Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/31/2012 1:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    You'll also note, I allowed for the possibility that the fighter was a ringer merely posing as a Chunner.
    How tallented would somebody have to be to pull that off though? Master one style, then parctice it in immitation of another style and somehow still be so badass as to win while convincingly aping the Chun? That's crazy.

I'd really like to see this guy in action. I got to admit, getting up to speed on this site is sort of like finding out that Santa Claus isn't real. To see a pratical demonstration of a traditionally well respected style thats been much maligned and missrepresented these days would be something trully special.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/31/2012 1:57pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I wonder how this thread would be different were the OP a n00b.
    Exactly the same. Do you need proof? I can show you threads.

Edit:
    What Riv and Bohdi said.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonist View Post
    So, Wing Chun is okay now?
    This how I know people do not keep up. We have many threads on the full contact and European chun derivatives in the CMA forum. What has been asked from day one? If you are going to talk **** about your chun, tai chi, or any style of kung fu then you need to compete. This is what happened and this has ALWAYS been okay.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 7/31/2012 2:02pm at .

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/31/2012 3:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    How tallented would somebody have to be to pull that off though? Master one style, then parctice it in immitation of another style and somehow still be so badass as to win while convincingly aping the Chun? That's crazy.
    not really. take a decent HS wrestler who had more than a few street fights (can take a punch without freaking out) and then have him train at a chun school with sparring. it wouldn't surprise me at all if such a person would clean up on the lei tai with their wrestling, and it wouldn't be a deliberate deception either. under stress we fall back on our most trained response.

despite being the best place for a traditional kung fu school to test their stuff, there are a bunch of poor fighters competing on the lei tai, and the level of wrestling is usually not great. the ones who can wrestle always do very well (don't underestimate how much it takes out of an opponent when you dump them on that platform, it's thin carpet covering plywood - not a soft landing.)
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    7/31/2012 3:26pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    (don't underestimate how much it takes out of an opponent when you dump them on that platform, it's thin carpet covering plywood - not a soft landing.)
    Thanks for the insight!

Having been dumped a few times on various surfaces myself I don't doubt at all that being dropped on the plywood would be "unpleasant".

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/31/2012 3:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the insight!

Having been dumped a few times on various surfaces myself I don't doubt at all that being dropped on the plywood would be "unpleasant".
    don't get me wrong, there are some good fighters there, but there are also a surprising number who did not prepare well, and aren't ready to handle being thrown hard or hit hard.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/31/2012 3:42pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read the description again.

He assumed a stereotypically traditional Chun stance...and then proceeded to use FOOTWORK to avoid punches and defeated his opponent entirely with throws and takedowns.

No straight blasts.

No pak sao.

No bong sao.

No trapping.

All take downs.

Now, having seen "good" Chun before, and understanding the principle that as we move toward the functionality singularity, all arts begin to look the same, I will allow for the fact that his training may be Wing Chun boxing. Jeff Davis' bio would seem to state that.

But I could probably take a Greco guy, familiarize him with leitai rules, show him a Chun pose, and get a similar performance. He would never even have to learn Chun.

And for the idiots, I am not saying that is a bad thing, or to take anything away from Jeff Davis. There's _ing _un...and then there the Chinese boxing style of Wing Chun.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/31/2012 3:43pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    despite being the best place for a traditional kung fu school to test their stuff, there are a bunch of poor fighters competing on the lei tai, and the level of wrestling is usually not great.
    There were some pretty good ones this year. Better than last year's.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/31/2012 3:47pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I figured the title alone would alert people to what you were saying. I guess not. The way I took it was a guy used the real chun, which involves many other things besides the "real chun."

You know like good to great Muay Thai has boxing footwork. Etc etc etc...

Posted On:
    7/31/2012 3:59pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, we need you stabbing ninjas with a spear. For the honor of the Bujinkan.
    I'm not saying, "no." But I do have two words for you:

HUMAN WEAPON

Got a link to the rules, or maybe some videos of the spear fighting?

Posted On:
    7/31/2012 4:07pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He assumed a stereotypically traditional Chun stance...and then proceeded to use FOOTWORK to avoid punches and defeated his opponent entirely with throws and takedowns.
    Ok, gotcha. Having not seen it myself I had not real point of reference for what his feet were doing. You had me imagining him all pigeon toed and deftly enveloping his opponent ala Ip Man.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast