Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 1415 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/02/2012 8:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wikidbounce View Post
    Learn the secret Bareknucklee training techniques involving a strict diet of guinness and battered sausages. Have a bake on ye like a facking joyriders front bumper.
    Holy crap that was intense! Kind of heartbreaking too. (Seeing as how these are basically extended families fighting each other)

I can imagine this tribalism and ritualised fighting between "clan champions" is probably as old as Ireland. The grand standing. The formality of "fair play". The fact that these men fight not just for themselves but for the name of their whole tribe. There were moments where it seemes like this is a glimpse of something ancient. Like you could go back to the middle ages and witness a similar contest between villages. Complete with the **** talk, clan rivalries and open ended beefs to be settled "at the next gathering".

The purely personal nature of it makes the drama all that more intense. Sprot fighting is for sport. THese men fight for the very concept of honor and respect. (and a little windfall doesn't hurt either...) They fight for family name. They fight because they live in the shadow of their relatives glory. They fight to establish their own glory. They fight to avenge wrongs. They fight because they have no other healthy way to express their anger.

Really intense. I've seen a lot of dramatic "sport fight" stories with all the strugle and redemtion themes. But I've never seen something as primal and important to the participants as this.

Rurik. To me this doc answered the original question.

Yes, bare knuckle really IS that brutal. On many levels. This is not "sport". This is a marginally healthy compromise in lieu of all out war between blood relatives.

I found it to be more full of pathos than glory. Really sad actually. These people live hard lives. As hard as poor people anywhere do. I'd say they have more in comon with Kimbo Slice than the Marquis of Queensberry. (I.E., back yard boxers risking their health for rep and a betting pool)

Posted On:
    11/02/2012 9:15pm

Style: Humbleness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Excellent in depth analysis Mr Machete!

The best would be that this families didn't have any rivalry, or that they wouldn't take it so seriously but atleast is better than if they sorted it out with guns

This at 1:25:25 says everything about the future of Bareknucle irish boxing

On the up note the best fighter of the Quinn's going to the wedding has to account for something I'm only worried that some **** fag starts more trouble and things worsen

**** fag if you start **** with Quinn's at the wedding I'M SENDING FOR YOU YER DIRT YOU **** FAGGOTTEER
    Last edited by RurikGreenwulf; 11/02/2012 9:18pm at .

Posted On:
    11/03/2012 3:54am

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mr M

Although your analysis is fair and very poetic, one of the major motivating factors that keeps this kind of spectacle alive is MONEY. Huge wagers are bet on the out comes, farms are won and lost.

Unfotunately these blood fueds do escalate to slash hooks
    Name:  Vintage-hedgehog-brand-hedgelaying-slash-hook-image-No.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  15.7 KB

And fire arms, though in fairness it is rare that non-travellers are involved in these battles, other than having thier towns and villages over run with crazed polearm swinging mad men

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2012 4:53am

Style: Sticks & Jits & Fritz

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's one of those must watch documentaries if your interested in more than just the fights. Some people complain there's not enough fighting (in reviews I've read) but it's about more than that.

I think the affordability of video cameras really changed the dynamics of these family feuds spiralling out of control.

Posted On:
    11/03/2012 6:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is an entertaining and informative dramadoc on the womens noholds barred fighting of the early 19th century. Though in a different league to Knuckle

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2012 6:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    This is an entertaining and informative dramadoc on the womens noholds barred fighting of the early 19th century. Though in a different league to Knuckle

*Editited for more boobs

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2012 6:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RurikGreenwulf View Post
    ALSO? why the **** do irish have all kind of symbols as tatoo
    like kanji, chinesse writings, che guevara's faces, ying and yang, and such

Why dont they have more Irish and celtic symbols? I mean I thought I would see more traditional irish stuff as tatoo
    It's the same with a lot of cultures. Someone living in a Western Culture not their own may get tattoos that traces back their cultural herritage from another country.

Someone else who is living that culture may feel the need to express a connection to other things.

Edit: Unless your from Straylya where it's mandotary if you want to take your shirt off at a music festival, to get a southern cross tattoo while your a teenager to match the sticker on the back window of your commy.
    Last edited by wikidbounce; 11/03/2012 6:48am at .

Posted On:
    11/03/2012 9:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Huge wagers are bet on the out comes, farms are won and lost.
    That's not dramatic?

Unfotunately these blood fueds do escalate to slash hooks
    Name:  Vintage-hedgehog-brand-hedgelaying-slash-hook-image-No.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  15.7 KB

And fire arms, though in fairness it is rare that non-travellers are involved in these battles, other than having thier towns and villages over run with crazed polearm swinging mad men
    Holy %#$&! How often does this happen?

Posted On:
    11/03/2012 12:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Holy %#$&! How often does this happen?
    Small incidents are quite common, major pitched battles are an annual event

Posted On:
    11/06/2012 8:56pm

Style: Humbleness