Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/30/2012 12:57pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!

I Have Seen TEH R34L _ing _un...and it was beautiful....

I attended the National Kuoshu Championship in Baltimore this weekend, home of all that is good and right in Chinese boxing in America, to watch the leitai preliminaries.

Now, let me say this, I have seen "good" Wing Chun on the leitai before. It usually involves massive amounts of forward pressure and flurries that look nothing like what we see from other Chunners. Trapping, if it exists, is only a momentary clearing of a guard, instead of movie-fu. The footwork and stance almost never has jack to do with dihydral plans or any pseudo-physics bullshit.

This weekend, I watched a Chunner evade every single punch thrown at him, and win without ever throwing a solid punch of his own.

The young man's name was Davis, from a school called "Peaceful Mind Wing Chun". Google-fu has failed me in locating more, and unfortunately, I did not video tape the fight. I am hoping highlight videos will show some of the fight, because it really was spectacular.

When they called the fighters up, Davis was set to go against So & So from Blah-Blah's School of Shaolin, which seems to be populated by white bikers, given their propensity for tattoos & sleeveless T-shirts. Regardless of their ethnicity or fashion taste, all of their previous fighters that day had cleaned up fairly well in their preliminaries, so when Davis assumed a tradition Wing Chun guard, I was fairly certain we were going to see a Chunner get curb-stomped.

What we ended up seeing was a beautiful shuai jiao demonstration. Davis used footwork to stay consistently just out of range of his opponent's flurries, and proceeded to sweep, toss, throw, and take him down with impunity. The scoring deficit after the first round alone most have been staggering. I lost count. I don't recall his opponent ever scoring a decisive blow against him, and the only punch Davis himself through was a non-commital jab to make space before a takedown at one point.

Now, maybe Davis has a wrestling background. Maybe he was a judoka or a Greco guy trolling the tournament. This might account for not being able to find anything on his school.

Regardless, the fight was beautiful.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/30/2012 1:28pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pretty cool! Hopefully the video will eventually pop up somewhere.

I see a Peaceful Mind Kung Fu facebook page but can't look at it because I'm at work.
    Last edited by Diesel_tke; 7/30/2012 1:31pm at . Reason: facebook fail.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2012 1:32pm

Style: Boxing/Iron Palm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds pretty awesome. Did you get to compete at all, or were you purely spectating this time around?

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    7/30/2012 3:01pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jeff Davis, Accokeek, Maryland.

Hey everyone! Peaceful Mind Wing Chun is my attempt to spread the knowledge of a great martial arts style to a wider audience. ive been studying Wing Chun (Yip Man, Moy Yat lineage) for over 10 years and got tired of martial arts schools charging rediculess fees for lessons and belts ect so i decided to make my own group and teach people the traditional way. theres no belts to pay for time requirm...ents in any level before progression other than experience. Im not a certified Sifu and im working on that but my skills, experience, and knowledge will speak for its self. As im not a certified instructor i dont charge for lessons.

I have all the equipment and space to teach a small class and as i said before its all free, but donations are always welcome to help buy more, new and better equipment for training. if anyone is interested in learning and you are in the area or just have questions about Wing Chun feel free to message me ( Jeff Davis) here on our new page! :)
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 7/30/2012 3:04pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/30/2012 3:08pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, we know about his facebook, no address, place holder page. It is new and doesn't send you anywhere, but to his phone number.

Posted On:
    7/30/2012 3:34pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Accokeek...not a far drive, and worth it to see this guy in action.

Posted On:
    7/30/2012 3:35pm

supporting memberstaff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    Sounds pretty awesome. Did you get to compete at all, or were you purely spectating this time around?
    No, did not compete, but have three guys & one girl looking to get into it. I'm thinking of entering the weapon comps next year, as are two of my other guys.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/30/2012 3:44pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bodhi with his 3 guys:

Posted On:
    7/30/2012 4:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A spectator caught many of the fights on video:

http://imacombat.forumotion.com/t86-...e-maryland#309

Haven't had the time to go through them myself yet, and it seems as though the blogger has more video to upload himself, but perhaps the Davis bouts are up, or will be up soon.

Posted On:
    7/30/2012 4:28pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    A spectator caught many of the fights on video:

http://imacombat.forumotion.com/t86-...e-maryland#309

Haven't had the time to go through them myself yet, and it seems as though the blogger has more video to upload himself, but perhaps the Davis bouts are up, or will be up soon.
    I'll go through it this evening after practice. I'm going to contact Davis as well.

Interesting, given other discussions we've had:

I don't recall seeing Davis compete in the Chisao competitions.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast