Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2012 2:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    nothing to fiddle with, just point and shoot.
    pathology in my point, I'm sure - but I just HAVE to have a mechanical safety.

Posted On:
    7/30/2012 2:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As much as I hate their feel, trigger and lack of "safety" in the traditional sense, you can't beat a Glock for reliability in a semi auto pistol. Those things are downright stubborn in their ability to function as advertized.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    7/30/2012 2:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerdavy View Post
    It's looking like the 19 is a solid option (15 shots is bananas), but I'm curious if anyone else can expound on the differences between that and the 26.
    The Glock 19 feels so much better in your hand. The grip on the 26 is small. With a regular magazine, your pinky finger will be below the grip, so you're gripping with your thumb, middle and ring fingers. It's better with an extended magazine because you can get your third finger on it. Still, it's nowhere as easy to grip as a Glock 19. You can manage it though.

It is way smaller though which makes it more comfortable to carry and easier to conceal. On the other hand, it's still thick despite being smaller overall. Don't forget about the Glock 27. Barely larger than the 26 but it's a .40.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    7/30/2012 2:53pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    pathology in my point, I'm sure - but I just HAVE to have a mechanical safety.
    Many people feel this way (including some of my former firearms instructors), and it is just a mindset. I train under Murphy's Law; under the stress of combat, the most highly trained shooter will have difficulty with fine motor skills. Even the most inept thug will be able to figure out the safety on my gun, once he steals it from my triple-retention holster. I will have to use my weapon retention skills in lieu of a mechanical safety. This is my way, not the way.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2012 3:48pm

Style: Western Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use a belly band off centered and carry my TarusPF738 in .380 or drop it in a pocket holster. before everybody jumps all over the .380.Any caliber bullet in the forehead(brain) tends to dispurts their thinking and motor skills. Besides, making a mess of their health records or permanently closing it. Oh,forgot to mention my mousegun is laszer equiped. Behind the back carry when sitting for prolong periods. In the winter, I switch to one of my compact 1911s. Too heavy of a pistol and you tend to pick and choose when to carry it. Joe

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2012 4:02pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it is just a mindset.
    I know, and a lot of it is how it was drilled into my head with the 92fs 'DISengage safety, SIGHT along aimpoint, SQUEEZE the trigger...' etc. Blah, if I could get over that BS I'm sure I may enjoy the glock more..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2012 2:03am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerdavy View Post
    Awesome feedback.

I'm a pretty medium male (170 lbs, 5' 10"), so I don't think I'll go the full profile 1911. One thing I have going for me is that I wear a hoodie almost constantly from October to May, so concealing won't be much of an issue.

It's looking like the 19 is a solid option (15 shots is bananas), but I'm curious if anyone else can expound on the differences between that and the 26.
    I tried a lot of semis before buying a Springfield XD9. Looks like a Glock 19, feels considerably better to me. The handle is angled less, for one thing, and if you care, the XD line pistols all have backstrap safeties like 1911s. Trigger is great too-pull back to the pressure wall, stop, then any more pull fires. Purely personal preference, but if you can I think you should shoot one before deciding what to buy.

I can't comment about the concealability since I don't carry concealed, but I can't imagine it would be any more difficult than a Glock 19.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    8/01/2012 6:22am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by watchman View Post
    I tried a lot of semis before buying a Springfield XD9.
    The XD-9 is another solid choice; it has everything Glock should have added to make people feel a tad safer. Glock has a lot more availability of parts (stock and aftermarket) and accessories, other than that, the XD is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    I know, and a lot of it is how it was drilled into my head with the 92fs 'DISengage safety, SIGHT along aimpoint, SQUEEZE the trigger...' etc. Blah, if I could get over that BS I'm sure I may enjoy the glock more..
    Obviously, I went to that same school LOL.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2012 10:36am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The XD-9 is another solid choice; it has everything Glock should have added to make people feel a tad safer. Glock has a lot more availability of parts (stock and aftermarket) and accessories, other than that, the XD is awesome.
    One caveat, which I probably should've mentioned: Yeah, accessories are easier for the Glock. .22LR conversion kit? No brainer for the Glock, but we still don't have one for the XD. My only complaint.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    8/01/2012 11:45am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can't carry a 5-shot snub-nosed revolver discreetly, you are doing it wrong. I stick a 2" .357 in a belt holster and un tuck my t-shirt. Weapon disappears. Off to the bake sale!

Among quality weapons, the reliability advantage of the revolver is academic. If the automatic works 99.1% of the time, and the revolver works 99.99%, what have you really gained? That being said, I carry a snubby much of the time. Simply because I can have a very powerful round (.357 mag or .44 bulldog) with a small delivery system, and enjoy very simple operation (Less likely to flub in high-stress situation). You point, you squeeze, the gun goes bang and the bad guy goes away.

Mouse guns are tough to learn to shoot and handle. They are super easy to carry/conceal, though. I rarely recommend them. Just get a snub-nosed .38 unless you HAVE to have something small enough to carry in your wallet.

Basically, yoa re gonna have to make your own call about what is important to you.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast