Page 1 of 2 12 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dan Inosanto's Academy

Would any experts here recommend Dan Inosanto's Jeet Kun Do Academy in LA?

I've had people tell me that "I'm so lucky to live so close to Dan's Academy" and stuff like that, but I wanted to check with you guys first. I just don't want to get scammed.

I want to have my face turned into oatmeal. I want to hate my instructor because he/she pushes me so hard. I want to go home and lie in a fetal position from the pain of training. I want the real deal.

I was also considering BJJ and looking at The Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy in Torrance. Has anyone trained here?

Thanks
    Last edited by voyager; 1/31/2008 10:52pm at .

AikidoBot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In spite of what some other web-sites would have you believe, we here at Bullshido.net welcome you, voyager, with open arms and hope that you will share with us your unique experiences and ideas on the martial arts.... so that we may then make fun of those experiences and ideas.

Style
    Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you choose one of Dan's higher-contact classes, you will meet this requirement. I also think Marc Denny(aka crafty dog) teaches a dog brothers FMA class at the academy right now too.

The gift that keeps on giving supporting member
    Style
    On hiatus
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by voyager

I've had people tell me that "I'm so lucky to live so close to Dan's Academy" and stuff like that, but I wanted to check with you guys first. I just don't want to get scammed.
    Although I'm sure there are posters here that are familiar with that school, I would recommend that you go check them out and then come back and tell us what you think. You're the one that lives close by and so it should be easy for you to form your own opinion that we could talk about here on the boards.

I want to have my face turned into oatmeal. I want to hate my instructor because he/she pushes me so hard. I want to go home and lie in a fetal position from the pain of training. I want the real deal.
    Uh, just no. Trust me, you don't want that at all.

Welcome to Bullshido.

Style
    Millenary Joesondo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I was also considering BJJ and looking at The Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy in Torrance. Has anyone trained here?

Thanks
    You're lucky.

Check that school, sadly I live a little far from there to have the experience of that school. But I know that Inosanto is an ever developing martial artist. He includes BBJ on his training, as far I know he has BJJ black belt teaching there, just ask.

And yes, you don't want that, isn't even good for your health. A good instructor isn't such a asshole.

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aren't 10th planet and Hastyan in LA too(spelling?)

Style
    Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I checked them out when I was living in Cali just for an evening. Their pricing was bad, I believe they had a contract too. That's a no no for me.

I was not at all impressed with their ground fighting, and I watched Dan himself teach what appeared to be very basic kick boxing for an hour.

My opinion at the time was that it wasn't a worthwhile place to train.

Style
    VT/BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah- I would.

I know a few People who flew over from the UK just to train there.

Man there's some really fucking good schools in LA.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood supporting member
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I want to have my face turned into oatmeal. I want to hate my instructor because he/she pushes me so hard. I want to go home and lie in a fetal position from the pain of training. I want the real deal. Thanks
    I can squirt Oatmeal on your face and leave you lying in the fetal position sobbing from the pain if you like and I won't even charge you for it!
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Style
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettatore
    I checked them out when I was living in Cali just for an evening. Their pricing was bad, I believe they had a contract too. That's a no no for me.

I was not at all impressed with their ground fighting, and I watched Dan himself teach what appeared to be very basic kick boxing for an hour.

My opinion at the time was that it wasn't a worthwhile place to train.

Dan's a Machado Black belt, and is a full shooto instructor under Nakamura.....can you tell me what was poor about the instruction?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last