Sponsored Links Spacer Image

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    8/11/2012 4:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DARPAChief View Post
    ... It just seemed hypocritical to pull out “realism” in a thread where the OP is being told that Judo is about grappling, not reality per se. If the latter is to be emphasized, Judo is not enough ...
    I never told the OP that Judo wasn't about "realism", because in my personal opinion it is. That's one of the reasons that I trained it (at this moment all my time is occupied by BJJ and Savate).

Let me (try to) explain:
    While Judo training hasn't got a real-life feel to it, it will give you a set of techniques/skills that are perfectly appliable in a real-life situation.
    It is thru that Judo will only teach you 1 of the 3 distances in an unarmed fight at a good level (clinch/throw) and another distance at a decent level (ground), therefor crosstraining is needed to get good at the complete range of unarmed fighting.

In this day in Western culture, altercations and fights have declined to a bare minimum AND the majority of people in our civilisation have never trained in Combat Sports (except that 1 year stinge in kiddy-krotty and TKD at 12, where they got a black belt ;-p ), so the skills that you acquire during training in Combat Sports are more than enough to survive a "street/bar fight".

You don't need to eye gauge, kick in the balls and bite to win, a basic jab cross combination followed by a lowkick will take the fight out of most of your "real-life" opponents. If he gets back up, just O Soto Gari him back to the floor and see him run to the nearest exit.

Like I said before, Combat Sports are a great way to stay in condition, to meet new people and have a great time while at the same time they will teach you the necessary skillset that will help you in this day and age (if you combine it with some common sense) without focussing their classes around self-defense and the accompanied paranoia that lives in those classes.
    A double win situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2012 6:10am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs View Post
    I never told the OP that Judo wasn't about "realism", because in my personal opinion it is. That's one of the reasons that I trained it (at this moment all my time is occupied by BJJ and Savate).

Like I said before, Combat Sports are a great way to stay in condition, to meet new people and have a great time while at the same time they will teach you the necessary skillset that will help you in this day and age (if you combine it with some common sense) without focussing their classes around self-defense and the accompanied paranoia that lives in those classes.
    A double win situation.
    I like your posts.
    I agree with you. Focusing on learning in harmony and not in enhancing paranoia is a big point of merit for a dojo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2012 10:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Which techniques have been "dumped" by the IJF?
    The 2010 rule changes penalize leg grabs; now they can only occur as a transitition after an unnsuccessful first technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs View Post
    Ah, I see now what you mean by "realism"; "a skillset that can transition into those unusual confrontations and minimize any threat presented", not "a skillset optimized for x level of conflict". I can abide by that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2012 3:22pm

Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo has striking in it.. it just isn't emphasized that much.
    Also getting thrown in theory toughens your body up enough to endure strikes.
    I've never seen a pretty streetfight, just endure till you can use ANY move you know if applicable during the fight, or survive guarding your body parts as much as possible.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2012 10:35pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FYT View Post
    Whose theory is that, if you don't mind my asking? When I get punched and kicked, it tends to be in my face and torso; yours is an ukemi unkept if you land on these areas.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2012 3:51am

Style: Striking, grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never seen a pretty streetfight, just endure till you can use ANY move you know if applicable during the fight, or survive guarding your body parts as much as possible.
    If you've never been punched, you don't know how to take it. Most people spaz.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2012 12:24pm

Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You guys taking **** too literal, the focus is on ENDURING strikes..
    not that you can TAKE a punch or kick persé, but endure pain througout the fight.
    No training will ever take away the flashes of white light from a good punch to the face.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2012 4:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You guys taking **** too literal, the focus is on ENDURING strikes..
    not that you can TAKE a punch or kick persé, but endure pain througout the fight.
    No training will ever take away the flashes of white light from a good punch to the face.
    It doesn't matter how in the zone you are if you get the wind knocked out you; the muscles in your diaphragm spasm and become temporarily paralyzed. It's a similar story with the Charlie horse and so on; in order to overcome the effects, you need to practice getting punched, not breakfalling.
    Last edited by DARPAChief; 8/14/2012 4:18pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2012 5:07pm

Style: MMA,scjj,judo,some tkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DARPAChief View Post
    It doesn't matter how in the zone you are if you get the wind knocked out you; the muscles in your diaphragm spasm and become temporarily paralyzed. It's a similar story with the Charlie horse and so on; in order to overcome the effects, you need to practice getting punched, not breakfalling.
    i thought of the exact same thing. never getting hit they wouldnt know how to react and probably get flustered or lose their composure. just like how i was when i started mma, when the fists were flying my way i didnt know how to react or handle it. which is why i thought judo should add it. Not necessarily to the art, but every once in a while put on some focus mitts and gloves and work a bit of striking and strike defense.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/14/2012 6:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewpmma View Post
    i thought of the exact same thing. never getting hit they wouldnt know how to react and probably get flustered or lose their composure. just like how i was when i started mma, when the fists were flying my way i didnt know how to react or handle it. which is why i thought judo should add it. Not necessarily to the art, but every once in a while put on some focus mitts and gloves and work a bit of striking and strike defense.
    This is the idiom of MMA, Shooto, Kudo, and friends, but not that of Judo; or at least no longer. Like so many other things, Judo started with a bang, its main creative influences died off, and the ferment appears to have plateaued into normalcy, for better or worse.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast