Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/28/2012 7:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Auszi View Post
    wondering whether a seated base going for butterfly guard might be better for me.
    Interesting question, I personally find myself working from combat base a lot, but I enjoy playing the top game. I find for me being less athletic then the people I work with its a bit easier. I can go nice and slow just watch their grips, make sure you keep your base and stuff their sweeps, keep your arms in tight. I personally like my right hand controlling the hips with the elbow glued to my knee. Other hand is controlling the knee or even better the ankle. Usually looking for a knee slide pass.
    If you are going to work a top game maintaining constant pressure is a must and being very mindful of where your base, head, and arms is all a must.

Posted On:
    7/29/2012 12:40am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dean Lister doing the knee slide pass so that you know exactly what I am talking about

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2012 6:50am

Style: BJJ Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Interesting question, I personally find myself working from combat base a lot, but I enjoy playing the top game. I find for me being less athletic then the people I work with its a bit easier. I can go nice and slow just watch their grips, make sure you keep your base and stuff their sweeps, keep your arms in tight. I personally like my right hand controlling the hips with the elbow glued to my knee. Other hand is controlling the knee or even better the ankle. Usually looking for a knee slide pass.
    If you are going to work a top game maintaining constant pressure is a must and being very mindful of where your base, head, and arms is all a must.
    Maybe I have been too aggressive from combat base and it has opened me up too much.

One of my concerns from sticking with combat base was this issue of control, my opponents can just blast pass me, not even getting the chance to control them.

I will give it another go, and try a slower pace, and see if I can at least just put off them passing for as long as possible.

Posted On:
    7/29/2012 12:45pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Question?
    Are you going in real aggressively before getting good dominate grips?

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    7/29/2012 9:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Focus on controlling their hips by putting your weight on their hips once you've killed their hooks and crossface their head. Other tips would be they need their feet on the ground to get up so lift up their legs, and they usually pop up to an elbow before they scramble up so keep pulling that elbow out from under them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2012 5:27am

Style: BJJ Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Question?
    Are you going in real aggressively before getting good dominate grips?
    My two scenarios are, I go in aggressively not with great control,either on the ground or standing up if I have to, or I play defensive and they blast past me, either way I end up getting passed.

Generally of late, I have been playing a defensive game for all the good it's done me.

I did in the past play combat base more often, which relates to your other post and why I will give it another go but more controlled

Quote Originally Posted by David Koresh Jr. View Post
    Focus on controlling their hips by putting your weight on their hips once you've killed their hooks and crossface their head. Other tips would be they need their feet on the ground to get up so lift up their legs, and they usually pop up to an elbow before they scramble up so keep pulling that elbow out from under them.
    Just got to get them there first, but I will give it a go, generally people turtle when I have them in side control.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    7/30/2012 7:25am

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Auszi View Post
    My two scenarios are, I go in aggressively not with great control,either on the ground or standing up if I have to, or I play defensive and they blast past me, either way I end up getting passed.

Generally of late, I have been playing a defensive game for all the good it's done me.

I did in the past play combat base more often, which relates to your other post and why I will give it another go but more controlled

Just got to get them there first, but I will give it a go, generally people turtle when I have them in side control.
    Pull up on their far side elbow if they are turning away from you. If they are turning toward you to turtle, underhook and pull up on the near side elbow.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12