Sponsored Links Spacer Image

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    7/31/2012 6:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    It would be cool to see MMA in the Olympics even if for no other reason than that Pankration is as important to Olympic history as pugilism or running around in circles. It seems weird and kind of pussified that they WOULDN'T include MMA. WTF? AmIright?

I'd like to see Vale Tudo rules myself. That's about as close to old school Pankration as you can get without taking off your speedo.
    Oiled up and nekkid or go home.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2012 6:09pm

Style: Sticks & Jits & Fritz

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    I'd like to see Vale Tudo rules myself. That's about as close to old school Pankration as you can get without taking off your speedo.
    The only way I could see a ruleset that isn't too watered down but still limits injury enough for a two week tournament format would be splitting the skills up into a multi stage elimination. Olympic MMA could be like a Triathalon with one round mixing standup and take downs and another round mixing wrestling and submissions. If you had 32 competitors the first week could be Sanda rules. The second week would be 16 competitors with submission grappling rules. The final two fights would be Full MMA rules with the top four competitors fighting for a medal.

People don't seem to have the faith in IMMAF being the organization to get MMA part of the Olympics, what about Shooto or Combat Sambo, would there be an International organization with a better Chance of becoming part of the Games.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    8/01/2012 2:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wikidbounce View Post
    The only way I could see a ruleset that isn't too watered down but still limits injury enough for a two week tournament format would be splitting the skills up into a multi stage elimination. Olympic MMA could be like a Triathalon with one round mixing standup and take downs and another round mixing wrestling and submissions. If you had 32 competitors the first week could be Sanda rules. The second week would be 16 competitors with submission grappling rules. The final two fights would be Full MMA rules with the top four competitors fighting for a medal.

People don't seem to have the faith in IMMAF being the organization to get MMA part of the Olympics, what about Shooto or Combat Sambo, would there be an International organization with a better Chance of becoming part of the Games.
    I admire your imagination, but that will never happen.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    8/01/2012 10:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have no desire to watch MMA with headgear. And there's no way in hell it would ever happen without headgear.

I agree there's a better chance with submission grappling but it's still a long shot.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2012 11:12am

Style: Boxing/Sanda/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't want MMA in the olympics. I am absolutely certain that they'd find a way to pussify it and destroy the sport. On the other hand I think that SanDa and BJJ or Submission Grappling are palatable enough that they could make it intact and I'd love to see either of those in the games. Though I'm skeptical of that as well.

Administrator

Posted On:
    8/01/2012 11:35am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Where are all the tournaments? What are the numbers? How many people do it worldwide? What is the level of competition worldwide?

Huge leap I think.
    This year the championships will be in Moscow, US trials were in Vegas, Next Year will be in New Orleans, Junior Championships are being held in Italy I believe, but I'm not going this year. Last year there were 38 countries being represented IIRC. What else would you like to know?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2012 1:45pm

Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its unfortunate that Dana White is not backing FILA MMA. The UFC must have some type of interest to ignore the obvious and back this other organization but here are the facts.

This is what is needed before a sport is even considered for the olympics

-An IOC recognized International governing body.
    -National federations in more than 40 nations representing all continents.
    -A history of a true World Championship where only one national champion athlete may represent a nation in each category.
    -A set of rules making tournament style competition practical.
    -IOC approved drug testing under WADA.

I have some issues with FILA but like it or not they meet every single requirements and its just plain ignorance to ignore it unless there is an ulterior motive.

More interesting is that since FILA sanctions Grappling, Pankration and Amateur MMA as styles of Wrestling they can add one of these sports in as easy as they added Women's Wrestling last Olympics. Not as a new sport just as an an additional discipline of Wrestling.

Yet very few gyms in the United States are on board?
    Instead of wondering about MMA ever getting in the Olympics how about supporting organizations and events that are working to make it happen! How many gyms participated World Team Trials for Grappling and who tried out for USA Pankration and Amateur MMA team?

Posted On:
    8/01/2012 3:40pm

Style: Humbleness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pankration has two huge advantages
    A greek name that belongs to the olympics

And lets face it what has given MMA its infamity as a brutal sport The punching in the face a downed opponent

It would be very interesting to have Pankration as a Olympic sport, or combat sambo or Sanda
    Combat Sambo has a Olympic vibe to it, Maybe the headgear maybe the ring

The russians could push it into the olympics someday albeit with a lot of effort
    I would prefer Combat Sambo or Pankration to be in the Olympics

Posted On:
    8/01/2012 3:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RurikGreenwulf View Post
    Pankration has two huge advantages
    A greek name that belongs to the olympics
    Honestly this is a HUGE thing.
    I can totally see Pankration being the next combat sport to make it in.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2012 4:00pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can see it now, fighters with headgear, shinpads, and heavier gloves. No elbows or knees allowed, grappling only when it goes to the ground.

Seriously though, I rather doubt MMA would make it in to the olympics.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast