226104 Bullies, 4180 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 21 to 30 of 57
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. danielsaun

    Guest

    Posted On:
    7/27/2012 10:53am


     

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    I personally think the whole, "I don't care if I go to Jail because I'm defending my family" thing is a copout. If you can't defend yourself without also knowing the consequences of what you are doing, while you are doing it, then you need more training. Otherwise, you are just the average person on the street, flailing around and you don't need any training to do that.

    All that aside, it sounds to me like you don't agree, on a bunch of different levels, with what your teacher is teaching. That happens all the time. It should be shortly followed with you leaving the school. End of story. Don't waiste his or your time. Not everyone is there to learn to fight. Some people want the fitness, social, or historical aspect of the art. It is what it is.
    You are probably right and I am considered leaving, that's why I am on this board considering other alternatives for SD training. When I started going to this school it was advertised as learn how to defend yourself in 1 month with 3-4 basic moves with a basis in Silat. I am not the most coordinated so I figure ok it takes me longer to get those basic moves. Now its almost as if the class is morphing into a sliat class that was orig. advertised as NO BS SD based on Silat. I trying to find balance between researching what I believe to effective and make sense and then realizing I need to experience which takes a lot of time and money.

    Heck I don't have a problem admitting when I am wrong or think I am. I learned with the help of this board that I would love to learn to FMA but I don't have the time commitment/money at this point. Who knows maybe I am all wrong and he is right? I am all about objective truth, if your ways works better than that's the way to go.
  2. Vieux Normand is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,271

    Posted On:
    7/27/2012 10:59am

    Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsaun View Post
    I am willing to pressure test The Shredder as long as I don't lose my eye in class, LOL. I was just impressed after doing research on The Shredder that bouncers and cops use it.
    Worked the door at clubs since the 80s. Never resorted to "shredder", eye gouges or ear slaps. Never resorted to anything I hadn't used in sparring/randori. Double ear slaps work about as often as "pressure points", even on people who are merely standing there having this stuff demonstrated on them (been the "dummy" for this sort of stuff, it had no effect on me whatsoever, so I don't trust it).

    An eye gouge on somebody whose head is moving (as in "they're really fighting back") may happen by accident, but the percentage is low--and it's even less likely that it would be a strike that would have the exact depth and angle required to end the fight...though it might serve to piss off an adversary even more. If you already control the body, neck and head enough to get your fingers into an opponent's eyes, what will you tell the judge who asks you: "If you already had him, why did you rip at his eyes"?

    I am trying to keep an open mind about MMA for SD. I guess I default to MMA=BJJ and I don't want to go the ground because I disagree with many on this site that all SD attacks and street fights go to the ground. That has not been my experience personally and you can watch many a YT fight where I see nothing more than a sloppy haymaker shot and then a clinch.........the clinch occurs because of sloppy technique IMO, maybe I am wrong?
    Not wanting to go to the ground is exactly why you should train for it. Defending a takedown cannot be done without physically as well as mentally learning the mechanics of takedowns. Learning to position properly and otherwise respond to a takedown (and any ground action that follows) will give you a better chance of getting back to your feet sooner. As for clinches, if you imagine they are merely the result of "sloppy technique", then all I can suggest is that you go to sources other than the YT vids you refer to.
  3. RWaggs is online now

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kenmore, WA
    Posts
    915

    Posted On:
    7/27/2012 11:00am


     Style: KK

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DanielSaun. Where in Colorado are you? One thing that comes to mind is that Enshin is pretty much based in Colorado (there are multiple schools in Denver), will teach you to fight, and isn't a "going to the ground" art. It sounds like you're not that hot on the instruction you're getting in the first place.
  4. danielsaun

    Guest

    Posted On:
    7/27/2012 11:00am


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So i'd say either join up with other MABS people and larp it up- OR check out Dog Brothers/ Paul Vunak to learn things SIMILAR to what you are talking about/interested in- but grounded in an alive realistic system.

    What is MABS I tried do a search and can't find a description or website? I like Vunak alot I just never found learning from a video replaced in person instruction. And do to $$$ training with him in person isn't possible.
  5. danielsaun

    Guest

    Posted On:
    7/27/2012 11:02am


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RWaggs View Post
    DanielSaun. Where in Colorado are you? One thing that comes to mind is that Enshin is pretty much based in Colorado (there are multiple schools in Denver), will teach you to fight, and isn't a "going to the ground" art. It sounds like you're not that hot on the instruction you're getting in the first place.
    I am in South Denver Metro. I have never heard of Enshin will take a look thanks.
  6. Permalost is online now
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,566

    Posted On:
    7/27/2012 11:02am

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsaun View Post
    I agree after reading on aliveness and we aren't very alive at all. Very little pressure testing.
    So your problem is that they're not pressure testing, but you're the one who insists on using techniques that can't be pressure tested? Weird.
  7. RWaggs is online now

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kenmore, WA
    Posts
    915

    Posted On:
    7/27/2012 11:05am


     Style: KK

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Worked the door at clubs since the 80s. Never resorted to "shredder", eye gouges or ear slaps. Never resorted to anything I hadn't used in sparring/randori. Double ear slaps work about as often as "pressure points", even on people who are merely standing there having this stuff demonstrated on them (been the "dummy" for this sort of stuff, it had no effect on me whatsoever, so I don't trust it).

    An eye gouge on somebody whose head is moving (as in "they're really fighting back") may happen by accident, but the percentage is low--and it's even less likely that it would be a strike that would have the exact depth and angle required to end the fight...though it might serve to piss off an adversary even more. If you already control the body, neck and head enough to get your fingers into an opponent's eyes, what will you tell the judge who asks you: "If you already had him, why did you rip at his eyes"?
    ^^^^This. Yeah, I want to fight the guy who's gonna try to pull ear slaps and eye gouges on me. May as well just gift wrap the win for me. A good grappler or boxer, on the other hand, will likely feed me my lunch.
  8. danielsaun

    Guest

    Posted On:
    7/27/2012 11:14am


     

    0
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    So your problem is that they're not pressure testing, but you're the one who insists on using techniques that can't be pressure tested? Weird.
    I am new, and confused, to MA/SD. I want to pressure test them but don't want to lose an eye in the process, if that makes sense. The world is grey IMO not black and white IMO. This is one of those grey areas. I really do want to pressure test but am concerned about getting seriously injured and not being able to work. This board is doing a good job of dispelling some of my preconceived notions.
  9. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,994

    Posted On:
    7/27/2012 11:23am

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsaun View Post
    I am new, and confused, to MA/SD. I want to pressure test them but don't want to lose an eye in the process, if that makes sense. The world is grey IMO not black and white IMO. This is one of those grey areas. I really do want to pressure test but am concerned about getting seriously injured and not being able to work. This board is doing a good job of dispelling some of my preconceived notions.
    As was pointed out earlier. The easiest way to work a gouge is using a jab. Next, you get a law book for your area and learn the difference between maiming and self defense.
  10. johnny_cage is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    218

    Posted On:
    7/27/2012 11:24am


     Style: Jujutsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danielsaun View Post
    So i'd say either join up with other MABS people and larp it up- OR check out Dog Brothers/ Paul Vunak to learn things SIMILAR to what you are talking about/interested in- but grounded in an alive realistic system.

    What is MABS I tried do a search and can't find a description or website? I like Vunak alot I just never found learning from a video replaced in person instruction. And do to $$$ training with him in person isn't possible.
    Sorry- i shouldn't have combined those without defining.

    Martial Arts Bull ****- You'll find [if you lurk this site and read alot] that there are ALOT of people that value ear slaps/eye gouges- unfortunately MOST of them train these- to the exclusion of functional systems.

    There are alot of "anti MMA-sport" people who teach techniques based off of 'what isnt allowed' and incorrectly assume that means the techniques are SUPER good.

    My suggestion? watch 'die less often' by the dog brothers- and then join up with a FMA- or BJJ school. (and keep your moth shut when you disagree with them- lol)
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.