Sponsored Links Spacer Image

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 12:20pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love Tyson as much as I hate Mayweather.

19.75 inch neck.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 12:41pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great athletes who are not prepared for MMA will only get so far on their athleticism alone. Look at Jose Canseco's MMA performance, or when Chyna from WWE tried to box. But I'd say a lot of that comes from mentally falling apart after being hit, which Tyson is already familiar with, and his sport has so much overlap with MMA I'll bet he'd do well. Of course, he'd be training with MMA coaches instead of pure boxing, so his punching might not be as sharp, since it would only make up part of his training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 3:45pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HoneyRazwell View Post
    How would he do?

Who could punch faster or harder?

Who could have any chance against him trading punches?

Lidell would get knocked out in less than a minute I say.

Prime Mike Tyson was a phenomenon!
    Most boxers are much too specialized in the art of boxing to succeed at MMA, Mike Tyson included. Mostly, this is because they have no ground game whatsoever — which is essential to any success in MMA. Outcomes like Ray Mercer's win against Tim Sylvia are more the exception than the rule.

That said, I think the following boxers would have success in MMA for the mere reason that they were elite high school / college wrestlers before they turned to professional boxing.

• Kermit Cintron
    • Pawel Wolak
    • Vic Darchinyan

In fact, Wolak has announced his intention to start a new career in MMA, and Darchinyan has expressed interest as well.

As another intriguing possibility for MMA, I think Seth Mitchell could be good at it since he used to play college football.

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 3:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    Most boxers are much too specialized in the art of boxing to succeed at MMA, Mike Tyson included. Mostly, this is because they have no ground game whatsoever — which is essential to any success in MMA
    For all we know, Tyson is a beast on the ground too. Do you really think Iron Mike is a pussycat unless he's standing?

I'd love to see someone try to armbar Mike Tyson. Hell, I would pay to see it.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 4:13pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    For all we know, Tyson is a beast on the ground too. Do you really think Iron Mike is a pussycat unless he's standing?

You make valid points, and it is possible that he is a force while on the ground. I don't think he's a pussycat on any platform, he is strong, skilled, and when he is focused, he is a machine.

I would actually like to see how well he would do in UFC, adding the grappling and submission aspects; I just have no point of reference.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 4:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post

He's got zero training in wrestling, jiu-jitsu, etc. Do you think someone with zero training would succeed against the hundreds in MMA that do?

Even when it comes to striking, Tyson is limited. I'm not saying this as an affront against Tyson. He was the best in the world at that limited thing he did — good enough to become the youngest heavyweight champion in boxing ever.

But Cus D'Amato, Mike Tyson's trainer, developed him wholly into a peek-a-boo fighter. Tyson, to succeed, had to be a peek-a-boo fighter because of his short stature. Peek-a-boo does not lend itself to MMA just as the philly shell doesn't lend itself to MMA either (please see James Toney vs. Randy Couture).

Some boxers are pretty eclectic when it comes to fighting. Vitali Klitschko was a pro kickboxer before he was a pro boxer. Troy Dorsey won world championships in full contact karate before he won world titles in boxing. Hell, Pongsaklek Wonjongkam was schooled in Muay Thai before becoming one of the greatest (and underrated) boxers of the last decade.

Mike Tyson wasn't eclectic, though. He was a peek-a-boo boxer and only knew peek-a-boo boxing.

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 4:20pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    He's got zero training in wrestling, jiu-jitsu, etc. Do you think someone with zero training would succeed against the hundreds in MMA that do?

Even when it comes to striking, Tyson is limited. I'm not saying this as an affront against Tyson. He was the best in the world at that limited thing he did — good enough to become the youngest heavyweight champion in boxing ever.

But Cus D'Amato, Mike Tyson's trainer, developed him wholly into a peek-a-boo fighter. Tyson, to succeed, had to be a peek-a-boo fighter because of his short stature. Peek-a-boo does not lend itself to MMA just as the philly shell doesn't lend itself to MMA either (please see James Toney vs. Randy Couture).

Some boxers are pretty eclectic when it comes to fighting. Vitali Klitschko was a pro kickboxer before he was a pro boxer. Troy Dorsey won world championships in full contact karate before he won world titles in boxing. Hell, Pongsaklek Wonjongkam was schooled in Muay Thai before becoming one of the greatest (and underrated) boxers of the last decade.

Mike Tyson wasn't eclectic, though. He was a peek-a-boo boxer and only knew peek-a-boo boxing.
    He's also eaten part of Evander Holyfield.

/thread

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 4:44pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Of course, he'd be training with MMA coaches instead of pure boxing, so his punching might not be as sharp, since it would only make up part of his training.
    A good point, but by the same measure it wouldn't necessarily need to be as sharp when he's not facing pure boxers.

One thing's for sure - getting hit by a prime Tyson wearing MMA gloves is not something that any fighter could take a great deal of.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 5:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's something I've observed. Boxers who have ground training fight differently from those who don't. Typically, they tend to be pressure fighters who get in close, leveraging their weight to create opportunity.

Check out Pawel Wolak to see exactly what I mean:

By the way, check out this interview with Wolak where he talks about transitioning from boxing to MMA.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 5:27pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Even though he only used it for boxing, Tyson seemed to be very good about changing levels as defense and setup, so a MMA-trained Tyson may have indeed been good at taking people down and winning by gnp if his fighting style was tweaked.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast