Posted On:
    7/26/2012 8:10am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My first Kyokushin Karate tournament.

Hey guys.

It's been quite a long time since I've posted here, but I finally decided to chuck up a thread ha.

I started Kyokushin Karate at the start of the year and last April I entered a tournament. I hadn't done any proper fighting like this before and decided I'd give it a go.

I was nervous as all hell going into the first fight but ended up making it through to the second. Unfortunately there was a 40 min break between them and I had cooled down and was hurting a bit ha.

We had to wear mouth-guards, groin-guards and shin pads, but 5 mins before the first fight we were told to take them off ha.

I didn't get any footage of the first fight, sorry, but it was way better than the second. Way more action and I landed a couple of tricking head kicks. This one being quite slow because we were both buggered. Not to mention we were from the same Dojo.

I learnt quite a bit about myself from the experience. Also I'll say that with the adrenalin pumping I got tunnel vision and couldn't hear anyone around me :/

So here's the second fight. More info is in the video description but if there is any questions go nuts. If not, have a good laugh at my n00bness :/

Also at one point I almost got knocked out, it doesn't even look like much but at the time I thought I was going down.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 9:11am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congrats on the win!

I just started KK this month. I can't wait for my first tournament.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 9:40am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know anything about kyokushin, but I thought you did pretty well against someone who (I assume because of the belt colours, duh) is more experienced than you. I feel like you could have attacked the hair a bit more, I'm sure that would have given you the edge.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 9:49am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by huge View Post
    Congrats on the win!

I should clarify that I didn't win the second fight :(

You'll love it. Fitness is key. It's hard work but the reward is good. OSU!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 10:44am

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congrats on the win!

What's the tournament availability like in your area? I don't know about your finances or ability to travel, but Washington state is having its "semi-contact" Kyokushin tournament in early October. This basically is the same thing as full contact, but the competitors wear MMA gloves and shin guards. It's a pretty good opportunity for someone fighting their first tournament. I know there's a big one in Montreal next March, but my understanding is that a good deal of world class fighters compete in that one. I'm not sure I'm quite the pedigree for that action, but I've never been to Montreal and may attend just to watch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 11:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Volya View Post
    I should clarify that I didn't win the second fight :(

You'll love it. Fitness is key. It's hard work but the reward is good. OSU!
    Sorry, I was the one that wasn't clear.

Congrats on winning the first match!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 11:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RWaggs View Post
    What's the tournament availability like in your area? I don't know about your finances or ability to travel, but Washington state is having its "semi-contact" Kyokushin tournament in early October. This basically is the same thing as full contact, but the competitors wear MMA gloves and shin guards. It's a pretty good opportunity for someone fighting their first tournament. I know there's a big one in Montreal next March, but my understanding is that a good deal of world class fighters compete in that one. I'm not sure I'm quite the pedigree for that action, but I've never been to Montreal and may attend just to watch.
    I'm not certain. I know we have the Calgary Cup and the Alberta Open every year. I've heard of a couple in Washington and BC, which are relatively close.

My instructor asked me if I was interested in tournament competition so I'm sure he has a couple in mind.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 11:20am

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not certain. I know we have the Calgary Cup and the Alberta Open every year. I've heard of a couple in Washington and BC, which are relatively close.

My instructor asked me if I was interested in tournament competition so I'm sure he has a couple in mind.
    I wasn't even aware of the Alberta and Calgary ones. May have to look into those.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/28/2012 12:01am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Work on penetrating with your kicks - you tended to kick too far away. Kick through the opponent. Anyhow, congrats on stepping up; competition teaches tons, doesn't it?
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2012 8:38am

Style: BJJ/Iron Palm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You lost that fight? Which one were you? I thought the white belt landed more shots and showed more aggression and ring generalship.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast