Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2012 5:05pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question View Post
    Yeah, what up? You made a whole thread just to holla at me?
    LOL. **** that. All of the Americans and the Chinese put together couldn't smell Usain Bolt on the track.
    Because Bolt is the fucking man. Excuse me while I nutride, but did you see that ****? Did you fucking see that ****? 9.63 to add to his 9.58 and 9.69?
    And Yohan Blake, also Jamaican was in second, 9.75. Gay and Gatlin of the USA almost had an Asthma attack because of all the dust they inhaled.

But I see your point. But breaking **** up into States/Provinces would be pointless. I mean, what the **** is Alaska going to do?

Also, I like to judge that **** based on medals per capita. Jamaica will win 20 medals this year. We have 3 million people. That's 6.7 x 10^-6 medals per capita. The US may win 100 medals, but they have 300 million people, so that's 3 x 10^-7 medals per capita. Jamaica has them beat by at least one order of magnitude. It's motherfucking science, bro.
    A lot of Americans respect Usain Bolt out of sheer appreciation for his abilities and effort to get where he is. Great Britain are also big Bolt fans. I am really proud of that. I don't think the Chinese are all too pro non-Chinese.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    8/05/2012 5:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    We have 1 million and get occasional medals, quit your crying.

From 1924:

to the modern times, Hawai'i does quite well.
    From Beijing:

(Nice job from hometown kid Bryan Clay.)

So yeah, quit crying, you're a *****.
    I even left out the ones that didn't actually grow up here.
    Meh...
    Last edited by The Question; 8/05/2012 5:11pm at .
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    8/05/2012 5:08pm

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, what up? You made a whole thread just to holla at me?
    And you did not dissapoint me

LOL. **** that. All of the Americans and the Chinese put together couldn't smell Usain Bolt on the track.
    Because Bolt is the fucking man. Excuse me while I nutride, but did you see that ****? Did you fucking see that ****? 9.63 to add to his 9.58 and 9.69?
    And Yohan Blake, also Jamaican was in second, 9.75. Gay and Gatlin of the USA almost had an Asthma attack because of all the dust they inhaled.
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I think its even less about having the population to draw from does it help sure but with size I do believe you have a point of dimensioning returns. Hence why China, India, Russia, and the US are not the only medal winners.
    Bolt is the man, and thats what makes the whole thing worth watching, the spirit part. The little guys can beat the odds

I think a bigger indicator of tipping the balance are the resources involved.
    For something that was suppose to be amateur competitors its anything but in the US, the old USSR and now China.
    I bet the UK put a **** ton of resources into team GB, and it is paying off.

As to the ammature status issue, when they allowed pro tennis players and footballers compete the Olympics died for me.

But I see your point. But breaking **** up into States/Provinces would be pointless. I mean, what the **** is Alaska going to do?
    wait till the winter olympics

Also, I like to judge that **** based on medals per capita. Jamaica will win 20 medals this year. We have 3 million people. That's 6.7 x 10^-6 medals per capita. The US may win 100 medals, but they have 300 million people, so that's 3 x 10^-7 medals per capita. Jamaica has them beat by at least one order of magnitude. It's motherfucking science, bro.
    You can't argue with science
    Considered in the abstract the boxing ring is an altar of sorts, one of those legendary spaces where the laws of a nation are suspended: inside the ropes, during an officially regulated three-minute round, a man may be killed by his opponent's hands but he cannot be legally murdered. Boxing inhabits a sacred space predating civilization; or, to use D.H. Lawrence's phrase, before God was love. If it suggests a savage ceremony or a rite of atonement it also suggests the futility of such gestures. For what possible atonement is the fight waged if it must shortly be waged again... and again? The boxing match is the very image, the more terrifying for being so stylized, of mankind's collective aggression; its ongoing historical madness.
    Joyce Carol Oates, On Boxing

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    8/05/2012 5:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    We have 1 million
    So you saying Ireland could probably beat Hawai'i at football. result!
    Considered in the abstract the boxing ring is an altar of sorts, one of those legendary spaces where the laws of a nation are suspended: inside the ropes, during an officially regulated three-minute round, a man may be killed by his opponent's hands but he cannot be legally murdered. Boxing inhabits a sacred space predating civilization; or, to use D.H. Lawrence's phrase, before God was love. If it suggests a savage ceremony or a rite of atonement it also suggests the futility of such gestures. For what possible atonement is the fight waged if it must shortly be waged again... and again? The boxing match is the very image, the more terrifying for being so stylized, of mankind's collective aggression; its ongoing historical madness.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/05/2012 5:11pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its more of the chance for a pretty sizable finical reward in the form of endorsements then anything else. If you get a gold your going to be on a wheaties box, Nike is going to make a shoe, and so on and so forth.
    While certainly an outlier Michael Phelps worth ~40 million and certainly to grow by even more.
    LOL@media exaggeration. This is true for a limited number of sports for American Olympians . A very large majority go back to their regular jobs and have to pay taxes on the money they get for winning gold. Most NEVER get any type of endorsement. Also, they are still amateurs, looking for endorsement and sponsors.

Remember Lochte? The one that was supposed to be the next Michael Phelps? His parents house is going into foreclosure. His grill antics and other crap aren't going to help his cause.

It's probably a language barrier, between us, because you are comparing two different ideas.

As to the ammature status issue, when they allowed pro tennis players and footballers compete the Olympics died for me.
    I agree, but you must have stopped watching nearly 25 years ago.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 8/05/2012 5:15pm at .

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    8/05/2012 5:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daishi View Post
    A little less than 18,000 people live in my city and we've had a couple Olympians.
    You've had a couple of medal winners in London?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2012 5:17pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the Olympics are totally unfair! The US should definitely get an extra goal every football match!

Posted On:
    8/05/2012 5:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh? When did Hawaii secede from the United States?
    Secede? Lol...

I was just answering the ?, ftr.

...but since you asked, Hawai'i has a strong sovereignty movement that maintains we are an illegally overthrown sovereign nation, being occupied by the US.

United Nations Proceedings

Hawaiian Kingdom Complaint filed with U.N. Security Council against the United States

On July 5, 2001, the Agent for the Hawaiian Kingdom, H.E. David Keanu Sai, Acting Minister of Interior, filed with the Security Council at United Nations headquarters in New York a Complaint against the United States of America concerning the prolonged occupation of the Hawaiian Islands since the Spanish-American War of 1898.

The Complaint was filed with the Security Council in accordance with Article 35(2) of the United Nations Charter, which provides, "a State which is not a Member of the United Nations may bring to the attention of the Security Council or of the General Assembly any dispute to which it is a party if it accepts in advance, for the purpose of the dispute, the obligations of pacific settlement provided in the present Charter."

The Hawaiian Kingdom has requested the Security Council, in accordance with Article 36(1) of the United Nations Charter, to investigate the Hawaiian Kingdom question, in particular, the merits of the complaint, and to recommend appropriate procedures or methods of adjustment.
    http://www.hawaiiankingdom.org/political-history.shtml

Is Hawaii Really a State of the Union?

[NOTE: The following essay discusses, as a basis for independence, how Hawaii illegally became a state in 1959, but it is important to keep in mind that Hawaii's independence was recognized via treaty by the United States (as well as all major nations of the world in the 19th century) and thus the situation with Hawaii is distinct from all other non-self-governing territories which were placed under Article 73 of the UN Charter. Hawaii should never have been a territory/colony of the United States, and it is not required to undergo a formal decolonization process at this time in order to restore independence. The illegality of the overthrow and annexation are well documented in the United State's own official apology, so the purpose of this essay is to counter the assumption that the 1959 statehood vote legitimized the United States' occupation of Hawaii.]

The following information provides an historical perspective on how Hawaii came to be integrated into the United States as a state of the Union, and the fact that this status is not and has never been legally valid.

Obviously America claims that Hawaii is part of their country, and most people, in Hawaii, on the 'mainland' and around the world, have tended to accept that as so.

The common understanding is that in 1959, a plebiscite was held in which the people of Hawaii voted to become a state of the Union, and on August 18, 1959, Hawaii was admitted to the Union.

What led up to this event?

In 1945, at the end of World War II, the United Nations was established. In the Charter of the UN, a special provision was made for certain areas of land, including Hawaii, which was placed under CHAPTER XI, DECLARATION REGARDING NON-SELF-GOVERNING TERRITORIES

Article 73

"Members of the United Nations which have or assume responsibilities for the administration of territories whose peoples have not yet attained a full measure of self-government recognize the principle that the interests of the inhabitants of these territories are paramount, and accept as a sacred trust the obligation to promote to the utmost, within the system of international peace and security established by the present Charter, the well-being of the inhabitants of these territories, and, to this end:

a. to ensure, with due respect for the culture of the peoples concerned, their political, economic, social, and educational advancement, their just treatment, and their protection against abuses;

b. to develop self-government, to take due account of the political aspirations of the peoples, and to assist them in the progressive development of their free political institutions, according to the particular circumstances of each territory and its peoples and their varying stages of advancement;

c. to further international peace and security;

[d. - concerns "constructive measures of development," research, etc.]

e. to transmit regularly to the Secretary-General, for informational purposes, subject to such limitation as security and constitutional considerations may require, statistical and other information of a technical nature relating to economic, social, and educational conditions in the territories for which they are respectively responsible other than those territories to which Chapters XII and XIII apply."

So Hawaii, under Article 73, was a part of the UN system, and was placed under the administering authority of the United States, which, to reiterate, agreed to "develop self-government, to take due account of the political aspirations of the peoples, and to assist them in the progressive development of their free political institutions..." with "due respect for the cultures of the peoples concerned..."
    More here:
    http://www.hawaii-nation.org/statehood.html

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/05/2012 5:22pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daishi View Post
    I think the Olympics are totally unfair! The US should definitely get an extra qualification every football match!
    Fixed.

Posted On:
    8/05/2012 5:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    A very large majority go back to their regular jobs and have to pay taxes on the money they get for winning gold.
    This is very very true, what I said was mostly hyperbole.
    revised statement the opportunity for the elite in popular sports are all but amateur.

Interesting article on this
    http://www.moneyunder30.com/how-much...lps-not-enough

Shows that the US is on the lower end of rewarding Olympians that throws one of my points into the trash all together.
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast