Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Statistics Regarding the Effectiveness of Standard Self Defense Course

Hello. I'm new to the site in general - I love the concept - and was thinking that you all may be able to help me out with an article I'm writing regarding self defense courses. Specifically on their effectiveness. I can't find any real statistics or even stories regarding it so I'm asking for help from all of you.

Thank you in advance for any help.

P.S. If this is the wrong forum please point me towards the correct one.

Style
    street paddleboarding
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, there's an old Black Belt Magazine project by James Lafond called the Violence Project that you may want to look up. Basically, a guy studied a bunch of fights and did a little statistical work with the data.

There's not really a "standard self defense course", and I'm pretty sure there aren't any studies about the success before and after training, because that would require the same people to find themselves in the same sort of violence both before and after training.

Style
    Mixed
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Violence Project. *takes notes* Thanks for the information.

Standard self defense was all I could think to call it. That set up that you can find a hundred of in any major city. I know they are all different to an extent at least. Almost all operate of the same flawed principles or badly applied correct principles.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is difficoult to measure the effectiveness of a self-defence course.
    You can use instruments to measure the effective force of a kick or a pounch.
    There are many interesting videos on you-tube where martial arts are analized and measured by neutral scientists on the basis of the laws of physic.

You can also get an idea of effectiveness of a sport training course, looking the results of the students in competitions.
    But how to do the same for self-defence? Unlikely sports events there are no rules and every situation is a case per se.

It is even difficoult to validate the curriculum of the instructor.
    If I'm a Judo teacher who claim to have won the gold medal of 71 kg in Moscow olimpics, and my name is not Ezio Gamba, is very easy to invalidate my claim.
    But if I'm a self-defence teacher who claim to have kicked the ass of four bikers who assaulted me in a dark alley, there are no possibility to validate or invalidate my claim.