shoot someone beyond the common "just watched an action movie" kind of scenario. Being involved in a human death even tangentially can really mess a person up.

Quote Originally Posted by mike321 View Post
    Ok, you sound reasonable here; and it looks like you aren't dodging the moral issues with disarming people; I am sure someone will address turning that obligation over to police.
    Thanks, I was honestly really lucky to grow up in a situation that valued conversation and debate with people of differing opinion. Growing up liberal in a place with 3/4ths of a century of continuous conservative leadership gets skills in not trying to set someone off while having a friendly debate be they liberal or conservative.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2012 8:31am

Style: Boxing, Judo, Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, it was in Nose Hill park in broad daylight. And sure, I usually don't react all that openly when people randomly approach me for conversation but I don't criminalize someone for just striking up a conversation.
    It really depends on where I am. I've lived in two of the worst cities in the U.S. - St. Louis and Detroit. Based on my experiences, and location, I might react in an extremely cautious manner if someone was asking if I was going somewhere.

Distinctly true, but we do have these safeguards today i.e. police forces. Yes they aren't perfect and there are circumstances that make police protection a moot choice like farm/rural living but just like my main subject these circumstances are a non-factor to the discussion. To me, an armed citizen is just as much a risk as they are a benefit, likely more so considering statistics.
    Anyone, *ANYONE*, who is armed is as much a risk as they are a benefit. My father was a corpsman for two tours in Vietnam - his first fatality? A friendly fire incident. Even trained professionals make mistakes, and when under fire, they tend to make them far more often.

I haven't seen the data that suggests that civilians deploying weapons in a self defense scenario hit more friendlies than your average professional in the same scenario.

Posted On:
    8/09/2012 9:11am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jesus this old argument again?? Even I am tired of the gun control debate, and do you guys realize just how badly a dead horse has to be beaten for me to be tired of it??

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2012 10:32am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hick cops are idiots? Who knew. Disarm the police, I say. Problem solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    8/09/2012 11:28am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Goddamn. I love guns AND I love to argue but even I am tired of bickering about gun control on Bullshido. I think I shan't do it anymore. At least not today.

Let's talk about boobs.

Posted On:
    8/09/2012 11:50am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Goddamn. I love guns AND I love to argue but even I am tired of bickering about gun control on Bullshido. I think I shan't do it anymore. At least not today.

Let's talk about boobs.
    I second that, thread is now about boobs.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/09/2012 11:52am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This guy sounds like Charles Bronson in Deathwish mixed with Andy Rooney.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    8/09/2012 1:46pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    Hick cops are idiots? Who knew. Disarm the police, I say. Problem solved.
    What about educated cops with advanced training? What about cops that aren't so hickish? Would you like to take my gun away too?

I like boobs better than guns, but you can't take either away from me.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast