Sponsored Links Spacer Image

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    8/07/2012 7:27am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!

peroneal insertional tendonitis

so, i have a judo tournament coming up on sept 23, and my usual routine is to add some running, and other extra workouts to get ready for the additional stress of competition.

on sunday, went for my first run, an easy paced 3 miles, and came home, worked at my desk for a couple of hours and got up to go meet my wife for dinner to discover a great deal of foot an ankle pain in the area shown by this image, leading me to think that it is peroneal insertional tendonitis:

so all day monday i was in pain, i had an appointment with a massage therapist anyway, so i went and she did a lot of work on my leg, and said i needed to stretch it and rest up.

so no judo for a few days, and i'm going to find a different way to get my cardio in for the immediate future, cause i can't risk this happening again close to a tournament.

i was running in vibram five fingers shoes, and that may have contributed to the issue, but i used them for a 6-8 weeks previously on much harder runs without any issues, so i'm not sure. if i do run anytime soon, it will be with normal padded running shoes, and i think i will hire a running coach to correct my stride.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    12/02/2012 4:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That sucks man.
    I had a case of accute tendenatis in my arm, sorta lowerarm muscle towards the wrist, hurted like ****.
    I got a shot and a sorta stretch bandage to let the muscle rest, took a week to recover.

You know me...the snakebite hiss, the Devil's Grip, the Iron Fist

Posted On:
    12/02/2012 4:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Hung Fist, BJJ, Qi Gong

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you've got enough, dip your heel in the jow man. It works for this and I know for sure.

I have suffered heel tendonitis from karate since I was ten, and when it flares up I put a bit of jow in a container (not too much obviously) and let it soak for a bit. It works a lot better than things like naprosyn, which does terrible **** to my stomach.

And yeah, once you develop tendonitis in your lower foot like that it can last for years, coming and going, with running definitely impacting the area and bringing that pain back...so I wouldn't recommend running even with different shoes. Back in the day when I did run regularly, I would bicycle when the tendon flared up, which helped me keep pressure off the heel.

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 1:03am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    interestingly enough, using a foam roller has been enough to solve this issue. i have not been running, but that is because of the knee injury i got in 9/23
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 1:34am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where and how are you applying the foam roller?

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 10:05am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Where and how are you applying the foam roller?
    calves, IT bands, quads, pretty much my whole legs.

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 10:32am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there a reason you attribute your recovery to the roller rather than to the time off of running?

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 10:49am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is there a reason you attribute your recovery to the roller rather than to the time off of running?
    yes, because i was also developing plantar fasciitis and my calves and lower legs were very tight,so a PT at my dojo suggested using one to see if it would help. by rolling them daily i notice that they are more relaxed and i have had no foot pain.

now if/when i start running again, and the pain returns, i will reconsider, but i think it's pretty likely that the culprit was my tight legs.

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 10:58am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    yes, because i was also developing plantar fasciitis and my calves and lower legs were very tight,so a PT at my dojo suggested using one to see if it would help. by rolling them daily i notice that they are more relaxed and i have had no foot pain.

now if/when i start running again, and the pain returns, i will reconsider, but i think it's pretty likely that the culprit was my tight legs.
    I don't think you can really separate the two, logically.
    You could have rested without the roller and the condition may have subsided.
    I say this as a huge fan of foam rollers.
    (Not so much for the IT band itself however, people often over do that and it's not even really contractile tissue.)

I do think you're on the right track with the gait analysis if the pain returns, due to the asymmetry.

Posted On:
    12/03/2012 11:03am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think you can really separate the two, logically.
    You could have rested without the roller and the condition may have subsided.
    I say this as a huge fan of foam rollers.
    (Not so much for the IT band itself however, people often over do that and it's not even really contractile tissue.)

I do think you're on the right track with the gait analysis if the pain returns, due to the asymmetry.
    agreed. one thing that i will say is that this knee injury was the first time i have used a foam roller when dealing with swelling due to injury, and i think there was a major increase in blood flow, and faster healing because of the foam roller use. it really helped keep my quad from turning into a rock while my knee was unusable.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast