Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/14/2012 8:25pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're mistaken on the original purpose of judo. It was intended for education, not creating BAMFs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2012 8:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't dispute that; idiom in this sense denotes style or character, not purpose.
    Last edited by DARPAChief; 8/14/2012 8:54pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/26/2012 7:51pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyone that does Judo eventually meets someone that says, "Uh, no hit or kick? I can kick your ass!" it goes on and on. I used to wonder sometimes if I could defend myself using Judo.

I've done no-gi sparring, where the BB that I was sparring had no problems putting me on my back, and in a variety of ways. I've done a very tiny amount of MMA, one thing I noticed was, My ballance was better, my movements quicker, and it was easier to block alot of punches than before I trained. It was also easier to get in on a clench and throw.

If someone isn't expecting a grappling match, they're in for a huge surprise! Then again, there's always a good chance you'll take a couple knocks to the noodle. Then again, that happens sparring sometimes anyway.

I don't think Judo was meant as a self defense system, however, self defense is a secondary benefit. Judoka are better off than someone who doesn't do any training. Either way though, quit listening to people who don't train in anything. They don't know what they're talking about. It'll just make you doubt Judo all around and it won't be as fun when you're second guessing purpose.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345