Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    17
    Style
    Muay thai(MMA)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Al Verduzco 6th degree bb?

    This guy on his site claims to be a 6th degree black belt., but I can't finanything on him.

    "Master Verduzco began training in the martial arts in 1976 and started teaching in 1984. He has an extensive professional fighting career and holds the title of a 6th degree Black Belt.

    Listed below are some of his accomplishments:

    2002- 2nd Place-World Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Championships

    2001- 1st Place Winner Jiu-Jitsu State Championships

    1998- 2nd Place Winner Bare Knuckle Full Contact International Shidokan Tournament Heavy Weight Division

    1995- #1 International Contender for Bare Knuckle Full Contact Karate

    1994- Sabaki Spirit Winner" That's what his site says, anyone want to help me find this out? Site: www .1kick. com

  2. #2
    Cake of Doom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    surrey, UK
    Posts
    1,167
    Style
    Cardio
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Web address is 1kick.net

    Have you tried contacting Mr Verduzco asking him to elaborate on his competition record and verifying what art he holds a 6th degree black belt in?
    Train hard, fight easy.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    17
    Style
    Muay thai(MMA)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He supposedly has a black belt in bjj and has over twenty fights, though I can only find his fight with tomasz kucharzewski. He lost that fight by injury, so I still haven't seen him in a video fighting.

  4. #4
    Cake of Doom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    surrey, UK
    Posts
    1,167
    Style
    Cardio
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So perhaps send a polite email asking for his lineage. I found this place: Corrals Martial Arts, where Al Verduzco is listed in the special thanks section for a ranking in TKD.

    Best to just ask the chap.
    Train hard, fight easy.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
    Posts
    325
    Style
    Boxing, Judo, Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by forumnoob View Post
    This guy on his site claims to be a 6th degree black belt., but I can't finanything on him.

    "Master Verduzco began training in the martial arts in 1976 and started teaching in 1984. He has an extensive professional fighting career and holds the title of a 6th degree Black Belt.

    Listed below are some of his accomplishments:

    2002- 2nd Place-World Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Championships

    2001- 1st Place Winner Jiu-Jitsu State Championships

    1998- 2nd Place Winner Bare Knuckle Full Contact International Shidokan Tournament Heavy Weight Division

    1995- #1 International Contender for Bare Knuckle Full Contact Karate

    1994- Sabaki Spirit Winner" That's what his site says, anyone want to help me find this out? Site: www .1kick. com
    I'll have to be honest. Compared with the fucking paragraphs of text I've seen of supposed qualifications and supposed victories... this seems downright modest. Which makes me think its honest.

    The guy studied for 8 years before teaching. With thirty years of experience, he holds one sixth degree black belt. That would be about right.

    I would agree, contact him, ask him what art his BB is in, and for his lineage. From there it should be easy to track down.

    Now that being said... I would like to ask you a few questions:

    (1) Do you have any history with this guy? Have you taken lessons from him? Do you know him?

    (2) Are you in business competition with this guy?

    (3) Is your school currently in competition with this guy (I noticed MT as your style and that Al's school offers MT as well)?

    (4) And finally, what brought up this guy? What made you think... "hmm, I should investigate him..."

    The reason I ask, is because the last time I jumped headlong into helping someone, it turned out they were a business competitor of the guy they wanted investigated. That sucked. So if you have a reason for bias, lets get it out on the table. Same thing for why you want to investigate him.

  6. #6
    slamdunc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,535
    Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKenner View Post
    I'll have to be honest. Compared with the fucking paragraphs of text I've seen of supposed qualifications and supposed victories... this seems downright modest. Which makes me think its honest.

    The guy studied for 8 years before teaching. With thirty years of experience, he holds one sixth degree black belt. That would be about right.
    I am inclined to agree as well. All of these claims are plausible, remarkable, but it is possible.



    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

  7. #7
    It is Fake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    35,219
    Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by forumnoob View Post
    This guy on his site claims to be a 6th degree black belt., but I can't finanything on him.

    "Master Verduzco began training in the martial arts in 1976 and started teaching in 1984. He has an extensive professional fighting career and holds the title of a 6th degree Black Belt.

    Listed below are some of his accomplishments:

    2002- 2nd Place-World Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Championships

    2001- 1st Place Winner Jiu-Jitsu State Championships

    1998- 2nd Place Winner Bare Knuckle Full Contact International Shidokan Tournament Heavy Weight Division

    1995- #1 International Contender for Bare Knuckle Full Contact Karate

    1994- Sabaki Spirit Winner" That's what his site says, anyone want to help me find this out? Site: www .1kick. com
    What exactly is your point? I see nothing out of the ordinary on that website. Also, have you emailed him?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    17
    Style
    Muay thai(MMA)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The reason I asked is because I couldn't really find any information on him(I would expect to be able to find something about a sixth degree black belt). and also because he coached with a shady guy named Assou Harvard.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    17
    Style
    Muay thai(MMA)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    (1) Did some lessons with him, seeing he is the only dominant bjj school in our area.
    (2) Nope, I have under a year of training.
    (3) Nope, not at all.
    (4) Was wondering if I should train in his school, I just wanted to make sure he wasn't lying about his credentials.

  10. #10
    slamdunc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    2,535
    Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by forumnoob View Post
    The reason I asked is because I couldn't really find any information on him(I would expect to be able to find something about a sixth degree black belt).
    6th Dans are more common than you may think. Years ago, not so much, but they are plentiful today. Some are more remarkable than others, and your Google Fu may be able to find those more readily.

    Quote Originally Posted by forumnoob View Post
    Was wondering if I should train in his school, I just wanted to make sure he wasn't lying about his credentials.
    If you are in direct contact with him, ask about his lineage and follow up on it.


    Last edited by slamdunc; 8/09/2012 2:06pm at .


    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in