Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/05/2012 6:08am

Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My owie

We got a new striking coach at my school and he wears us the hell out. One of the drills he has us do is combinations on the heavy bag and if we **** up what he calls out, pushups. A LOT of pushups. I woke up this morning with a "tight" pain near my elbow on the tricep side of my arm after training yesterday morning. I feel it more when I either extend my arm completely or contract it completely. Even more when I contract. This doesn't feel like any sore muscle I ever had before, it also doesn't feel debilitating. I was doing the pushups in 16 oz gloves. Has anyone ever felt something like this? Should I lay off training til the pain goes away? Can you answer any questions you feel I should have asked??
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Posted On:
    8/05/2012 10:31am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup. Nope. You'll be fine. Ask me when you've done so many push-ups in a day that you can't bend your arms without stretching out your triceps first and need assistance to put a shirt on.

Posted On:
    8/05/2012 10:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks man. It's just a different kind of sore and in a different place than I'm used to. Last time I thought a pain wasn't that bad it turned out to be bursitis so I had to ask.
    Start a training log!

i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Posted On:
    8/05/2012 11:04am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, that's fair. In a couple of days it'll probably settle down to regular muscle sore.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    8/05/2012 11:54am

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained in a hot gym yesterday and I've noticed that when I train on really hot days, I'm much more sore the next day esp in my arm and leg joints. It could be the heat just exacerbates the inflammation from your regular training regimen and leads to extra discomfort later on. Massage the tissue..keep it mobilized, imo.

Posted On:
    8/05/2012 12:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not a bad idea Wabbit. I should probably do a little more stretching before class as well. Are there any good stretches for the elbow to shoulder area besides bringing your arm straight across your chest and grabbing behind your elbow with the other arm and the one where you lift your arm and bend it to where your hand points towards your shoulder blade while grabbing behind the elbow with the other arm?

While I'm at it, any shoulder stretches that might help alleviate the pain from the bursitis would be appreciated.
    Start a training log!

Posted On:
    8/05/2012 4:49pm

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A nerve runs from your shoulder to almost past your wrist. Swelling along your arm can activate that nerve. Try ice straight after. Or heat and ice if it has been a few days.

But I am thinking a bit of tenis elbow.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    8/05/2012 8:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Will do. I'm hoping this is just a normal sore muscle pain from doing closed fist pushups instead of normal pushups. Maybe the closed fist style works a different/slightly larger muscle group.
    Start a training log!