Page 2 of 2 First 12

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bix View Post
    Hola people of Bullshido.

Yes, I know that knowing the area and what some others charge, most likely it's around $150 a month, and given what I've read, it seems like a good value. Still, no prices on the website/over the phone feels like a scammy lock me into a contract gym tactic even if I trust them.

Thanks,
    -David
    I don't knows the American standard.
    In Italy my Judo dojo costs 240 Euro/year plus 12 Euro of Fijlkam (Italian Judo Federation) registration fees.

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by italian judoka View Post
    I don't knows the American standard.
    In Italy my Judo dojo costs 240 Euro/year plus 12 Euro of Fijlkam (Italian Judo Federation) registration fees.
    you can't compare the prices of martial arts instruction in europe and the US, especially judo. a friend of mine is a highly ranked international competitor for italy, and he told me a lot about how dojos are run over there, he even gets to be a professional judoka, which doesn't even happen for a lot of olympic competitors here in the US. you're comparing apples and oranges.

you can't even really compare the rates for judo instruction across the US, to be honest. for instance, here in NYC, all martial arts are very expensive, and judo which is usually cheap and widely available, is not so cheap and not so widely available here.

within the US, a lot of the difference in pricing comes down to location, dojos are expensive to run in a major metropolitan area, rents are high, and other associated costs are as well. plus in NYC one can choose between two different kodokan 8th dans or a kodokan 7th dan (what an fantastic choice to have to make!) but none of their dojos are cheap.

when it comes to BJJ in the NYC area, the decision gets even more complex, there are several world class BJJ gyms, and a bunch of other really solid ones. choosing a gym is difficult and has a lot to do with what one is really willing to put into training (training time, travel time, and of course, money.) it's a personal choice and depends a lot on your personal situation and training goals.

so my point is that comparing prices to other parts of the world is sort of pointless. what one needs to do is look at their options, evaluate those options and make an educated choice, taking all the factors into consideration.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks to everyone for their replies, especially the the link to the thread from last year.

I think the main reasons that really got me wondering about the price quoting are:

- The first couple places I looked into happened to be more open with pricing.
    - Martial arts schools are effectively in the exercise/gym business, so not being upfront about pricing does evoke thoughts of scammy gym contracts, even if their reasoning is more valid. Planet Fitness is the most notorious, IIRC. Plus, being in metro NY, there are the requisite Tiger Schulmann's Karate/Mixed Martial Arts contract horror stories.

Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, but you are making a stretch to fit your point. I've called places, received a quote, came in and that was the year contract or pre-pay membership with a year in advance. There is no hard and fast rule on which school is honest if you get prices on the phone and which one is not.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you misunderstood my post.

I'm saying that:

- I fully realize that not giving a quote over the phone/online does not automatically make a school scammy (or vice versa).

- I wanted to make the thought process behind my original questions more clear. Which is basically "Ok, it seems like everything checks out with School X, but what are the reasons that lead honest schools like [School X] to go this route when on the surface it would give me some pause?"

Regardless of the facts that I know School X has a good reputation, I'm ready and willing to go and check them out in person, and on an intellectual level I know that not giving a quote is just part of how most schools do business and that they have valid reasons for it, my instinctual reaction to "Well, we don't give prices over the phone..." is still "Oh..."

I hope that makes sense :)

Page 2 of 2 First 12