--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"World of Hung Kuen" Documentary feat: Lam Chun Fai

From the Lam family folks at http://www.hungboxen-hannover.de/, an excellent and short, digestable, no-nonsense documentary on the Hung Fist.

A short bit before the video on Hung ga forms vs. the martial art itself (two completely separate but intertwined things imho).

+++

Like many other traditional arts many people associate Hung Kuen with forms. What they often don't understand is that the forms are only the pillars of Hung ga, not the whole framework...by a very wide margin.

This is not just one system but a collection of systems compromising several centuries of armed and unarmed combat. There is something for almost everyone in Hung Kuen.

I could teach you every punch or kick in the system without teaching you a single damn form, and I'd guarantee (if you have a clue about martial arts) you'd agree the techniques are simple and sound.

Although it contains a lot of form work, it's important to remember what Jet Li once said in a movie I can't remember the name of...something that made a lot of sense..."learn the form, but seek the formless. Learn the way, but find your own way". My sifu once described it thus: "you don't become Hung ga, Hung ga becomes you".

Hung ga is all about learning the form as a way of learning yourself, and not just a series of interconnected movements or punches and kicks thrown into the air. Though many people will become overly focused on learning the forms and thinking that is Hung Kuen and could spend their whole lives digging a hole into the material, a lucky percentage will always break through that wall to find the real Hung Kuen: their own natural offensive and defensive abilities, and whatever inner strength they are capable of.

Hung ga didn't teach me that it was the greatest system ever. What it did teach me that I (we) have it within me (us) to train any system, meet any opponent, or overcome any obstacle by overcoming limitations of endurance.

In training the system I didn't get suckered into "traditionalism", but saw how a traditional art can give you the proper perspective on two of the most important elements required for effective martial artistry: physical and mental fortitude. With these two things, a person will have the the tools necessary to train any system, meet any challenger with their best effort, and endure hardships that might send others running.

++

On the video:

The video expresses this concept without a lot of bullshit... the hallmarks of good Hung Kuen training should always be obvious...pure physicality combined with gracefulness. Movements with aggressive intent complemented with the kind of careful awareness critical to martial arts. And whatever or however you feel about forms, all the forms of Hung Kuen are designed to do is unlock your natural (human) abilities, while developing power and agility of a human, as opposed to any of the Five Animals of Hung Ga themselves.

Now whether you take that power and agility and fight with it, or simply use it to develop your "external/internal", few systems of the past have the kind of worldwide following Hung Kuen does.

Grandmaster Lam, who has just published his second full text on Hung Kuen, is 75 and still maintains a grace of movement and strength long associated with the practice of this art.

There are some hidden gems in this video in particular some new decent presentations of the ancient "War Palm" of old village style Hung ga, also one of the subjects of his new book (Amazon link below).

http://www.amazon.com/Hung-Kuen-Fund.../dp/9881847524

http://www.amazon.com/Hung-Kuen-Trai...3002006&sr=1-1
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 2/03/2015 6:15pm at .

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "old square mind" would be very unhappy about the changes made to WFH's teachings by lam sai wing and his students.

for shame WR, promoting the other lineage, for shame.

:P
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    "old square mind" would be very unhappy about the changes made to WFH's teachings by lam sai wing and his students.

for shame WR, promoting the other lineage, for shame.

:P
    He would be extremely pleased that we know what was changed.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is from the continuation of Kung Fu Quest, Xiu Xing isnt it?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good video. Although it's not my lineage I identify a lot with the concept and ideas. I think kung fu is slowly but surely making me a better person. I believe that forms are taught as a way of memorising the techniques and that there will be something for everyone in the form. Pick what works for you but it's good to be aware of other techniques - you never know when you might just use them.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nihao View Post
    This is from the continuation of Kung Fu Quest, Xiu Xing isnt it?
    Not sure, it was put online by Frank Bolte and Hung Kuen Hannover, Germany.

Pretty cool Tiger Crane 2-man set, for drilling and conditioning.

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 2/08/2015 10:38pm at .