Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2012 4:42pm

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Wow, you completely missed my point. I was a pot head for years big guy. I ate quite a few brownies in my time. By the way, if you saute the pot in butter before you add it to the brownie mix, the pot taste is significantly reduced.

Once again, you are externalizing your experience onto others.

I also have a friend with no sense of taste or texture. We once fed him a sandwich that was mostly grass (the kind that grows in your yard, not the illegal kind) and he ate it without complaining. Turns out, eating more than a little grass makes most people throw up. Not our best practical joke.

When I read your previous comment, I immediately thought of him.

This guy gets it.
    I get what you are saying. I'm just pointing out that the odds that he has a greatlt reduced sense of taste and smell are relatively insignificant. The odds that he could taste the difference are realtively high.

I live in California where you can walk down to just about every other street corner store and buy them legally provided you have the vaugest excuse to get a license. If you randomly poll 100 people who eat them and ask if they notice a signifcant taste difference more often than not all 100 will say yes. Not 98, not 99, 100.

I did a little asking around just to be sure I wasn't crazy. Of course no one here has any reason to believe me so ask around yourself. I haven't met a single person who would mistake a spiked browine for a clean one.

Also, yes I know about the butter, I know it helps but again, its way more noticable than say adding cinnimon to brownies which it also very very distinctive.

Anyway, I apologize for my previous comment which was pretty snarky and not really my style. I think in the big picture we agree that- intentional or not- it is not something that should get someone banned from the games and the kid got a raw deal.

And clearly there is no conclusive evidence one way or the other, but I find it much more likely that he knew what he was eating than he did not.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2012 12:01am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, to reiterate, Delpapolo was tested on July 20...weed can stay in your system for a very long time. Exactly how long is about as hotly debated as many subjects in the martial arts, but it can stay in your system for a couple weeks. Its effects las a couple hours (never had weed in dessert before though). The marijuana that he popped for had exactly zero effect on his competition. Delpapolo was upset and placed 7th (I am pretty sure 7th)...he was favored for a medal and is a very solid judoka, often considered one of the best from the US (lived with Jimmy Pedro Jr/Sr to train full time and trains with Mike Swain).

Posted On:
    8/08/2012 12:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BJMills View Post

I live in California where you can walk down to just about every other street corner store and buy them legally provided you have the vaugest excuse to get a license. If you randomly poll 100 people who eat them and ask if they notice a signifcant taste difference more often than not all 100 will say yes. Not 98, not 99, 100.
    I had a roomate that use to make oil much like you would butter and cooked all sorts of stuff, from rolled taquitos to brownies. Not being being found of being high especially off of edibles I learned that I had to ask because their was very hard to differentiate tell until after it was to late otherwise. Certainly the taste can be mild enough that you can get more then a more than a few bites before you know something is just a bit off.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    8/08/2012 1:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've met Nick and I train with people who know him very well. Nick did not strike me as the type of person who would take recreational drugs or do anything that would detract from his goals and his training. According to the people I train with, who have known Nick since he started in Judo, Nick is a straight arrow and has never dabbled in drugs. They also think there may have been some malice involved in slipping Nick the pot brownie.
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

Posted On:
    8/09/2012 1:44am

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wisdom
    don't disrespect someone who has put 1000% more into his martial arts training than you ever have.
    /thread

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    8/09/2012 2:01am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really? On Bullshido, of all places?

If he, say, had been found guilty of stealing a car, or, say, molesting a woman, would you say the same thing? "He is good at his sport and we personally like him"?

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    8/09/2012 2:17am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonist View Post
    Really? On Bullshido, of all places?

If he, say, had been found guilty of stealing a car, or, say, molesting a woman, would you say the same thing? "He is good at his sport and we personally like him"?
    I believe the points reiterated by the quote were:

A. Nick D. probably really put more effort into his MA training than most of us on here (although you're not arguing this point)

B. reactions going in the direction of "sonofagun should have thought twice" kind of sentence him before proven guilty. There is the possibility of unknowing/accidental consumation.

Nobody is saying if a world class judoka f*cks up big time consciously they won't be roasted on Bullshido. They will.

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    8/09/2012 3:32am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonuzaba View Post
    B. reactions going in the direction of "sonofagun should have thought twice" kind of sentence him before proven guilty. There is the possibility of unknowing/accidental consumation.
    Which would not be an issue if it wasn't that every single athlete ever failing a drug test in relation to a sports competition hadn't used that argument. For the LOLs, let's have some context.

And now, this one, who got "maliciously poisoned with hash cookies". I am indeed curious if the case gets investigated further, and if the details get fully publicized.

This is what Nick writes on his website:

http://nickdelpopolo.com/?p=1205

I would like to sincerely apologize to the U.S. Olympic Committee, USA Judo, my teammates, my fans, and everyone that has supported me throughout my Olympic journey. Im sorry that I let you down. Judo is my life and competing in the Olympics has always been my dream. I would never intentionally do anything to jeopardize that. I was in total disbelief when I was told by the IOC that my test results came back positive. After making frantic phone calls to friends and family following the results, a *family member confessed that the brownies she had baked (and that I had eaten a few weeks prior) contained marijuana. I had no idea that I had ingested marijuana until that moment. I slept the entire four hour drive home the day I ate the brownie, but thought that I was just extremely tired from training and travel. My family member sent a confession letter to the Olympic Committee immediately following the call. Words cannot express how devastated and remorseful I am for making such a big mistake. Although my actions were not deliberate, I know that I let down the entire nation, and for that I am truly sorry.
    [...]

What will happen to that family member now? Will she face legal consequences? Insurance claims by the Olympic team? If Delpopolo hadn't brought an explanation, would he faced some sort of prosecution? Etc. - Because if that wasn't the case, Nick could just have made up about whatever he wanted to exculpate himself, at least publicly.

Posted On:
    8/09/2012 3:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonist View Post
    Which would not be an issue if it wasn't that every single athlete ever failing a drug test in relation to a sports competition hadn't used that argument.
    Context this is usually regarding drugs that you know are actually performance enhancing not pot.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    8/09/2012 3:51am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Context this is usually regarding drugs that you know are actually performance enhancing not pot.
    Like, probably I wouldn't want to get stuck on a moot point, but, from my understanding, if Delpopolo could be held liable to damages, had he consumed the drugs intentionally, the reasons for his rules violation wouldn't matter, as long as the violation had been intentional.

(Wow, that was a truly Engrish sentence.)
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast