224866 Bullies, 3130 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 12
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. 1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Combat 8- Sept 1, 2012- An Australian Innovation in Sport Fighting



    www.combat8.com.au

    If I told you about an emerging sport that combined Boxing and MMA, allowed dirty boxing and ensured a ground game that wouldn’t tolerate “lay and pray”, would you be interested? If not, then you have the wrong website address and there is nothing for you here. If so, then read on, fellow Bully.


    I present to you Combat 8, the newest ruleset for our beloved sport martial arts, developed over the past two years by CEO, Nathan Swadling. Promising fast paced and brutal action, this has me so excited I can barely keep my hands out of my pants. Fortunately I type with both hands, so I'm safe. For now.


    Fought in a square cage, and by eliminating kicks, the idea is to draw the fighters closer together. With the smaller 6 ounce gloves, supremely accurate and technical Boxing is a must on the outside, while dirty boxing is encouraged if it is a fighter's style on the inside. It all adds to the spectacle, baby! However, a Boxer cannot rely solely on his technical punching ability, or even his heavy hands, for he must also be wary of a slam down, which allows a grappler 30 seconds on the floor to dominate and submit their opponent. It's like Nathan looked at MMA and Boxing and devised a sport based on the question, "how can we see more hectic knockouts and more flying submissions?"


    Personally, I love the ground game rules, it takes the Judo approach to the ground game, either get it done or get the **** back up and fight. Except when you get back up, you're getting back up to punch on.



    In my discussions with Nathan I asked a few questions about the rules, wanting to understand them better. As with all sports, there will be a period of adjustment, evolution, if you will, of the ruleset, but for the time being you can check out the rules here: http://www.combat8.com.au/about-us/rules






    Now, some big names in Australian Boxing and MMA are already signed, or are extremely interested in participating in these shows. You can see some of the fighters already signed here:

    http://www.combat8.com.au/fighters


    I can't name them until it's official, but I have been personally contacted by someone that is renowned in both Boxing and MMA, in Australia and the UK, and I know that they are keen to participate, it's down to scheduling and all that other management guff. I'm not one to blow smoke up anyone's arse, but I can tell you now, the level of interest in Combat 8 is unprecedented.


    The first show is to be held at Newcastle Panthers on September the 1st, 2012. Justin Murray and Les Piper are headlining the card with Greg Foley and Tui Leveni, showcasing some awesome fighters and showing the world the newest sport.








    Fortunately I have been lucky enough to have been granted access to an insider's view of the sport, including exclusive information and interviews with the fighters and Nathan himself. I look forward to working with Combat 8. With two more events already planned and populated, cards that are including female fighters, I know I have said it before, but I'm hella excited.
    Last edited by battlefields; 8/03/2012 8:53am at .

  2. Nefron is offline
    Nefron's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Posts
    1,587

    Posted On:
    8/03/2012 11:00am


     

    5
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    [
    Fought in a square cage, and by eliminating kicks, the idea is to draw the fighters closer together.
    No. Kicking heads is awesome. There should be more kicks.



    See?
  3. battlefields is offline
    battlefields's Avatar

    Moderator

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Australia, Land of Oz
    Posts
    5,223

    Posted On:
    8/03/2012 5:58pm

    forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

    -1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You mustn't have read the entire article, or you are retarded. This is a ruleset for BOXERS and mixed martial artists, each giving a little something up in their area of expertise in order to gain a little advantage in their opponents area of expertise. The mixed martial artists give up kicks and the boxers must learn to defend a dominating ground game. This isn't rocket science, Nefron, if you want to see a boxer fight an MMAer in this era, you gotta make concessions.

    We all know you like kicking, Nefron, but there's a ruleset that already has lots of kicking. You'd love it. It's called WTF TKD.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
  4. Colin is offline
    Colin's Avatar

    LVL 99 Photomancer

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    3,120

    Posted On:
    8/04/2012 4:12am

    supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like a great way to get boxers into MMA. I approve.
  5. Nefron is offline
    Nefron's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Posts
    1,587

    Posted On:
    8/04/2012 8:07am


     

    5
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    This isn't rocket science, Nefron, if you want to see a boxer fight an MMAer in this era, you gotta make concessions.


  6. itwasntme is online now
    itwasntme's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    WNC
    Posts
    1,601

    Posted On:
    8/04/2012 12:24pm

    supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This sounds like a fun sporting event to watch. I was telling the jitsu and striking coaches at my school about this this morning and the jitsu coach said this is the ruleset used in Russia. Is this gonna be viewable online at some point? Also, any idea where the name comes from?
    Start a training log!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.
  7. battlefields is offline
    battlefields's Avatar

    Moderator

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Australia, Land of Oz
    Posts
    5,223

    Posted On:
    8/04/2012 6:03pm

    forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The names are Aussie and known in the local scenes. There will be international additions down the track, of which I will keep you informed.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
  8. Like Water is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    228

    Posted On:
    8/07/2012 6:59pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    You mustn't have read the entire article, or you are retarded. This is a ruleset for BOXERS and mixed martial artists, each giving a little something up in their area of expertise in order to gain a little advantage in their opponents area of expertise. The mixed martial artists give up kicks and the boxers must learn to defend a dominating ground game. This isn't rocket science, Nefron, if you want to see a boxer fight an MMAer in this era, you gotta make concessions.

    We all know you like kicking, Nefron, but there's a ruleset that already has lots of kicking. You'd love it. It's called WTF TKD.
    Would I love to watch? **** yes, can't complain about upping the percentage of brutal knockouts. Would I compete? Not ever. 30 seconds on the ground? It might as well be a boxing match with smaller gloves. Those rules damn near took the newaza out of Judo competitions, why should this be any different?
  9. itwasntme is online now
    itwasntme's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    WNC
    Posts
    1,601

    Posted On:
    8/07/2012 7:11pm

    supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    The names are Aussie and known in the local scenes. There will be international additions down the track, of which I will keep you informed.
    I think something was lost in my question maybe. Where does the name "Combat8" come from?
    Start a training log!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.
  10. battlefields is offline
    battlefields's Avatar

    Moderator

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Australia, Land of Oz
    Posts
    5,223

    Posted On:
    8/07/2012 7:19pm

    forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Like Water View Post
    Would I love to watch? **** yes, can't complain about upping the percentage of brutal knockouts. Would I compete? Not ever. 30 seconds on the ground? It might as well be a boxing match with smaller gloves. Those rules damn near took the newaza out of Judo competitions, why should this be any different?
    I have to say I agree to a degree, but disagree almost entirely. Judo doesn't allow flying submissions (from memory, correct me if I'm wrong), Combat8 does. When you see a submission in Judo competition it is often brutally fast and hard. The ruleset of Combat8 basically says you have 30 seconds to submit an opponent, do it hard and fast.

    Just remember, though, that, as in all sports, there will be an evolution of the ruleset.

    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    I think something was lost in my question maybe. Where does the name "Combat8" come from?
    Stay tuned, I am organising interviews with the CEO of Combat8, as well as the fighters and the trainers. Battlefields will look after you.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.