Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2012 5:14pm

Style: Muay Thai and BJJ(noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Weight cutting for Wrestling?

Hello i'm going to try out for my Schools Wrestling team this school year and i'm planning to cut weight. I normally fluctuate between 150-155, but I want to wrestle at 140-145 instead.
    This is the food I eat on an average day:
    Breakfast: 4 Eggs(Only one Yolk though) in the morning with a glass of 2% milk
    Lunch: A small bowl of Chicken and veggies
    Dinner: 2 Chicken slices with 1 slice of Cheese
    I also snack on stuff between my meals on stuff like Chicharrones, Nuts, and peanut butter crackers. To drink I have lots of water every day, like at least a couple of liters and 2 glasses of milk(including the one I had at breakfast).
    So is the way I eat okay? what should I change? What have you guys done when cutting weight? Opinions please!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2012 5:16pm

Style: Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My buddy's who wrestled always walked around at least 10lbs over the weight they were for weigh-ins, so you're probably fine the way you are.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/27/2012 7:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i was going to write a long sarcastic post detailing how i went from 158 to 143 for a judo tournament recently, but it wasn't going to help you much due to the sarcasm and me being a 41 year old who had at least that much bodyfat to lose. (if you really want to know, get a supporting membership and read my training blog.)

anyway, the real answer is... ask your coach.
    ask the guys who currently wrestle for your team.

they are going to know what the current deal is with making weight, now that there are all sorts of regulations in place for wrestlers, and will have the best advice for you.

oh and the secret to what i did? nothing but lean protein and raw spinach for lunch and dinner for a few weeks has always worked for me, but that's just me. and i always had whole grain carbs with protein for breakfast too. also lots of running.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2012 8:34pm

Style: Muay Thai and BJJ(noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I asked my coach and he gave me some sound advice and that worked out well. Anyways thank you for the info nonetheless I greatly appreciate it.

Posted On:
    8/27/2012 9:37pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD Muay Thai Capoeira

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The wrestlers at my school tell me too dehydrate you'reself so you have no water weight for the weigh in.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    8/28/2012 2:45am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RagingStorm View Post
    The wrestlers at my school tell me too dehydrate you'reself so you have no water weight for the weigh in.
    There's two parts to cutting weight.
    First, there's just losing fat mass, which is done over the course of weeks through diet and exercise, until your body is about as lean as it's going to be. This isn't really *cutting* weight, in the traditional sense, just losing it.
    The second, and far more hellish part is what you're describing - the cut itself. This consists of sweating out pounds and pounds of water without rehydrating, and is generally done no more than 24 hours before weigh ins.
    And it *really* sucks. I've done 10-12 lb cuts for MMA fights, and I assure you, you gain a whole new understanding of the word 'discipline' when you're starving and thirsty with food and water at hand, and forcing yourself not to indulge.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.