Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/08/2012 3:18am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Educate Me: The Why, When, and How of Concealed Carry

Following on my June thread about the Gen4 GLOCK 26, I'm once again considering concealed carry. I will be glad to discuss why I'm revisiting this should anyone be interested.

I have the opportunity in the next few weeks to take the plunge and get my concealed carry license, along with related equipment (see the aforementioned thread). I have everything mapped out, having studied all related legalities for my jurisdiction, and I am left with the simple question: is this something I want to do?

To answer that question, I need a better idea of what I'm really getting into. Carrying isn't just about permits and gear, after all. I want to have a way out should someone put me in mortal danger, but living with the responsibility for all of the (hopefully infinite) days prior to that danger matters at least as much.

For all of you who carry, I have a few questions:

1. Why do you carry?
    2. When do you carry?
    3. When don't you carry?
    4. How do you carry?
    5. How has carrying changed your life (please don't forget the boring day to day details)?
    6. How have you interacted with law enforcement while carrying (blame YouTube for this question)?

Thanks in advance for all responses; thoughtful discussion of the above would be priceless, particularly questions five and six.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    8/08/2012 3:34am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    For all of you who carry, I have a few questions:

1. Why do you carry?
    2. When do you carry?
    3. When don't you carry?
    4. How do you carry?
    5. How has carrying changed your life?
    6. How have you interacted with law enforcement while carrying?
    Why carry: 1.Work always calls. 2. People I have dealt with at work.
    When carry: Almost everywhere I go when I leave home.
    Don't carry: At amusement parks or the beach.
    How carried: IWB holster, cargo pocket or in my motorcycle saddle bag.
    Life changing: Not yet, but with the craziness in the world???
    Interaction with law enforcement: Unless I am working, I carry concealed, and law enforcement officers outside where I work never know that I am carrying.

The YouTube encounters are usually with the wing-nut, didn't get enough hugs as a child, hey, look at me Open Carry faction. These guys are so busy touting their rights under the Second Amendment, the miss the big picture. You won't see this with concealed carry; the cops don't know and really don't care.

Posted On:
    8/08/2012 3:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Here's a follow-up to question six: should I tell a cop that I'm carrying right away (starting with mentioning the permit so it doesn't sound like a threat) or keep it to myself and deal with whatever reaction the cop may have if it's discovered?

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/08/2012 3:43am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't it law to disclose to LEO that you are concealed carrying in the States?

Posted On:
    8/08/2012 3:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Volya View Post
    I think it varies by jurisdiction. I will look into it more tomorrow; this is just the kind of thing I would review prior to filing for the permit.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    8/08/2012 3:51am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a follow-up to question six: should I tell a cop that I'm carrying right away (starting with mentioning the permit so it doesn't sound like a threat) or keep it to myself and deal with whatever reaction the cop may have if it's discovered?
    Quote Originally Posted by Volya View Post
    If you have an encounter with law enforcement (traffic stop, call for service, etc), you are generally required to disclose this. If you are just walking down the street, you are not obligated to point it out to the police.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    8/08/2012 6:59am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    If you have an encounter with law enforcement (traffic stop, call for service, etc), you are generally required to disclose this. If you are just walking down the street, you are not obligated to point it out to the police.
    Ahh. Cheers for that.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    8/08/2012 8:11am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why do you carry?
    Because I watch the news and I know what people are capable of. I also have friends in law enforcement so I get to hear about the **** that doesn't make it on the news. Even scarier. Because I have a family and I want to protect them and come home to them at the end of the day. And because there's no fucking way in hell I'm getting taken out by some punkass teenager with a mousegun and a bad attitude. **** that. I've been through too much **** to go out like that.

When do you carry?
    Basically everywhere it's legally allowed. I don't carry at work. It's prohibited. I would do it anyway but I can't be positive I can conceal any weapon 100% reliably in dress slacks. I keep a weapon in my vehicle so I can carry if I stop anywhere on the way home. I carry when I'm out in my yard as well because you never know who might walk up.

When don't you carry?
    See above.

How do you carry?
    I have a pile of holsters for the guns I carry and switch around as needed. Usually on the hip under my shirt. Sometimes IWB. Don't have any SOB holsters yet but I'm looking.

How has carrying changed your life (please don't forget the boring day to day details)?
    Honestly, the change has been positive. An added sense of security and that's about it. There is an adjustment period when you're getting accustomed to carrying all the time and it can be aggravating. But it's like adjusting to a healthier diet. You get used to it then it's not a big deal anymore.

How have you interacted with law enforcement while carrying (blame YouTube for this question)?
    In my state I am required to notify any LEO immediately that I'm carrying. This is only if he approaches me directly or vice versa as someone pointed out above. I don't have to cross the street to let any copy passing by know I'm carrying.

Posted On:
    8/08/2012 10:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    There is an adjustment period when you're getting accustomed to carrying all the time and it can be aggravating. But it's like adjusting to a healthier diet. You get used to it then it's not a big deal anymore.
    Can you go into more detail about what the adjustment period was like for you? I know about belt size changes and the like for IWB (by the way, I'm still planning to pocket carry as mentioned in my earlier thread), but were there any other noticeable changes to the way you do things?

My disability requires me to pay a great deal of attention to how I do things, so I'd like to get a better perspective of other people's transitions (my experience with private property open carry means I understand certain basics like weight distribution).

Do not get me wrong: this isn't me saying "please predict my future perfectly, oh Internet who knoweth all."

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    8/08/2012 11:03am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can you go into more detail about what the adjustment period was like for you? I know about belt size changes and the like for IWB (by the way, I'm still planning to pocket carry as mentioned in my earlier thread), but were there any other noticeable changes to the way you do things?

My disability requires me to pay a great deal of attention to how I do things, so I'd like to get a better perspective of other people's transitions (my experience with private property open carry means I understand certain basics like weight distribution).

Do not get me wrong: this isn't me saying "please predict my future perfectly, oh Internet who knoweth all."
    Well, there's a mental adjustment for starters. Following through with what you've decided to do. Is your plan to commit yourself to always carrying when legally possible? That will take discipline. Actually, whatever commitment you make, it will take discipline to follow through. You'll be in a hurry. You'll be wearing clothes that aren't ideal for concealed carry. You'll just be running out for a minute. You'll be going somewhere that you think is safe. All those things will tempt you to leave your weapon at home or in your vehicle.

Carrying a gun can be uncomfortable. Do you want to carry all day long when you're watching the football game at your buddy's house or whatever? It's like sitting on your wallet all day, depending how you carry it.

I don't like pocket carry because it tends to look like you're carrying a folded hand towel in your pocket or something. Just my opinion.

When I first started carrying I started with a Glock 26, which is small. Sometimes it still felt like I was carrying a cinderblock because I wasn't accustomed to it. So I went smaller sometimes with a Ruger LCP. Very comfortable. Light on firepower though, obviously. Now I've gotten used to carrying and I'm leaning towards full sized pistols when my clothes allow.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast