Thread: Intro

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Intro

Just here to give everyone a bit of info about me before i start posting on all your ****.

I'm 19 about to turn 20 and I started training in black cat kempo as a young kid, got up to my blue belt under one of the stricter karate instructors (Art Beins black belt and was also instructed by his son who was a multiple time national sparring champion).
    After years of on an off training i kind of faded out of it; karate was probably my favorite sport but I had trouble sacrificing multiple seasonal sports to do it year round and trying to do multiple sports simultaneously. Especially with many of my friends in school also doing seasonal sports. Besides I mostly enjoyed sparring and had started to become less interested in the other aspects of the art over the years.
    Freshmen year I decided to check out an mma gym that had opened up when I was prompted to go with my brother (although he actually flaked out so I went alone) and just kind of fell in love with it instantly. Ironically my old karate school had developed a business partnership with a preexisting mma team from the area and I started training at there new gym that they were sharing with my first mma team. The younger of my previous karate instructors was also training for his first mma fight at the time. I quit school track once doing both at the same time was causing too much fatigue and too many injuries and have been training pretty consistently since then.
    I originally planned on having my first amateur fight when turning 18 but a few months before I got jumped by a pretty large group of people and experienced some pretty bad head trauma and a seizure. After waiting a few months I started training again but couldn't do any sparring or heavy grappling and became discouraged enough that I just worked and saved up money for awhile. Slowly I started training again once I left that job and have since became even more consistent then when I started. Now training in mma under my old karate instructor with some of my old mma teams instructors and some old training partners (I'd rather not talk about the gym politics of how this happened). Now I've been training consistently for a while and am looking to have my first amateur fight in october at 150 lbs ,which i frankly feel a little over prepared for.
    I joined this site originally when reading a review; wanting to do a review for my gym, but decided to delay it until I read a few more and got a better feel for the rating system (which I'll do eventually). Then I realized i liked the feel of the forums i was looking through and that I'm really fucking sick of sherdog.

Style
    Chinese Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkcobra View Post
    Just here to give everyone a bit of info about me before i start posting on all your ****.

I'm 19 about to turn 20 and I started training in black cat kempo as a young kid, got up to my blue belt under one of the stricter karate instructors (Art Beins black belt and was also instructed by his son who was a multiple time national sparring champion).
    After years of on an off training i kind of faded out of it; karate was probably my favorite sport but I had trouble sacrificing multiple seasonal sports to do it year round and trying to do multiple sports simultaneously. Especially with many of my friends in school also doing seasonal sports. Besides I mostly enjoyed sparring and had started to become less interested in the other aspects of the art over the years.
    Freshmen year I decided to check out an mma gym that had opened up when I was prompted to go with my brother (although he actually flaked out so I went alone) and just kind of fell in love with it instantly. Ironically my old karate school had developed a business partnership with a preexisting mma team from the area and I started training at there new gym that they were sharing with my first mma team. The younger of my previous karate instructors was also training for his first mma fight at the time. I quit school track once doing both at the same time was causing too much fatigue and too many injuries and have been training pretty consistently since then.
    I originally planned on having my first amateur fight when turning 18 but a few months before I got jumped by a pretty large group of people and experienced some pretty bad head trauma and a seizure. After waiting a few months I started training again but couldn't do any sparring or heavy grappling and became discouraged enough that I just worked and saved up money for awhile. Slowly I started training again once I left that job and have since became even more consistent then when I started. Now training in mma under my old karate instructor with some of my old mma teams instructors and some old training partners (I'd rather not talk about the gym politics of how this happened). Now I've been training consistently for a while and am looking to have my first amateur fight in october at 150 lbs ,which i frankly feel a little over prepared for.
    I joined this site originally when reading a review; wanting to do a review for my gym, but decided to delay it until I read a few more and got a better feel for the rating system (which I'll do eventually). Then I realized i liked the feel of the forums i was looking through and that I'm really fucking sick of sherdog.
    Well so far so good. Only a few spelling errors and only a tad bit of over confidence. We expect some video here so be ready. Now if you are fighting in Oct. Be careful not to peak too soon. At your age I would range about 6 weeks out. Good luck.....asshole. and welcome to Bullshido.

Style
    Humbleness
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At what age did you start MMA ? at 15? have you sparred under full-contact MMA rules or Muay thai ?

How many times a week do you train?
    Tell us how is a regular day at your MMA gym
    and how is adapted the Kenpo to the MMA
    Last edited by RurikGreenwulf; 7/29/2012 8:44pm at .

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started when when I was 15 and train under full contact mma rules. I train 4-5 times a week and do separate strength and conditioning training before 3 mma classes a week (although we do it at the beginning of my mma classes too). On average although this is more of a trend then a strict schedule, - - -we do a grappling class on monday with 3-4 techniques taught from a similar or opposite position(inguard/fromguard--sub/defense). We'll drill each technique for a little bit with the instructor helping and correcting people and working with some of the more advanced members if there's and odd number of people. At the end of class we do live grappling, with some sparring if anyone specifically feels like it. Class is 8:30-10/11 depending when people leave. - - -Wednesday is usually a striking class and almost always has Cardio at the beginning, often but not always striking specific. The amount of things we go over varies because it will often be a combination with foot movement but we'll add attacks and movement to the combination when drilling it or using focus mitts with partners. At the end of this class we always do round robin sparring rounds, sometimes just boxing and sometimes thai boxing depending what we went over that day and who's there. No headgear but usually around 60-80% power depending on who you're partnered with each round, shin guards for amateurs to get used to it. After the round robin those interested can still spar as long as they want to. 8:30-10/11 depending when people leave. - - -Friday is 7:30-10/11 with a heavy workout and mma specific techniques. This can be working off of the cage, ground and pound, or anything else. Usually the busiest class and a few pro fighters from other gyms almost always come on this day. -saturday is 12 pm-2ish with a light workout and whatever people feel like working on that day. - - -monday-friday except for thursday there's a strength and conditioning class from 7:30-8:30. - - My main instructor doesn't teach kenpo techniques during mma but a few people from mma do take his karate classes. All stand up or grappling we learn is mma specific and usually when my instructors doing standup he'll do so from a traditional boxing stance. When he's going with a higher level pro and gets frustrated he'll switch to his southpaw karate stance and start firing off headkicks. He teaches tuesday and wednesday but his grappling instructor usually teaches friday (not always teaching grappling then though) and once in a while one of the pros affiliated with my gym will teach a class. My gyms grappling is closer to catch wrestling then jitsu and our standup is closest to boxing with strong kicks, Our weakest point as a gym along with mine personally is definitely wrestling (I wrestled for two years but didn't really understand the movements until I started mma) but lately we've had some college wrestlers training with us and we've always had some pros teach wrestling classes occasionally so it's slowly improving.
    Last edited by jkcobra; 7/30/2012 2:52pm at .

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the welcomes, sorry my posts are hard to read. My spacing keeps getting deleted for some reason