Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/02/2012 3:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sugarrays Vancouver boxing

Sugarrays on Granville, buyer beware, the owner is rude, aggressive , and may have boxers dementia. The sales pitch is friendly service, most member avoid the owner and won't come in if he is there. The staff trainers are good but they all leave after a few weeks or months. The owner will not train anybody. He may know a lot but so what if he never teaches it. Otherwise, the standard boxing techniques are not allowed for beginner, this leaves lots of confusion as many people already have some training. it seems the Sugarrays methods are weird and outdated, not the stuff Freddie roach or Russ anber use as basic boxing technique or almost all other boxing gyms. The owner insults members and staff in front of all making a very unfriendly space to train, trainers have to hid standard training methods, members are getting frustrated, it is too sad, as it could be a good gym if under better management. Former members sincere comments. If you really want to learn proper boxing , pay a bit more, and go to well know trainers like north burnaby boxing, griffins, or dynamics or queens bough, or tony pep in new west. East side boxing also should be up and running soon and will likely put Sugarrays out of business or take a lot of members.

Posted On:
    8/03/2012 4:48pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TapouT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Red29dx View Post
    Sugarrays on Granville, buyer beware, the owner is rude, aggressive , and may have boxers dementia. The sales pitch is friendly service, most member avoid the owner and won't come in if he is there. The staff trainers are good but they all leave after a few weeks or months. The owner will not train anybody. He may know a lot but so what if he never teaches it. Otherwise, the standard boxing techniques are not allowed for beginner, this leaves lots of confusion as many people already have some training. it seems the Sugarrays methods are weird and outdated, not the stuff Freddie roach or Russ anber use as basic boxing technique or almost all other boxing gyms. The owner insults members and staff in front of all making a very unfriendly space to train, trainers have to hid standard training methods, members are getting frustrated, it is too sad, as it could be a good gym if under better management. Former members sincere comments. If you really want to learn proper boxing , pay a bit more, and go to well know trainers like north burnaby boxing, griffins, or dynamics or queens bough, or tony pep in new west. East side boxing also should be up and running soon and will likely put Sugarrays out of business or take a lot of members.
    (The Owner Bob)told me I have the worst footwork in the world.. I just nodded my head.. then he proceeded to say I throw faggle jabs, Then he said I have no balance, again I just nodded my head. Then he said when he was 13 140lbs he could knock me out at that age, yet again I nodded my head. Finally he called me an asshole.:DudeComeOn:
    Last edited by Buce Wee; 8/03/2012 4:54pm at .

Posted On:
    8/19/2012 3:31pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    haha! This is a great thread!

I used to work at Sugarrays and your posts bring back so many memories!

Firstly, for the price and if you take it as it is it can be a great place to go. Pick your times, don't expect too much, hit the bags, lift weights, a bit of pads and chill in the sauna. Its also a great place to make friends and has some rad members.

On the otherhand, Bob is a terrible person and rotten to the core. Nice when he's selling the gym, once your money has changed hands its over unless you're a pretty girl or an actor.

The trainers hands are tied, we have to teach certain techniques (Which for the record are made up nonsense and dangerous). Wages and hours are cut regularly and trainers are hired and fired at will. Never, ever believe a word that comes out of his mouth whether its about his fighting career, boxing skills or false promises. Its all lies. The gym has had some great staff and all get treated the same.

To add to this he is also the worst coach I have ever worked with and knows nothing about, boxing, man management, how people work or learn.

Some great, great people attend Sugarrays and it'l be a shame if it does close but Vancouver will be a better place without it and we have so many other places to train.

Posted On:
    8/25/2012 12:37am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bob has no idea of what he is talking about. Unfortunately, none people being taught that way have any power and are in for a rude awakening if they ever get into a fight. If what he taught was correct (being squared up) then Sugar Ray Robinson/Ray Leonard/Floyd Mayweather would be the worst fighters ever as opposed to some of the best. To know he is lying, you just have to watch his club video on YouTube where he describes his boxing career. Bob...you don't get selected to fight on the National Amateur Team....you fight to be on it. Plus, how does someone who has amateur experience say he teaches "pro" boxing????

