Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. #11

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NY, NY
    Posts
    157
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question View Post
    In the Anderson Silva Sonnen fight, Silva throws a flying knee. Yes, his foot doesn't come off the ground, so technically it's not flying, but the only reason for that is that Sonnen was sitting and therefore the target was below. No elaborate setup, no charging across the cage. Simply move body forward, do knee, profit. Stop overthinking it.
    http://i45.tinypic.com/azdr20.gif
    But he DOES take a step - that's all it takes... if both feet were off the ground at any point, it would be a flying knee, but to your point, it's a low target.

    I'm not saying there needs to be an elaborate set-up, nor do you need a runway built into the cage/ring. The last thing you want to do, beyond fundamentals, is overthink or overanalyze a technique. I was just offering some set-ups (elaborate or no) before pulling off a flying knee because, unlike a jab, it's not the quickest technique to pull off for the non-Silvas of us out there. Also because I assumed that the person on the receiving end would not be knocked on their ass beforehand. You DO need to take a step (even a small one) to overcome the inertia before pulling off a flying knee with any force behind it.

  2. #12
    The Question's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,593
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KickPuncher View Post
    But he DOES take a step - that's all it takes... if both feet were off the ground at any point, it would be a flying knee, but to your point, it's a low target.

    I'm not saying there needs to be an elaborate set-up, nor do you need a runway built into the cage/ring. The last thing you want to do, beyond fundamentals, is overthink or overanalyze a technique. I was just offering some set-ups (elaborate or no) before pulling off a flying knee because, unlike a jab, it's not the quickest technique to pull off for the non-Silvas of us out there. Also because I assumed that the person on the receiving end would not be knocked on their ass beforehand. You DO need to take a step (even a small one) to overcome the inertia before pulling off a flying knee with any force behind it.
    No you do not need to take a step. You can if you want to. You can step before any technique for added torque and power, whether it is a roundkick or a hook. But you don't need to take a step. I just threw 2 flying knees without a step. If I had a working video camera that didn't use discs, I would take a video and fucking show that ****.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

  3. #13

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NY, NY
    Posts
    157
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question View Post
    No you do not need to take a step. You can if you want to. You can step before any technique for added torque and power, whether it is a roundkick or a hook. But you don't need to take a step. I just threw 2 flying knees without a step. If I had a working video camera that didn't use discs, I would take a video and fucking show that ****.
    I, too, tried to do flying knees without a step, and I must still disagree, sir. Everytime I did it, it just felt like some stomp the yard drumline ****. Perhaps I don't have the air-hump power that you have from your octo-cock.

    Shake on it? Agreeing to disagree, I mean. Not the octo-cock.

  4. #14
    The Question's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,593
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KickPuncher View Post
    I, too, tried to do flying knees without a step, and I must still disagree, sir. Everytime I did it, it just felt like some stomp the yard drumline ****. Perhaps I don't have the air-hump power that you have from your octo-cock.

    Shake on it? Agreeing to disagree, I mean. Not the octo-cock.
    **** agreeing to disagree. You will listen to the motherfucking truth.

    When do you see your coach next? Ask him. If you don't have the airhump power, you need to train your airhump power. Really. That **** is flash. A move you have to charge across the ring to use can't possibly come into use very often, can it?

    Look at these videos. 70% of these knees are thrown off the charge. They are not set up unless you count running full tilt down the ring as a set up. The first is a good example, there is one quarter step forward followed by the unleashing. That's what you want.

    Also, look at the Human Weapon models, you will see that there is no step. Just do the fucking thing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

  5. #15

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NY, NY
    Posts
    157
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question View Post
    **** agreeing to disagree. You will listen to the motherfucking truth.

    When do you see your coach next? Ask him. If you don't have the airhump power, you need to train your airhump power. Really. That **** is flash. A move you have to charge across the ring to use can't possibly come into use very often, can it?

    Look at these videos. 70% of these knees are thrown off the charge. They are not set up unless you count running full tilt down the ring as a set up. The first is a good example, there is one quarter step forward followed by the unleashing. That's what you want.

    Also, look at the Human Weapon models, you will see that there is no step. Just do the fucking thing.

    Dude, don't know why you think that I think you need to run a quarter-mile before unleashing a flying knee. I never said that. I've said quite a few times that you need a step. Just a step. A quarter-step is fine. That quarter-step will let you power up that **** quite nicely. So we might be in agreement here. Trust me, I have air-hump power. That's where a good portion of any straight knee's power comes from.

    Also, while entertaining, **** Human Weapon from a technical standpoint. They lost me as soon as they started talking about the force of a knee travels upward (check it out bros, physics!!!). Derp, can we use a double-uppercut in the ring? No, son, no you cannot. Go out back and wait for your beating.

    Step, yes! 100M dash? No!

  6. #16
    TheMightyMcClaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Posts
    3,458
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My best luck has been throwing a 1-2 or 1-2-1 or 1-2-1-2 or however many straight punches to the head it takes to get the guy to shell up and back away, and then throw the flying knee to the body. A lot of times I can get a collar tie or two in when I land the knee, so it served as a clinch entry as well.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO