Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Noob BJJ

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Noob BJJ

I posted on here when I first began my classes in BJJ, two and a half years ago and never posted again.

I'm two years in, and I still don't have a blue belt, still get smashed by everyone, every single time I turn up to class, but most importantly, I'm still with the same teacher.

Can just about pass a guard, just and it now takes fractionally longer to submit me. Me in top side control is new uncharted territory! And these are the positives of my game.

Still a noob. Going for accolade of longest white belt ever held.

Style
    Hung Gar
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe someone here once echoed my feelings about this, so allow me to paraphrase....

NO STRIPE WHITE BELTS FOR LIFE!

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Quote Originally Posted by Barca18788 View Post
    I know a guy who's been a white belt for twelve years.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Style
    Striking/Grappling/Poking
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Welcome to Bullshido.

I know a guy who's been a white belt for twelve years.

Please elaborate. Why is he still a white belt? And while we have the expert here, what are your thoughts on what allows someone to grasp the technique and progress quickly through the art?
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Style
    Striking/Grappling/Poking
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Barca18788 View Post
    I posted on here when I first began my classes in BJJ, two and a half years ago and never posted again.

I'm two years in, and I still don't have a blue belt, still get smashed by everyone, every single time I turn up to class, but most importantly, I'm still with the same teacher.

Can just about pass a guard, just and it now takes fractionally longer to submit me. Me in top side control is new uncharted territory! And these are the positives of my game.

Might I ask how often, ie how many times per week you go to class. Also, how old are you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

Style
    brazillian jiu jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will tell you this: I got a blue belt when i shouldn't of had one (because I went to a Royce Gracie seminar and was training with a terrible instructor). I also didn't train regularly. Eventually I got a better teacher (Rubens Rodrigues with Gracie Barra), and started training regularly. I now have what I consider a real blue belt and two stripes. Don't know if that helps, but I was stuck for a long time.

Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Meh, I got my first stripe this year and I've got about 1.5 years (spread out over three years) grappling experience. Training consistently for the past few months and my game has improved in leaps and bounds.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I think Battlefields and I had a spirited discussion once about who was the biggest narcissist. We both wanted the title but at the end of the day I had to concede defeat. Can't win 'em all.
    Quote Originally Posted by BackFistMonkey View Post
    I <3 Battlefields...

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lord bd, agree with your sentiment, although I feel I would cheapen it by using it to somehow my justify my lack of skills.

The question, those are good questions. drilling vs live sparring, competition success, conditioning or a better understanding and application of technique?

Over my two and a half years, I didn't train for 9 months as I hurt my shoulder in a class. It really rattled me and affected my confidence. Combining that with a busy job, I didn't train consistently. Now I train BJJ in a class twice a week for 2 hours a class, and try to spend an hour at home just drilling a couple of techniques when I can.

It doesn't make a difference, but I'm female and weigh under 50kgs. I roll on majority with guys, so I'm consistently outweighed which probably accounts for the fact I get smashed every class. My focus is not to submit when. I roll and try not to get into bad positions, I have no use for submissions at present.

Thanks for the welcome.

Style
    (Beautiful) Spring Roll
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello Barca,

welcome back. I suggest you start a training log on here, it is an interesting outside-of-mat training tool.

Other than working on your mental status (not allowing yourself the "I will get crushed everytime regardless of what I do" attitude) I think simply more mat time will solve your problems. If you started out training regularly now, you will definitely see improvement soon.

I got my blue after 3 years of training and felt it was undeserved. I still didn't compete in the blue division, but I can hold my own against most of my fellow blues. Some folks are always ahead (talent, body type, cardio, etc.), but there ain't nothing massive mat time couldn't cure, in the long run. :-)

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Page 1 of 2 12 Last