• Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/02/2012 10:33am

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bored, and near the North Shore on 4Aug2012?

WTF is this you ask?

So I was born into a family heavily into veterans firemans musters, a competition of antique handpumped firefighting apparatuses. The first recorded muster was in Bath, ME in 1849, and the New England States Veterans Firemans League has been active since 1890. We hold musters every year, mostly in New England but occasionally in New York as well. While the sport has dwindled a lot from where it was in my childhood, we occasionally do draw big crowds.

In the NESVFL handtubs are divided in two classes, A and B, depending on on size on the pistons the machine uses. The object is to play a stream of water down a paper field, any drop of water larger than a dime is counted. Once set up, a handtub has 15 minutes to play as many streams of water as they choose to try and get the longest stream of the day.

A lot of factors play into having a good stream. Muscle power is certainly important, but it is not the ultimate factor. How well your crew member on top of the machine(called the foreman) chooses his chances, and how well your pipeman uses the wind to his advantage has usually been the telling factor. Of course how much time spent on maintenance on the handtub also plays a big part of this as well.

Our next muster is in Salem, MA Aug 4th, at the Salem Willows Waterfront. If you're in the area or just bored and within driving distance, come check the event out. Its great if you're interested in old timey things, and its a pretty good workout.

Posted On:
    8/02/2012 10:41am

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Also we are having a muster in NYC on 22September at the Firefighting Museum in Manhattan

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/08/2012 11:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thot this was about The North Shore.... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oahu-north-shore-banzai-pipeline.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	13573and it's about gas-heads? Hmm, I guess everyone needs a hobby.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez