--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Well hello there

Hey, I don't know anything really about martial arts but am planning on taking some up in University, These would be university run ones and the choices i'm thinking of are Muay Thai, Boxing, Judo and BJJ I'd like one striking and one grappling so I'm asking for people's recommendations.

Also it's nice to meet you all and I hope I can eventually be an active and productive member of this forum.

Style
    MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are so in the right track. I'd recommend muay thai over boxing, just because you'll have more fun learning a more robust number of ways to hit a dude.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome! Do you know if you can practice No Gi with the Judo or BJJ clubs? Judo and BJJ both have their places and it would be hard for me to choose between the two without knowing what all is covered in each club. Other than that, you really can't go wrong with ANY combination of those arts. Personally, I like Muay Thai for striking. If you can try each one out, do that and see what you like best. Enjoy your training sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Lift a lot of weights and sexually assault anyone who tries step to you. Flip the script. Watch that fight turn to flight when you go for penetration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raycetpfl View Post
    Just for future reference dude..... when you are doing it right you don't soil your under-roos when you nail chicks.

Style
    karate, Mexican Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi. you won't be a newbie for long.

So u should train Muay Thai. Once you are a developed striker, then do bjj. Have U seen what training bjj as your first art does to people. It makes you throw yourself on the ground and just wait there to be pummeled.

look up. Werdum vs Fedor, Werdum vs ovreem: how did he get to the ground and win you ask. well by taking an ass whooping, that's how.

Learn to take the punches first, not second. Pure BJJ guys are going to go ape ****, but they will all say on the streets you don't want to be on the "Ground". Go figure, do bjj but don't go to the ground. lol

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shotodefense View Post
    Hi. you won't be a newbie for long.

So u should train Muay Thai. Once you are a developed striker, then do bjj. Have U seen what training bjj as your first art does to people. It makes you throw yourself on the ground and just wait there to be pummeled.

look up. Werdum vs Fedor, Werdum vs ovreem: how did he get to the ground and win you ask. well by taking an ass whooping, that's how.

Learn to take the punches first, not second. Pure BJJ guys are going to go ape ****, but they will all say on the streets you don't want to be on the "Ground". Go figure, do bjj but don't go to the ground. lol
    You mean Werdum the Judo blackbelt and, actually according to the always reliable Wikipedia, a "muay thai blackbelt" as well? A judo BB knows how to get a fight to the ground besides "just throwing himself there". You've generalized a whole art based off of two less than optimal fights from one fighter, and for that, you fail my friend.

To the OP: Many people recommend Judo before starting BJJ. I didn't personally go this route, but I can definitely see the advantage. Many BJJ schools will be lacking in the amount of focus they put on teaching takedowns: you could end up learning to be a master on the ground, but having little idea of how to get there. Judo will take care of this, while getting you comfortable with grappling should you ever decide to mix in BJJ later on.
    Anyways, I recommend boxing with Judo for a solid, cheap combo. Muay Thai and BJJ will often conveniently be covered in the same school though. Basically, you can't go wrong.

Style
    karate, Mexican Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    like water u missed the point entirely of reviewing those fights. MR. OP, like I said before learn your stand up first.

1. Stand Up (Boxing)
    2. Clench (Muay Thai) Have you seen what elbows do to faces.
    3. Takedown (Judo/ Bjj) Same deal
    4. Ground Game (BJJ) DUH!!

like I mentioned before, everyone on this forum will recommend, boxing or Muay Thai first. I wonder why that is. Hmmmm.

Style
    Kyokushin
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    like water u missed the point entirely of reviewing those fights. MR. OP, like I said before learn your stand up first.

1. Stand Up (Boxing)
    2. Clench (Muay Thai) Have you seen what elbows do to faces.
    3. Takedown (Judo/ Bjj) Same deal
    4. Ground Game (BJJ) DUH!!
    *Clinch

like I mentioned before, everyone on this forum will recommend, boxing or Muay Thai first. I wonder why that is. Hmmmm.
    1. I don't see where you mentioned that everyone on this forum will recommend boxing or Muay Thai first. I do see where you recommend it.
    2. I also don't believe that everyone on this forum would recommend that striking should come first.

OP: Of the 4 arts you listed I'd be pretty torn. I have experience with MT and Judo, and both are very enjoyable. Honestly, you can really go wrong with any combination, however, if you're new to training, it might be best just to pick one to train in for a semester, adding another in the future.

Given my druthers, I'd train in MT and BJJ. If I was only training one, I'd choose MT only because I currently prefer striking arts.

Whatever you choose, have fun and train hard.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks to all who have posted in here giving me advice. I'm going to attend at least one session of each and progress with the ones I enjoy the most. I don't really know much about any of the teachers apart from the MT is taught by two people one is Master Lec and another is Steve Papp but that's about all I know so i'll really be judging off personal preference but thank you again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Watch out for Swamp Eskimos.