Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/27/2012 4:46pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsaun View Post
    Why would I? Aren't most MA's train to have respect and discipline. I don't think the avg. street thug trains in Enshin. I don't just go for ear slaps or eye gouges straight off, I work them into my Silat SD drills. If you go to sucker punch me I block and step offline and forward in one movement and as I block your punch and pass you I look for closest target. If that's your ear great, eye great, throat sure. I wouldn't discriminate I improvise as best as I can. All I care about is ending the attack as quickly as possible.
    Then learn how to box.

Posted On:
    7/27/2012 5:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ...I...step...offline...forward...block...pass.... look...for...target.
    Yep, fights sure happen at that, um, methodical pace.

Really.

No, really.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/27/2012 5:20pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aren't most MA's train to have respect and discipline.
    Aren't priests supposed to be pious and never engage in power plays or deviant sex?
    I don't think the avg. street thug trains in Enshin.
    "The average thug will never think to do that" is a cop out in martial arts, and possibly a dangerous one. Also, training for the lowest common denominator hardly warrants a lifetime of study.

I don't just go for ear slaps or eye gouges straight off, I work them into my Silat SD drills.
    I'm sure your instructor loves this.

If you go to sucker punch me I block and step offline and forward in one movement and as I block your punch and pass you I look for closest target.
    If its a proper sucker punch, you go down to the ground like a falling tree when it hits you unaware.

I understand all the phrases you used here but what you're saying with certainty is not something that can be done with certainty after a few months.

If that's your ear great, eye great, throat sure. I wouldn't discriminate I improvise as best as I can.
    Improvising is great, but you could improvise before you started learning martial arts. Its like you're at a piano school not playing the piano because you want them to listen to how good you can scat. Boobity bop!

Also, you may want to try boxing for a few months to see the uphill battle of hitting tiny targets like the eye or ear. You'll probably find in sparring, when the other guy can move and hit you, that larger targets like the head, jaw, breadbasket etc are hard enough to hit consistently, without trying to aim at little quarter sized ones. You may also find that a boxer or untrained person under stress will tuck their chin and raise their shoulders, which will make the throat and sides of neck harder to hit and position the head in such a way that it withstands forward force much better than when the head is up and relaxed.

All I care about is ending the attack as quickly as possible.
    Eventually you should go beyond this. Violence comes in all kinds of forms and gouging eyes is only to be used in a very narrow spectrum.
    Last edited by Permalost; 7/27/2012 5:24pm at .
  4. danielsaun

Posted On:
    7/27/2012 5:27pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Yep, fights sure happen at that, um, methodical pace.

Really.

No, really.
    I don't doubt you know a lot more than I do as you deal with violence on a more regular basis. I am well aware street fights and SD are much more dynamic, but this is the tool my guru gave me so I am taking what I can from it since I don't have a better alternative at the moment.

Posted On:
    7/27/2012 5:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't doubt you know a lot more than I do as you deal with violence on a more regular basis. I am well aware street fights and SD are much more dynamic, but this is the tool my guru gave me so I am taking what I can from it since I don't have a better alternative at the moment.
    You don't have an alternative in Colorado?
  6. danielsaun

Posted On:
    7/27/2012 5:34pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    You don't have an alternative in Colorado?
    Sure, but I don't have endless time and resources to check out everything that's why I am asking on this forum to learn and exchange ideas, not to get into a pissing match.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2012 5:44pm

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Something something judo and boxing.

Posted On:
    7/27/2012 5:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep Judo & Boxing is a damn good combination for any number of very good reasons to train.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/27/2012 6:02pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which "Guru?" One tells you to do something and you nut up. Another tells you to heed poor advice and you listen.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2012 6:24pm

Style: BJJ, Yoga

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I very rarely come out of lurking to post, but you have baited me out. As for advice, I recommend that you decide if you will stay at your current school or not. If you do not like it, move along, don't take up other peoples time with questions and second guessing. Vote with your feet and your dollar, not inane speculation . That part is up to you. But if you do choose to stay, with three whole months of training and a lot of misconceptions about SD, I would pipe down and learn what the guy is teaching. You are at a place where your opinions on techniques are not valid in any art. All of this holds true no matter where or what you train.

Also, don't get hung up on fighting for SD IMO. If you are that worried about it get a gun, knife, or move to the top of a mountain away from the "thugs". Learn an art for the physical and mental challenge, not out of fear of getting beaten up. Enjoy your practice. If you do it this way you will find that you are indeed more confident and physically able to defend yourself should the need arise. At the end of the day martial arts are about beating people up, don't go off the deep end on gouges and nut rakes. They are not magic, and I have been gouged and kicked in the balls tons during rolling and just continued on. Do not build you training around these dirty techs, they will fail you.

And finally, don't look at another Youtube video until you have a basic understanding of what ever art you choose.Either they are useless and fake demos, or you do not have the ability to pick up the technique from them because you do not see the whole picture. I have studied Bjj for four years, and Youtube videos were useless to me until at least 1.5 to 2 years in. I did not understand the whole purpose of the moves shown or their use until I had enough experience to break the move down my self while watching. You are not getting ahead of the curve by watching these. I love nothing more than when we get a Youtube grappler that shows up and thinks he knows more than people with mat time. They usually have a lot of questions during tech demos, followed by why they do it some way or another. Then as soon as we start to roll they have a very bad night. They all seem shocked that Youtube wrasslen in their buddies basement didn't work out how they pictured in a real class. Please do not be that guy. Show up and learn.

In short find an art you like and train hard, spar, and learn. I wish you the best of luck, just remember to STFU and listen. It saves you a lot of pain down the road.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast