Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 6:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't but help think that Tyson had he trained MMA with good coaches he would have been a champ, he had athleticism, the jaw, a winning mentality, and the hunger.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 8:33pm

Style: Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sure, but he made way more money in boxing than he ever would have in MMA.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2012 1:28am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I can't but help think that Tyson had he trained MMA with good coaches he would have been a champ, he had athleticism, the jaw, a winning mentality, and the hunger.
    Couldn't that be said for every single boxing champ in the history of forever?

Posted On:
    7/27/2012 1:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by P Marsh View Post
    Couldn't that be said for every single boxing champ in the history of forever?
    Well you have Champions then you have Champions you know what I mean, but certainly it could probably said for all the greats.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2012 9:00pm

Style: JP Jeet June Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    atomicpoet
    But Cus D'Amato, Mike Tyson's trainer, developed him wholly into a peek-a-boo fighter. Tyson, to succeed, had to be a peek-a-boo fighter because of his short stature. Peek-a-boo does not lend itself to MMA just as the philly shell doesn't lend itself to MMA either (please see James Toney vs. Randy Couture).
    Do you think Peak a boo could be adapted to MMA? Of course assuming an underlying take down defense, and stance adjustments, but retaining slipping, weaving, and substitute ducking with the waist for bobbing with the knees. I bet it would look like an even more aggressive Vitor Belfort because he would have the in fighting skills.

Posted On:
    7/28/2012 1:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by brclry View Post
    Do you think Peak a boo could be adapted to MMA? Of course assuming an underlying take down defense, and stance adjustments, but retaining slipping, weaving, and substitute ducking with the waist for bobbing with the knees.
    Gee I dunno. You think?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2012 3:08pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by brclry View Post
    Do you think Peak a boo could be adapted to MMA? Of course assuming an underlying take down defense, and stance adjustments, but retaining slipping, weaving, and substitute ducking with the waist for bobbing with the knees. I bet it would look like an even more aggressive Vitor Belfort because he would have the in fighting skills.
    This is an interesting question. As time goes on, more elements of boxing are finding their way in MMA, so I hesitate to say that something cannot be done.

However, let's examine what makes the peekaboo style unique. In a peekaboo, a fighter keeps both hands close to his face at eye-nose level, positioned much like the baby's game. This makes the style an excellent complement for bobbing and weaving, as well as combos.

The peekaboo is great for shorter, stockier fighters because it offers their heads extra protection, as well as makes them more compact. Since both arms are relaxed close to the body, this allows for the body to deliver more torque in punches. This turned Mike Tyson's 5'10" frame into an advantage.

The peekaboo has its weaknesses even in boxing, though. If you're a taller fighter, you won't want to fight in peekaboo since this leaves you vulnerable to body shots. In addition, you better have good lateral footwork because the moment you stop moving, you're going to eat some punches.

Stylistically speaking, peakaboo fighters have troubles with volume punchers. That's because when you're in the high guard and your opponent is delivering combos, the first instinct is to not return fire until the flurry is over. A guy like Paul Williams can cause peekaboo fighters fits.

Which brings us back to MMA. If peekaboo fighters are vulnerable with body punches as well as high volume strikes in boxing, I'm sure the addition of kicks will cause more problems.

Now, I'm not saying that without adjustments the peekaboo can't work in MMA. I am saying that this style may not be as adaptable for MMA as other ones. If someone can do it, though, I'd love to watch it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2012 4:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Gee I dunno. You think?
    It was a leading question, and great example.

I would like to see the structure and throwing strategies of London Prize Rules boxing, specifically Daniel Mendoza's style, coupled with Tysons own infighting attributes. I think that would make an interesting system.

Posted On:
    8/01/2012 12:36am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It all depends on how well he picked up the ground and transition game, also if he could eat a leg kick. No idea to have any idea of his potential in those areas without it having happened, despite him having some wrestling experience. Impossible to know speculation is dumb.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2012 8:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    This is an interesting question. As time goes on, more elements of boxing are finding their way in MMA, so I hesitate to say that something cannot be done.

However, let's examine what makes the peekaboo style unique. In a peekaboo, a fighter keeps both hands close to his face at eye-nose level, positioned much like the baby's game. This makes the style an excellent complement for bobbing and weaving, as well as combos.

The peekaboo is great for shorter, stockier fighters because it offers their heads extra protection, as well as makes them more compact. Since both arms are relaxed close to the body, this allows for the body to deliver more torque in punches. This turned Mike Tyson's 5'10" frame into an advantage.

The peekaboo has its weaknesses even in boxing, though. If you're a taller fighter, you won't want to fight in peekaboo since this leaves you vulnerable to body shots. In addition, you better have good lateral footwork because the moment you stop moving, you're going to eat some punches.

Stylistically speaking, peakaboo fighters have troubles with volume punchers. That's because when you're in the high guard and your opponent is delivering combos, the first instinct is to not return fire until the flurry is over. A guy like Paul Williams can cause peekaboo fighters fits.

Which brings us back to MMA. If peekaboo fighters are vulnerable with body punches as well as high volume strikes in boxing, I'm sure the addition of kicks will cause more problems.

Now, I'm not saying that without adjustments the peekaboo can't work in MMA. I am saying that this style may not be as adaptable for MMA as other ones. If someone can do it, though, I'd love to watch it.
    Thats an awesome answer, the height, body shots part makes a lot of sense.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast