Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. #11
    goodlun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona CA
    Posts
    7,301
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Auszi View Post
    wondering whether a seated base going for butterfly guard might be better for me.
    Interesting question, I personally find myself working from combat base a lot, but I enjoy playing the top game. I find for me being less athletic then the people I work with its a bit easier. I can go nice and slow just watch their grips, make sure you keep your base and stuff their sweeps, keep your arms in tight. I personally like my right hand controlling the hips with the elbow glued to my knee. Other hand is controlling the knee or even better the ankle. Usually looking for a knee slide pass.
    If you are going to work a top game maintaining constant pressure is a must and being very mindful of where your base, head, and arms is all a must.

  2. #12
    goodlun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona CA
    Posts
    7,301
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dean Lister doing the knee slide pass so that you know exactly what I am talking about

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    433
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Interesting question, I personally find myself working from combat base a lot, but I enjoy playing the top game. I find for me being less athletic then the people I work with its a bit easier. I can go nice and slow just watch their grips, make sure you keep your base and stuff their sweeps, keep your arms in tight. I personally like my right hand controlling the hips with the elbow glued to my knee. Other hand is controlling the knee or even better the ankle. Usually looking for a knee slide pass.
    If you are going to work a top game maintaining constant pressure is a must and being very mindful of where your base, head, and arms is all a must.
    Maybe I have been too aggressive from combat base and it has opened me up too much.

    One of my concerns from sticking with combat base was this issue of control, my opponents can just blast pass me, not even getting the chance to control them.

    I will give it another go, and try a slower pace, and see if I can at least just put off them passing for as long as possible.

  4. #14
    goodlun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona CA
    Posts
    7,301
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Question?
    Are you going in real aggressively before getting good dominate grips?

  5. #15
    Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off
    DKJr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    3,214
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Focus on controlling their hips by putting your weight on their hips once you've killed their hooks and crossface their head. Other tips would be they need their feet on the ground to get up so lift up their legs, and they usually pop up to an elbow before they scramble up so keep pulling that elbow out from under them.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    433
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Question?
    Are you going in real aggressively before getting good dominate grips?
    My two scenarios are, I go in aggressively not with great control,either on the ground or standing up if I have to, or I play defensive and they blast past me, either way I end up getting passed.

    Generally of late, I have been playing a defensive game for all the good it's done me.

    I did in the past play combat base more often, which relates to your other post and why I will give it another go but more controlled


    Quote Originally Posted by David Koresh Jr. View Post
    Focus on controlling their hips by putting your weight on their hips once you've killed their hooks and crossface their head. Other tips would be they need their feet on the ground to get up so lift up their legs, and they usually pop up to an elbow before they scramble up so keep pulling that elbow out from under them.
    Just got to get them there first, but I will give it a go, generally people turtle when I have them in side control.

  7. #17
    Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off
    DKJr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    3,214
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Auszi View Post
    My two scenarios are, I go in aggressively not with great control,either on the ground or standing up if I have to, or I play defensive and they blast past me, either way I end up getting passed.

    Generally of late, I have been playing a defensive game for all the good it's done me.

    I did in the past play combat base more often, which relates to your other post and why I will give it another go but more controlled




    Just got to get them there first, but I will give it a go, generally people turtle when I have them in side control.
    Pull up on their far side elbow if they are turning away from you. If they are turning toward you to turtle, underhook and pull up on the near side elbow.

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO