Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2012 9:08pm

Style: Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    Which brings us back to MMA. If peekaboo fighters are vulnerable with body punches as well as high volume strikes in boxing, I'm sure the addition of kicks will cause more problems.
    This is a good thorough analysis, but I feel like bringing the issue of kicking into it is sort of a straw man or something related. Addition of kicks would cause any style of boxer trouble, because they aren't used to kicks, and the stance isn't made to be useful for checking kicks. Even rangy boxers wouldn't usually have enough range to out-jab someone who throws quick leg-kicks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2012 11:30pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    This is a good thorough analysis, but I feel like bringing the issue of kicking into it is sort of a straw man or something related. Addition of kicks would cause any style of boxer trouble, because they aren't used to kicks, and the stance isn't made to be useful for checking kicks. Even rangy boxers wouldn't usually have enough range to out-jab someone who throws quick leg-kicks.
    A lot of this is an interesting "what if?". However, we also know that there's several athletes who've had success in both boxing and other forms of martial arts.

I'd like to talk about Troy Dorsey who is unique in that he's the only man to have held world titles in karate, kickboxing, and boxing.

Here's a list of his karate/kickboxing accomplishments:

Here's a list of his boxing accomplishments:

• 1989 NABF Championion
    • 1991 IBF World Champion
    • 1996 IBO World Champion

Here's footage of Troy Dorsey in a kickboxing match:

Here's footage of Troy Dorsey in a boxing match:

The interesting thing I find about Dorsey is that, even though he made profound adjustments when he switched from kickboxing to boxing, his actual style of fighting didn't. If I were to describe Dorsey's style of boxing, it would be as a pressure fighter.

Pressure fighters rely on their strong chin more than other fighters. They continuously move forward, try to get underneath their opponent, with the goal of overwhelming them with a high volume of punches. Dorsey actually holds the record for most punches thrown in a match: 1,527 in a 12 round fight.

When he competed as a kickboxer, he fought very similarly. Obviously, he had to make big adjustments when switching from one ruleset to the other. His principles of fighting remained the same, however. Dorsey moved forward, tried to get underneath his opponent, and tried to overwhelm him with a high volume of punches.
    Last edited by atomicpoet; 8/01/2012 11:34pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2012 11:41pm

Style: Hung Gar

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But again that's about his training and conditioning not his defensive stance per se. Not doing peekabo isn't what made him great. He was just a good fighter.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2012 11:55pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    But again that's about his training and conditioning not his defensive stance per se. Not doing peekabo isn't what made him great. He was just a good fighter.
    Pressure fighters are not brawlers. They're more defensive than credited. By moving close and underneath, they're giving their opponent little real estate to attack. When their opponent does attack, they try to roll with the punches minimizing their impact. Obviously, it doesn't look as slick as the Phillie Shell, but it can be effective.

The great Jake LaMotta was a pressure fighter. He did much the same as Dorsey did, but was probably more talented at rolling with the punches.

Posted On:
    8/02/2012 2:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First off I don't know ****
    But I would imagine that being a pressure fighter in MMA isn't a good idea because of that whole grappling thing.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    8/02/2012 10:36am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A great athlete is a great athlete. Just look at Jose Canseco's illustrious MMA career after pro baseball.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2012 9:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^agreed

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2012 8:31am

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everything that has been said is valid; Boxing is a different horse than MMA.

But if Mike Tyson, in his prime, transfered to MMA, I think it would go like brock lesnar; first he' get exposed by a jiujitsu guy, then he learns basic defense and starts powering through some guys again, unless they have elite level jiujitsu skills. (But Iron Mike isn't a quitter).

Also think of the intimidation factor; If you are fighting Mike Tyson, you're not going to want to throw a punch or strike with him for a second; one hit and you're fucking dead, and he might kill you before the ref gets in between. That will cause a lot of hesitation.

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    8/03/2012 9:27am

supporting member
     Style: 

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My favorite Tyson highlight clip and training montage.

The younger crowd may not get this since they didn't grow up watching his fights, but Mike Tyson was not just a power puncher...he was very light on his feet and agile for his size...I think the perspective that he was just a bruiser is inaccurate...you're talking about one of the most powerful, fastest, accurate strikers in the history of pugilism.

And that's just when he's in his happy place..

On the ground I highly doubt he was any less dangerous than when standing...not to mention his propensity for going overboard when it comes to things like rules...

Last edited by W. Rabbit; 8/03/2012 9:39am at .

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    8/03/2012 9:30am

supporting member
     Style: 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphilis View Post
    Also think of the intimidation factor; If you are fighting Mike Tyson, you're not going to want to let him near any fleshy parts
    Fixed.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast