Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2012 3:46pm

Style: Pekiti-Tirsia Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    I'm afraid 1/4" may be small and was thinking 1/2" when I wrote the previous post. I should have included that.
    Whoops, that is my screwup, I ordered the wrong diameter. I've got it switched now.
    Last edited by blindside; 8/22/2012 3:56pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 2:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I ordered this polycarbonate product at 1/2 inch,
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00
    and quite frankly I won't even bother making this into a padded stick, it is far more whippy than 1/2 nylon rod or 3/8" ID cpvc at a much higher price.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 8:45pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blindside View Post
    and quite frankly I won't even bother making this into a padded stick, it is far more whippy than 1/2 nylon rod or 3/8" ID cpvc at a much higher price.
    My bad. What length are you using and may I ask how much you're out in cash?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2012 9:02am

Style: kendo, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's a nice find! And here I just spend like 40 bucks on a pair of stickman polycarb sticks. When these guys eventually break I'm just gonna order those in bulk. Please get back to me how they feel when you test them out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2012 4:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    My bad. What length are you using and may I ask how much you're out in cash?
    I bought three feet of it, so $20ish or so. I thought it was worth a try and it will make a pretty good basis to build a a nigh-unbreakable lightsaber for my five year old. :D

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2012 4:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Twobits View Post
    That's a nice find! And here I just spend like 40 bucks on a pair of stickman polycarb sticks. When these guys eventually break I'm just gonna order those in bulk. Please get back to me how they feel when you test them out.
    I am pretty unimpressed with this particular product, you can buy nylon for much cheaper, three feet of 1/2" polycarb is $20, six feet of 1/2" nylon 6/6 rod is $18. I use the 3/4" nylon rod for my heavy padded sticks and 1 inch rod for working the tires. Nylon used against rattan for drilling will trash the rattan in a hurry, the density is somewhat comparable to kamagong.

edit: Oh, and if those stickman sticks are the hollow tubes, well, we have broken those as well. It took some doing, but it was fairly impressive when it shattered, what was left in my partner's had would have qualified as a deadly weapon, it had a nasty point.

There may be other polycarb rod that would have less flex, but I am pretty happy with my current sparring sticks.
    Last edited by blindside; 8/28/2012 4:51pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/28/2012 6:02pm

Style: kendo, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am pretty unimpressed with this particular product, you can buy nylon for much cheaper, three feet of 1/2" polycarb is $20, six feet of 1/2" nylon 6/6 rod is $18. I use the 3/4" nylon rod for my heavy padded sticks and 1 inch rod for working the tires. Nylon used against rattan for drilling will trash the rattan in a hurry, the density is somewhat comparable to kamagong.

edit: Oh, and if those stickman sticks are the hollow tubes, well, we have broken those as well. It took some doing, but it was fairly impressive when it shattered, what was left in my partner's had would have qualified as a deadly weapon, it had a nasty point.

There may be other polycarb rod that would have less flex, but I am pretty happy with my current sparring sticks.
    I have the solid versions. I didn't like the idea of having a hollow stick. Hopefully it isn't as breakable as the ones you used.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123