Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2012 8:38am

Style: Delusion

Hell yeah! Hell no!

I know better than my trainers

Been boxing for 2 and a half months now and I still regularly scrape all the skin on my the two hitting knuckles and bruise the inside of my palm.

Hurts like a mofo when it happens, around once every two weeks. I've been told to lay it easy on the power because I haven't been boxing for long but I mean come on. Thats no fun.

Is there some sort of exercise or something that I could do to deal with it? Soak my fist in brine or some **** like that?

The trainers advice is to switch to volume punching and focus on cardio and footwork. That **** isn't as fun as whaling on the bag and letting all the pent up anger you have just explode.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2012 4:20pm

Style: Western Boxing/Iron Palm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wear handwraps and gloves? Your gloves might just be old or shitty.

I do iron palm and it has (subjectively) helped with some hand issues I was having.

Posted On:
    8/07/2012 4:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're skinning your knuckles, your strikes are scraping the target at point of impact, which means less penetration of the target.

Your trainers may be trying to get you to volume-drill (hopefully with a trainer watching and correcting so that you don't simply err in volume) in order to improve your aim and focus.

That way, the scrapes won't happen as frequently. Also, better aim and focus will improve your strikes' efficacy: more result for less effort.

Posted On:
    8/07/2012 6:33pm

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah here is an exersise. Swich to volume punching and focus on cardio and footwork.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    8/07/2012 9:54pm

Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're losing skin on your knuckles, one of two things are happening. Either your gloves are so old and shitty that they aren't protecting your hands, or your technique sucks balls. I haven't seen your gloves, but considering all you want to do is wail on the heavy bag as hard as you can, I know which one I'm putting my money on.

As for advice, you could try listening to the people you're paying to teach you how to box.

Posted On:
    8/07/2012 10:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Yeah here is an exersise. Switch to volume punching and focus on cardio and footwork.
    But...but...OP WANTS TO WAIL!!!

Who cares about proper technique and having patience WHEN YA WANNA WAIL?!??!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2012 12:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stupid question, stupid answers. Fair enough.

Here I was hoping there was some sort of alternative to level grinding my form.
    Last edited by StepInCross; 8/08/2012 12:39am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/19/2012 7:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't want to create another thread and since my question is still about a fist injury, I'll ask it here.

I've got some swelling on my middle knuckle from a punching a wall in anger. Its not exactly severe and it doesn't here, at least it hasn't hurt yet. I just recently did it, though. Can I still train tomorrow? What should I do to help it heal quicker?

Posted On:
    8/19/2012 8:16am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is no magic bullet here, if you get yourself injured you will have to be patient or the injury will worsen. Your hands are your weapon in boxing, so you better take good care of them. One advice i can give you, don't hit hard surfaces because it will **** your hands up. Try kicking with the flat of your foot if you must act out your anger, or slam a door.

About the swelled knuckle, if it hurts when you touch it, you better skip boxing and go do some cardio and weight lifting.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/19/2012 8:28am

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What are you 12? Go see a fucking doctor. Then a head shrink you idiot.
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast