3/26/2007 8:35pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tai Chi as a Fighting Art

by Erle Montaigue

Found this, don't know what to make of it. What do you CMA guys think about it?

http://rapidshare.com/files/22959456...g_Art.pdf.html
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8WU0CFH9
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Keeping you safe from Mongolians

Posted On:
    3/26/2007 9:22pm

Style: Sanda/Taijiquan *Hiatus*

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To a certain extent yes. If trained with a similar intesity it would be as effective as judo in my opinion, i.e good for dropping people on there ass/head/whatever. My Tai Chi instructor has great takedowns and throws, but then he is very highly ranked and has huge list of accomplishments.

I dont really think its a best choice for someonewho wants to learn to fight, as there are much quicker and simpler ways.

But anyone who outright says no, hasnt felt teh r34l tai chi, i'm afraid.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/26/2007 9:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff
    by Erle Montaigue
    Piz, you do know who this guy is don't you? If not, "youtube" the hell out of him and have a laugh.

Posted On:
    3/26/2007 10:55pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can feel his fa king power from the pdf, anyone that has hair like that must have some CMA skill!
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2007 11:51pm

Style: Xing-Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am not a Tai Chi man.

With that said I have worked with quite a few. Of all of them I have worked with, I can think of 1 or 2 that had any martial skill at all. There is a REASON why tai chi is practiced slow, but (and only my opinion) that is not the ONLY way it is to be trained.

Xing-yi, a sister art and the one I have the most experience with, is practiced slowly as you are learning, similiar to Tai chi speed, however that is not the end point. It is a learning tool and method (to explain might be outside the scope of this thread).

If you dig around, you can find footage of Max Chen (William CC Chen's son and old school fighter in his own time) in full contact competition as well as sparring and such with a heavy, if not all, Tai Chi background.

But again, I have worked with very few Tai Chi folk that solely did Tai Chi that had martial skill.

So in answer to the OP question, is Tai Chi a fighting art? Can be; I might argue it is SUPPOSED to be. But sadly, more times then not, it isnt (or the instructor thinks he can).

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    3/27/2007 1:46am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tai Chi Chuan was designed to kill people.

Tai Chi was designed for old people not to die.

I haven't learnt enough Chen style (or any other Tai Chi style for that matter) to really make much of a decision, but it seemed to do the Chen village well enough for defensive purposes.

PS: Erle isn't to be trusted, following his Chi vs Grappling series. I mean, from what I saw it wasn't even 'Pressure Points vs Grapplers'. It was 'Accupressure vs Grapplers', which just reeks of foolish.

Keeping you safe from Mongolians

Posted On:
    3/27/2007 9:38am

Style: Sanda/Taijiquan *Hiatus*

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rapidshare is such a pain in the ass it asks me so many questions!!!!! Just gimme the damn file!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2007 3:26pm

Style: pak mei

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    years ago l did learn wu from shanghai . its different than what you see in north america. l learned it slow for a year or so then it becomes smaller circles and fast some with ging . the only one l know of that was teaching only for fighting was a chen in h.k. who entered fighters in the taiwan bare knuckle event they started up again after the war. most tai chi was marketed for old people in h.k. because thats where the market and money was. there was lots of styles for younger ones non for elderly . .. l couldnt see me wrestling someone in a street situation. l have met some teachers from taiwan that were very good but they were quite big and muscular . if you see for example wu kam cheun who put wu style together he weighed about 300 lbs. . l dont think to many in north america are taught how to train to fight and a lot seem to think that push hands is going to do it. lots of styles including mine has some type of push hands excercise but we do live free combat in training. l have never seen any tai chi in north america that was really combat oriented . l do have pictures of some chen fighters from h.k. who won in taiwan in the bare knuckle event . l would post it but l am not good on a computer . it would (only my opinion ) seem to be are to find a fighter who could go to throwdowns or bare knuckle event and do well . if some one had some quaulity free fighting videos of tai chi l would like to see them for interest sake.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    3/27/2007 3:29pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Erle Montague might not be the best place to start. If you find a TCC school, odds are that they don't fight. Sometimes people believe if they do the form enough their body will learn how to defend itself or something silly like that.

The past tendencies to delay martial training in TCC, plus attempts of CMA to be less open have created a legacy of crappy, deluded teachers, IMHO. Today, I think the trend is to introduce students to the martial aspects sooner. But now we have to fight for credibility--and the marketplace has never had so many options for a new MA student.

This has created another challenge for martial TCC: lack of good students. The majority of new students start TCC for new-agey moving meditation and most of those quit once they find out that you have do some work. The percentage of students who start TCC for martial training is rather small.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2007 4:50pm

Style: pak mei

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    l would like a question answered if l might . where is your wu style from? hong kong or shanghia . as theres a difference .
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast