Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/05/2012 3:15pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The argument is pointless though.

Grappling is a key component. Your worldclass grappling may only put you on a level playing field but you'd likely be fucked without it.

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    8/05/2012 4:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dflanmod View Post
    The argument is pointless though.

Grappling is a key component. Your worldclass grappling may only put you on a level playing field but you'd likely be fucked without it.
    Yes. And I'm saying that a couple of years ago. You could have gotten by without that ****. You woulda felt safe if you had a little bit of experience. Now you need to be damn. Good. It's only been a few years, and it shows how fast the sport is growing and makes you wonder where it will be in the future, especially since motherfuckers are training from since they're kids and what not. It wasn't supposed to be a fucking argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Posted On:
    8/05/2012 4:25pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question View Post
    This thread wasn't supposed to be about motherfucking hard work vs talent, because that's discussion's woulda been had several hundred times in the last month or so. It was meant to be about grappling technique becoming less and less a deciding factor in ones success as a fighter as more motherfuckers start to train in that ****.
    I see what your saying, yet I see it more of a grappling Arms Race. Its still a requirement you can't get into the ring with out having enough skill to at least stay safe and survive in a grapple in order to get it back to the feet.
    I would say a BJJ Blue(or equivalent) would be the absolute min you would want or your still in quite a bit of danger of being submitted or ground and pounded badly.

Posted On:
    8/05/2012 4:27pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes. And I'm saying that a couple of years ago. You could have gotten by without that ****. You woulda felt safe if you had a little bit of experience. Now you need to be damn. Good. It's only been a few years, and it shows how fast the sport is growing and makes you wonder where it will be in the future, especially since motherfuckers are training from since they're kids and what not. It wasn't supposed to be a fucking argument.
    I think the thing here is your going to have a generation of fighters who trained specifically for MMA ruleset. These people will be better than people who trained in other styles and adapted to the rule set.

Posted On:
    8/05/2012 4:33pm

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it must be being hung like a Nepalese whooping-llama that gives me the edge.

I don't know if its the simple physicality of it, or the resulting level of self assurance.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Posted On:
    8/05/2012 4:41pm

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread wasn't supposed to be about motherfucking hard work vs talent, because that's discussion's woulda been had several hundred times in the last month or so. It was meant to be about grappling technique becoming less and less a deciding factor in ones success as a fighter as more motherfuckers start to train in that ****.
    I am going to say the wrong technique. The ability to do the simple mechanics flawlesly and to be able to back that up with striking. goes a long way. I rarely see super moves that I don't recognise.

But for us wrestling is pushed as a will game. You want them down more than they want to stay up.

And cats play a guard game. Allways have.
    Last edited by gregaquaman; 8/05/2012 4:45pm at .
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2012 11:12pm

Style: TKD, Boxing, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn I just looked up all of the official mma/UFC rules and It's a lot more than just "common sense" like I thought.

The rules basically forbid any kind of kicking or stomping of anyone on the ground, even if both of you are on the ground. There is no headbutting, no knees to the head, no slamming the opponent's head on the mat, no grabbing the opponent's hands or the fence, or hair, anything to the groin, biting, fishhooking, no hammers to the back of the neck, small joint manipulation ( fingers, toes ) etc etc etc.

That's all great for the sport and keeps **** from becoming a street fight, but it basically eliminates any natural non bjj/ trained wrestling style fighting on the ground besides basic punches. So either you learn grapple, or you get grappled. You can't just get away without it anymore because the sport kind of revolves around it now.

Posted On:
    8/06/2012 12:10am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Urbanassassin View Post
    That's all great for the sport and keeps **** from becoming a street fight, but it basically eliminates any natural non bjj/ trained wrestling style fighting on the ground besides basic punches. So either you learn grapple, or you get grappled.
    Grappling against someone who doesn't know how to grapple pretty much does that on its own, to be honest. You can see that from the old UFC footage when those rules weren't all in effect.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    8/06/2012 2:18am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you think everyone in MMA has ground game, I'd like to introduce you to the amateur scene in the midwest. I once met a guy who was 10-1 who's only training consisted of karate and submissions he had learned off of youtube.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Posted On:
    8/06/2012 3:10am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    in the midwest.