Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. tarnish

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 11:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

martial arts for mentally and physically disabled people

I just watched a programme about a special school for kids with profund physical disabilities
    It totally blew me away

I work with people with mental health problems and learning disabilities
    It got me thinking

As an exkickboxing coach myself i was wondering what people thought about teaching martial arts to people with either physical or mental disabilities or combinations of both?

I guess anything taught would need modifying but please let me know if you think this is a good idea,a bad idea or just your thoughts.
    Last edited by tarnish; 7/26/2012 11:18am at .

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 5:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well the special Olympics includes Judo
    I would think the grappling based systems would offer the most adaptability
    I am sure this has been posted before but

I can't see any reason why with some extra care that a program couldn't be put together for just about anyone who really wants to do it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 6:05pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained with two brothers who have cerebral palsy. Their physical therapist reckoned their karate training had improved their coordination better than anything he'd seen in his other patients. They loved it too, even if all they were really doing was kata over and over.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 6:29pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's so vague a question as to be difficult to address. A physical disability could be anything from impaired sight (which makes little to no difference in many martial arts...hell, I'm fully sighted, but sometimes I just close my eyes in BJJ rolling because I find sight more distracting than helpful) to quadriplegia that renders any form of martial arts impossible. In between, you have an enormous and ill-defined range of conditions. And the same goes for mental disability. It's a very vague term. A specific disability, physical or mental, might make martial arts a particularly good idea, a particularly terrible idea, or have no bearing at all one way or another.

In very loose and general terms, I think that exercise is good for everyone and perhaps extra important for people with many kinds of disabilities, and that functional martial arts in particular can be empowering for the disempowered...but that opinion isn't really specific to the disabled.

Agreed that grappling in particular allows people with a very wide variety of physical disabilities to adapt, as it doesn't require sight (or hearing), as technique can make up for very great discrepancies in physical attributes, and as grappling can demonstrably be done by people who lack several limbs (I'm sure we've all seen the videos).
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    7/27/2012 4:11am

supporting member
     Style: mma

Hell yeah! Hell no!

judo is cool

Our club promoted SNJ but got very little response (One student who only stayed for four classes). For our student, who was autistic, Ukemi was the most valuable lesson. All kids should learn to fall
    Watch my post count die
  6. tarnish

Posted On:
    7/27/2012 6:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cheers people you've given me a lot to think about.

I was intentionally vague due to not wishing to breach confidentiality
    But i understand this made the question harder to answer.

To be honest i have taught someone with learning
    disabilities in the past but due to reasons i can't go into they had to stop.
    I also had a few students with ADHD and once this was brought to my attention by their parents this was no problem as i knew how to deal with them.

Those videos you posted are very inspiring.
    You've given me plenty to think about.

Posted On:
    7/30/2012 3:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ryukyu Kobujutsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi,

This is my first post here, so try to I hit two birds with one stone - introduce myself and hopefully follow the topic too.

I was actually born with a serious case of cerebral palsy (plus, the former USSR back in 1969 was not quite the best place for such people). At first, nobody believed that I'd survive ("he's gonna be a vegetable", yadda yadda). But my parents were two unrealistic crazies (love them!) and decided to bring me up. Everyone around us said that they were out of their minds.

Started to walk at the age of six. Around 10, started to ride bicycle (Mum was out of town and Dad decided to shock her by teaching me to ride. The first attempt ended up in the anthill though...) and by high school, went to gym for the first time. Everyone said that we were all out of our minds.

Finally at the university (2nd year), I looked up the local Shotokan club. Sensei thought that I was out... etc. But nevertheless, he decided to give it a try (a big thumbs-up to him!). I stayed there for a decade. For various reasons, the Shotokan period ended - but I got picked up by my graduate advisor (in the best historic style of academic dispute - run out of words, take up swords!) and have studied under him ever since. I am still a lowly student by all means, but considering the starting position, this has not gone that bad.

Now to the original question posted by Tarnish. First of all, I would differentiate mental and physical handicaps as I think that the former definitely takes some background in special education methods from the teacher. Nevertheless, I have seen both groups of people benefitting greatly from martial arts training.

But I am absolutely sure that martial arts are among the best possible rehabilitation methods for a variety of physical disabilities (including the CP that I have). I have literally developed 'out of the bounds' of the original diagnosis (as voiced by several therapists) and have also managed to help other people by passing on the knowledge. Should I become old one day (which is highly questionable as my wife says I haven't even grown up yet...), I would like to put the experiences together - in a book perhaps.

The whole subject is definitely fascinating and is a good proof to the principle 'the sky is the limit'.

Respectfully,

Kaido aka UncleOwl
    Last edited by UncleOwl; 7/30/2012 3:46pm at .

Posted On:
    7/31/2012 3:07am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ryukyu Kobujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Some photos from a camp

(Note to moderators: I tried to put up some pics but I have too low post count to post them. So I have to bend some rules and post the picture links in a modified form - if you consider it a breach, please remove the post. Yet I think these pictures answer the original post by Tarnish rather well - I'd be grateful if any of the moderators could post them on my behalf, feel free to check the links first).

I found some pictures from the children and youth camp titled "Dare to Live" back in 2007 and 2008. It featured martial arts -based exercises as a central part of the programme.

[ www dot kakupesa dot net slash kakk slash pildid slash maks dot jpg ]

The guy here got his hands onto a bokken for the first time. After that, he hardly put it away throughout the camp, displaying serious budo spirit. After the camp, I cut his name onto the bokken in Japanese (had to look that up, I don't speak it) and gave it to him as a gift. The dude shone like a Christmas tree...

[ www dot kakupesa dot net slash kakk slash pildid slash matz dot jpg ]

This gentleman here only has one functioning leg (the other one is artificial) and no hands (on one side, he has a couple of fingers attached right to the shoulder). So we wondered if any TKD-style kicks could be mastered by him - the first attempts went rather well. Again, the boy (11 at the time) was one of the most optimistic and serious participants.

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    7/31/2012 4:38am

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Watch my post count die

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    7/31/2012 6:39am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleOwl View Post
    (Note to moderators: I tried to put up some pics but I have too low post count to post them. So I have to bend some rules and post the picture links in a modified form - if you consider it a breach, please remove the post. Yet I think these pictures answer the original post by Tarnish rather well - I'd be grateful if any of the moderators could post them on my behalf, feel free to check the links first).
    You're doing fine. In this section, the technique forums, the number one rule is to stay on the original topic. I'm heading off to work , so I don't have time to add the pictures to your post, but it looks like doofaloofa has already helped out.

Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    Thank you. Although when I clicked on your post to read the thread, I thought you were trolling before I scrolled up.
    Shut the hell up and train.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast