Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/31/2012 4:21pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ok, gotcha. Having not seen it myself I had not real point of reference for what his feet were doing. You had me imagining him all pigeon toed and deftly enveloping his opponent ala Ip Man.
    Oh, it was deft, and that was also likely because his opponent was throwing lopping bombs and giving him a lot of room to work with. His takedowns were picture perfec.t

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/31/2012 6:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    There were some pretty good ones this year. Better than last year's.
    good to hear. i know that the syracuse branch of my old association sent some people this time and they can usually bang. hopefully the general level is improving. also glad that you spent time watching the fights and not merely getting the phone number of every cute woman in the room.

for those not in on the inside joke, i will tell you what happened the last time i saw bodhi108 at that tournament:

i had a lightweight woman fighter in the event and was getting her warmed up. bodhi108 offered his assistance, and suggested that he might be able to scout out her opponents and give us some useful info, which sounded like a great idea.

off he want to gather intel, and when we found him again, he had gathered a lot of info: names, phone numbers, hobbies, if they were single, etc, but oddly none of it seemed appropriate for helping my fighter beat them. he seemed to find the info useful, so maybe it's a professional buddhist thing. <shrug>

my fighter? she lost that day, despite fighting hard, and went on to better coaching (phil nurse) and some success in muay thai.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2012 6:35pm

Style: Youtube-do

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was looking through the videos from the link Rivington posted and saw this.

I know it's not the guy Bodhi is describing but Damn this guy owned the fight via takedowns.

Posted On:
    8/01/2012 7:09am

supporting memberstaff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    good to hear. i know that the syracuse branch of my old association sent some people this time and they can usually bang. hopefully the general level is improving. also glad that you spent time watching the fights and not merely getting the phone number of every cute woman in the room.
    Ms. Auslander would cut my testicles off & make ceviche out of them if that had happened. She's planning on fighting next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    for those not in on the inside joke, i will tell you what happened the last time i saw bodhi108 at that tournament:

i had a lightweight woman fighter in the event and was getting her warmed up. bodhi108 offered his assistance, and suggested that he might be able to scout out her opponents and give us some useful info, which sounded like a great idea.

off he want to gather intel, and when we found him again, he had gathered a lot of info: names, phone numbers, hobbies, if they were single, etc, but oddly none of it seemed appropriate for helping my fighter beat them. he seemed to find the info useful, so maybe it's a professional buddhist thing. <shrug>

my fighter? she lost that day, despite fighting hard, and went on to better coaching (phil nurse) and some success in muay thai.
    Ah, the good old days....

Posted On:
    8/01/2012 7:17am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Beak View Post
    I was looking through the videos from the link Rivington posted and saw this.

I know it's not the guy Bodhi is describing but Damn this guy owned the fight via takedowns.
    Yeah, that dude was a beast.

Posted On:
    8/01/2012 10:27am

supporting memberstaff

Hell yeah! Hell no!

This is the second round of Davis' fight, in retrospect, and also seeing things from the other side of the leitai (I'm the bald guy sitting next to the gorgeous Latina in the front row on the other side if you look close enough)...Davis performance, while good, does not seem as stellar as it did. The takedowns are not as clean as I thought. This could be attributed to a couple things.

One, I was on the other side. I saw most of the fight looking over blue's shoulder, so a lot of the fight, all I saw was Davis dropping Blue.

Secondly, this is the second round. As you can see, and hear from the commentary, Davis is winded. Any one who's competed under any combat sport ruleset knows what that feels like late in the fight and how good technique goes out the window no matter how much we may not want it to. Davis has consistently taken down his opponent over and over and over again, and despite being winded, continues to do so and win the match.

It may be that footage from the first round shows Davis in a much more stellar light, up to my recollection of the fight.

Either way, much respect for him for putting his training on the stage for a good showing for his first fight out. He had no actual corner coach, no sifu there with him, just two friends.

Posted On:
    8/01/2012 2:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, what do you think now? La chun, or high school wrestler?

Posted On:
    8/01/2012 3:34pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think actual Chunner.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2012 10:16am

Style: Wing Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my inexperienced opinion (only trained "Wing Tsun" for 2 years), I'd say his takedown timing was so nice at times he may have cross-trained. I've not trained those takedowns in my time as yet anyway.

Posted On:
    8/03/2012 10:19am

supporting memberstaff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's spelled Wing Cheun.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast