• Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2012 6:48pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!

benefits of circling compared to stationary

Trying to see what are the pros and cons of standing in the middle of the ring/cage and fighting (taking the center letting the person circle you) and then coming out having the other person taking th center and you circle/footwork around them.
    I was talking to my trainer and they both have there benefits.
    I know there is some smart people on this site and I wanted to just see what yous do and what techniques/strategys are beneficial for each way.
    Thank you

Posted On:
    8/09/2012 4:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know too much about Martial arts as a noob here but I'm pretty sure a moving target is harder to hit then a stationary target.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    8/09/2012 5:10pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shs101 View Post
    Trying to see what are the pros and cons of standing in the middle of the ring/cage and fighting (taking the center letting the person circle you) and then coming out having the other person taking th center and you circle/footwork around them.
    I know there is some smart people on this site and I wanted to just see what yous do and what techniques/strategys are beneficial for each way.
    Thank you
    Your questions have all been basic rather than advanced. The general guideline is, if you're asking how to perform a technique, it belongs in the Basic Technique forum. If you're asking a specific question on how to improve upon or solve a problem using a technique you already know, then it probably belongs in one of the advanced forum. The more precise the nature of the question, the more likely it is an advanced one.

"How do I do this?" is a basic question. "Which one of these 2 techniques works better? Circling in the center, or circling on the outside?" is also basic in nature. Understand?

Quote Originally Posted by hwoain View Post
    I don't know too much about Martial arts as a noob here but I'm pretty sure a moving target is harder to hit then a stationary target.
    You're such a noob, you misunderstood his question. Please don't post in the technique forums if you don't have direct experience with the topic being discussed.
    Shut the hell up and train.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/09/2012 5:59pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shs101 View Post
    Thank you
    Staying in the center of the ring actually requires moving around, and circling is not something that is done just for the sake of circling. Here's my take on the question:

Footwork is an attempt to improve your relative position to your opponent. The perfect circling footwork would end when you got behind your opponent. Naturally, he will not allow this, so he will adjust, which will cause you to adjust, and so on.

This can lead to two fighters continuously circling around each other, occasionally throwing some strikes out there but probably not building much momentum, as the other guy is circling away. The way to stop this, though, isn't to stay in the center of the ring and wait, because they can still circle around you if you're just standing there, so you're not exactly improving the problem, unless your stillness compels them to attack you.

The other way to not respond to a circler that you want to hit is to circle in time with theirs- now both of you are moving, but you are not inhibiting them at all, and are probably getting out of their way without realizing it.

I like to use lateral sidesteps to stop someone from circling around me. It took a while to figure this out, because I used to automatically circle if they circled. Now, I try to sidestep in the direction they're trying to circle, to cut off their path. This tactic can be used to corral the other person into a corner, and the more they're in the corner, the less area there is to circle around.

So, I'd say that taking the center isn't super important. If I'm in the center and my opponent is circling around me, they're able to circle freely in either direction, and I don't like that. If they get more than halfway around me, I think its time to lateral step to cut off their path. Keeping them in a corner with the other three corners to your back > staying in the center

Posted On:
    8/09/2012 9:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I like to use lateral sidesteps to stop someone from circling around me. It took a while to figure this out, because I used to automatically circle if they circled. Now, I try to sidestep in the direction they're trying to circle, to cut off their path. This tactic can be used to corral the other person into a corner, and the more they're in the corner, the less area there is to circle around.
    I also found that when you cut people off with lateral movement, they tend to try circling out faster without attacking. Most of the time its too late, and you are already in a position. You can time a kick so that they circle right into it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2012 1:30am

Style: Delusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ask a trainer and prepare for a biased answer.

Trainers that favor claiming the center of the ring, cutting off the opponent and leading them into a corner will preach to you of how it is the best method.

Trainers that favor staying outside, circling and cutting angles will then preach to you the same.

Posted On:
    8/12/2012 2:04am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Circling superior to backpeddling is a fact