Posted On:
    8/25/2012 12:46am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never mind Bob. Just ask one of the experienced guys to help you out. You'll know who they are when you see them....You'll learn more and won't pick up bad habits

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 8:19pm

Style: Boxing, Judo, Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Lazy Troll is still Lazy

Okay, where to begin with this?

Amazing.

Four noobs, none with more than 4 posts who seem only to talk about sugarray's in Vancouver. In fact, the one guy with four posts, the OP, just posted this same complaint in three threads, and then started a thread here with the same drivel.

What can I assume about this? Hmm, I would guess looking at the IP address of the four posters may provide some interesting data.

In other words, I think all four of you are the same damn person. I get it, you don't like the place. So write a serious review, and skip the lazy attempt at theatrics.

:OpenMouth:

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 9:17pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TapouT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually I am not them and they are not me so in mathematical terms we are all different people.
    So if we are all different people with all of the same opinions on bob, therefore you lose and we win. he is an arrogant mow fucka. I felt like side kicking him in the knee disabling him for life. I bet they don't teach you that in boxing.. and honestly the way he squares you up. makes you a perfect target to get sweep'd off your fucking ass with a kick and or taken down.

hes a bloody rubbish joke of a wanker.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 11:04pm

Style: Boxing, Judo, Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Lazy is still the new Lazy

Quote Originally Posted by Buce Wee View Post
    Actually I am not them and they are not me so in mathematical terms we are all different people.
    So if we are all different people with all of the same opinions on bob, therefore you lose and we win.
    Lets assume for a minute you might actually be serious. It is possible that this is not an elaborate ploy, I admit, just it feels rather unlikely. All four of you joined in time to only post on this topic. And you all managed to use the search function. See, it is just coincidence piling on top of coincidence.

So anyways, assuming you are different people, you still didn't play the game right as there are rules on how to build a proper review. How do reviews?

he is an arrogant mow fucka. I felt like side kicking him in the knee disabling him for life. I bet they don't teach you that in boxing.. and honestly the way he squares you up. makes you a perfect target to get sweep'd off your fucking ass with a kick and or taken down.
    Swept with a kick? Or swept with a foot sweep? And lots of wrestlers work from a square stance. I did for four years.

And no, they didn't teach me to side kick to the knee in boxing. I did learn that in Kenpo though. I went to boxing to learn things that work. (I've been side kicked to the front and side of my knee and it never seemed to explode like my Kenpo instructors told me it would - wierd).

So enough off topic. You really want to win at this, read the sticky and write a proper review.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2012 1:28am

Style: muay thai, kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guest I have to respond here. I train at sugarays been there about a year. I have been doing martial arts about 23 years, karate, JKD, muay thai, arnis, wing chun and about 5 years of boxing at three different schools across Canada.

Now they do go thru a lot of coaches there, I don't like it but there a two who have been there since I joined. The owner Bob is a loud, rude, jerk and I love that, He is a boxing coach not your Mom, every gym I have trained at the head coaches/owners where loud, in your face, rude but also nice at times. About 70% of boxing is training on your own, doing bag work , shadow boxing, going over in the mirror a thousand times what the coach showed you. No one is going to hold your hand at a boxing club and walk ya through it.

There are boxers at sugarrays who are pro and amateur, so some one must be doing some thing right. It is also the only affordable club in town, when did boxing become a $150 a month membership sport. Hell when I first started , only 8 yrs ago it was 150$ a year. Are there better schoolis in Vancouver, maybe but what working guy, teenager or student could afford them.

Posted On:
    10/22/2012 4:23pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bob is nutty, I'm pretty sure he's got a few marbles loose. The guy doesn't have the slightest idea about how to manage his staff. Just recently he lost it and fired one of the best trainers there and got a new guy. Luckily the old guy is back now but hilariously Bob won't let the new guy teach anyone because Bob doesn't like his boxing style. So he's basically just standing around at the front most of the time because he's not even allowed to hold mitts or show someone how to jab...

That said, I still like training at Sugarray's. 24/7 open time is awesome, it's a sweet facility and there's some really great members and staff. Plus it's basically the only gym I can afford. Luckily I haven't had any run-ins with Bob myself, but I haven't heard anything good about him from anyone who's been here long.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast