Thread: New Noob Intro

Style
    Muay Thai
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

New Noob Intro

Hello all,

Like many I have had a lifelong fascination with martial arts, and have played contact sports (American football; I was a center) from youth through high school. In college I was off & on with various martial arts clubs, and during one long break I briefly trained in MMA.

Now 26, I am getting serious with it and have been training in Muay Thai for the past two months at a new MMA gym in my area.The coaches are outstanding. They work us very hard and really give everyone attention and correction... real family attitude. It took me a long time to realize the difference between a bullshido shop and a gym that nurtures a fight team.

My goal is to be invited to the team within the next 6-8 months and get in on an amateur event.

I've been a lurker on Bullshido for years and know this is the legit spot for anything combat-sport. I look forward to learning from those with experience, arguing the hell out of my point of view, and sharing what I know.

Thanks in advance for puttin up with the stupid questions bound to come and for welcoming another noob!

D

Style
    Humbleness
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to bullshido!

How many classes a week are you doing and how many more are you planning to do to get in the team?

Are you doing some extra cardio or Lifting weights?

I do Kyokushin and I'm planning to compete soon I guess we have a few similarities in our training I'm planning on going to the gym 5 times a week to prepare myself for the competitions

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

Style
    Muay Thai
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Rurik,

My goal is training 4x per week at the gym (how much time this is varies... each session is around an hour, two if I stay through the beginner's class, plus any extra technique work I'm getting in). If I stay dedicated and work hard by the year's end I should have enough training under my belt that I can start sparring with the team. That decision is up to my coaches though, and totally dependent on how much sweat I'm willing to put in between now and then...

I've gotten into distance running over the past few years culminating in the 2010 Marine Corps marathon... not doing that shite again haha. But it was a triumph, and taught my body that I will basically not allow it to quit unless it fails. Running is my main source of cardio and I try to go for one or two runs a week.

Not lifting much these days since I need to cut about 10lbs body fat (at 14.6%, and I need to be 8-9%).I think eventually I will try to get some strength training in substitution for one of the long runs.

Style
    Humbleness
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OmentheDamien View Post
    Thanks Rurik,

My goal is training 4x per week at the gym (how much time this is varies... each session is around an hour, two if I stay through the beginner's class, plus any extra technique work I'm getting in). If I stay dedicated and work hard by the year's end I should have enough training under my belt that I can start sparring with the team. That decision is up to my coaches though, and totally dependent on how much sweat I'm willing to put in between now and then...

I've gotten into distance running over the past few years culminating in the 2010 Marine Corps marathon... not doing that shite again haha. But it was a triumph, and taught my body that I will basically not allow it to quit unless it fails. Running is my main source of cardio and I try to go for one or two runs a week.

Not lifting much these days since I need to cut about 10lbs body fat (at 14.6%, and I need to be 8-9%).I think eventually I will try to get some strength training in substitution for one of the long runs.
    Thats some good training
    You should talk to the instructor and make him know that you want to compete
    Maybe instead of doing the beginners class you could do a few circuits that he could prepare for you to improve technique and conditioning

Style
    Muay Thai
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RurikGreenwulf View Post
    Thats some good training
    You should talk to the instructor and make him know that you want to compete
    Maybe instead of doing the beginners class you could do a few circuits that he could prepare for you to improve technique and conditioning
    Yes, the only reason we sometimes stay through the beginner's class is that it's always held right after the all-levels class. It's good for getting some extra cardio and basic technique down until I get into the sparring classes (which are last in the evening). The coaches do a little bit of 1-on-1 technique when time allows between or after classes.

As for competition, they are aware of my intentions; it's just a matter now of putting in the time.

Style
    Humbleness
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OmentheDamien View Post
    Yes, the only reason we sometimes stay through the beginner's class is that it's always held right after the all-levels class. It's good for getting some extra cardio and basic technique down until I get into the sparring classes (which are last in the evening). The coaches do a little bit of 1-on-1 technique when time allows between or after classes.

As for competition, they are aware of my intentions; it's just a matter now of putting in the time.
    Good then! Keep it up!
    When you start sparring a few tips that are very good are here
    http://www.damientrainor.com/2012/yo...n-in-sparring/

See you around man, If you have some videos of you sparring you may want to show us later there are a few pro and amateur over here that could really help you
    Anyway I'm off to train

Style
    Muay Thai
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome info. Thanks!