Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/06/2012 9:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

US Judoka Delpopolo tests positive for Cannabis

In a statement, the International Olympic Committee said: "(Mr Delpopolo) was requested on 30 July 2012, in London, at approximately 3:15 pm, immediately following the completion of his participation in the above-mentioned event, to provide a urine sample for a doping control.

"The analytical report of the laboratory analysis ...indicated the presence of 11-nor-delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol-9-carboxylic acid" (the main active compound of the product from cannabis).
    http://news.sky.com/story/969462/us-...-in-doping-row

Delpopolo has been disqualified from the Olympic games, had his diploma withdrawn and his Olympic identity and accreditation withdrawn.

http://www.olympic.org/Documents/Com...-Delpopolo.pdf

Shame I thought Delpopolo showcased some good Judo. He's now going have this tar his Games for the rest of his career and probably the rest of his days.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    8/06/2012 9:05am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This saddens me greatly; what a waste of talent and training. An elite, olympic athlete should be setting the standard, not rolling the dice. Michael Phelps odd behavior in 2008 was just as bad; no excuses.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2012 9:43am

Style: Aikido, Aikiken, Aikijo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Excuse me, i'm not familiar with doping matters, what positive effects are to be gained from cannabis usage?

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    8/06/2012 9:49am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i believe him, and that it was accidental. bad luck, and let's hope that if phelps' obviously non-accidental consumption didn't ruin his career, nick can come back from this as well.

i also think it's absurd that cannabis is on the banned substance list, but that's another discussion and i agree that athletes know what is banned and should make sure they will be clean if tested.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2012 9:55am

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilenzo View Post
    Excuse me, i'm not familiar with doping matters, what positive effects are to be gained from cannabis usage?
    None. There is a theory that marijuana can have a calming effect on fine motor skills and benefit such sports as shooting and archery...but I find that a bit of a stretch. The same findings also suggest there is no benefit whatsoever of high impact and aerobically intense sports like judo. Besides all that, the guy tested on 20 July making the effects of the drug completely null.

I don't know when people will realize weed is fat-soluable and stays in your system for a very long time. Anyway, I smoked weed immediately prior to a couple track meets in high school and it had absolutely no discernible effect on me whatsoever; positive or negative.

To paraphrase an ESPN personality, "C'mon on, man!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2012 11:44am

Style: Aikido, Aikiken, Aikijo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you very much, Daishi!

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    8/06/2012 12:26pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daishi View Post
    I don't know when people will realize weed is fat-soluable and stays in your system for a very long time. Anyway, I smoked weed immediately prior to a couple track meets in high school and it had absolutely no discernible effect on me whatsoever; positive or negative.
    I realize that THC stays in your system for a while. I agree that it probably won't have any effect on your performance of any task that does not require divided attention. The part I cannot understand is how someone who is on top of the world, would risk humiliation and loss of Olympic status over some bullshit weed craving.

Posted On:
    8/06/2012 1:54pm

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    he said consumption was accidental... which can happen.

for example, if it was in a brownie left out at a party, he might have been merely scratching a chocolate or sweet craving. he might not have realized it was spiked before feeling the effects, at which point it was too late.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    8/06/2012 3:00pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vinhthekid View Post
    he said consumption was accidental... which can happen.
    It can, indeed, happen, but if some rotten bastard spiked his **** as some kind of cruel joke, he needs to watch his six. Not hanging out with some shitheads that would screw his future up, would be my recommendation.
    Quote Originally Posted by vinthekid View Post
    for example, if it was in a brownie left out at a party, he might have been merely scratching a chocolate or sweet craving. he might not have realized it was spiked before feeling the effects, at which point it was too late.
    This comes down to the company you keep. Situational awareness. Cliche as that **** sounds, know where you are, who is around you, and what they are about at all times.

A person doesn't just become a world-class athlete by accident. You work, train, focus and sacrifice your family and social life to some degree. You also are mindful that anything that you put into your body either helps or harms it. If you are living in the Olympic Village, who is doing the baking?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/06/2012 3:03pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Edibles huh? Maybe his rivals at work!
Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast