Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Style
    none currently
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies, they are REALLY helpful and making me think that I'm not to old for this!

I spent the night reading old posts to try and gleam information about some of the local BJJ training gyms. However, this only made me question my resolve to train in BJJ in the first place. Is there something else that would fit me better?

Basically, I just want something that is fun and challenging AND will be useful when needing to defend myself OR needing to restrain someone. I'm attracted to the locks and holds of BJJ because I think it's efficient. And as I'm dealing with people in the community (patients) I can't usually be striking them.

It also just happens I live in the Southbay of Los Angeles which is a hotbed for MMA and BJJ gyms. I didn't look into MMA gyms because I'm not looking to learn striking techniques or compete (although I'm sure it's useful).

Any opinions?
    Last edited by primetime; 8/09/2012 1:39am at . Reason: clarify

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since your focus is real-life application, you might do well to study BJJ at a MMA gym, or make sure the BJJ program emphasizes defense. Just because you don't want to punch people doesn't mean they won't try to punch you, and since BJJ competitions do not permit striking, techniques have evolved that leave one wide open to getting hit. In my classes, the instructor will throw out the occasional "don't try this in a fight, you'll get punched," but if you're not interested in competing, it would be better to focus entirely on what will be applicable to you. Bad habits and whatnot.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TEA View Post
    Ha ha, you're older than I am. :TrollDad:

I still choke out more people than peanuts and grapes. I put more people on the canvas than Van Gogh. You know when the doctor tells people they have three months to live? I hit like that.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You live in southbay? Manhattan Beach?

Style
    BJJ+Sanda
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    You know when the doctor tells people they have three months to live? I hit like that.
    Pfft. When doctors tell people they have three months to live, it's because they became aware of my travel plans.
    "Systema, which means, 'the system'..."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma
    At the point, I must act! You see my rashguard saids "Jiu Jitsu vs The World" and "The World" was standing in front me teaching Anti-Grappling in a school I help run.

Style
    none currently
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    You live in southbay? Manhattan Beach?
    Yes I do.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by primetime View Post
    Yes I do.
    Hold on, let me get somebody who lives in the area.

Manhattan Beach, California, United States
    Style
    Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you looking for strickly BJJ or would a mixed grappling class do? We have a small grappling class, that is a mix of several things I have studied. Plus my judo coach comes down twice a month for workshops. If you want BJJ I would recommend ninoschembribjj.com. They were in Redondo Beach but moved to Lawndale (2 small cities over, 5-10 minutes away) He lost a lot of his Manhattan Beach people when he did that, as they will not go to Lawndale. the very rich won't go East of PCH and the others won't go past Aviation.

Style
    none currently
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am intrigued by your words and the mixed grappling class you speak of.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    You're the oldest!? Damn, I have guys in there 70's training with me.
    Yes I'm the oldest..at least for now. The bjj class is relatively small...maybe 15-20 regulars.

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last