Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Wholiganizm
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Live from London....

Hey all.

I found this site by googling "new to martial arts" - so here I am. Looks like every other mad town I've been to lol....

I'm 23, a musician and mildly autistic. I have come to a realization that I have wasted a potentially good physique so far by playing too much Football Manager over the years. So I want to get fit and learn martial arts too. Don't know which one/s yet, but that's what I'm here to find out.

That's about it really.....should be fun.

solves problems with violence supporting member
    Style
    Judo, Hung Family Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    depends what you want out of martial arts, but considering that you are in london; judo, boxing or bjj will probably be what you want.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Style
    Hung Gar
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome. We've got some cool Londoners on the site who might be able to recommend good gyms in your area. I feel obligated to mention that muay thai is a great workout and makes you feel tough too.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wholiganizm View Post
    Hey all.

I found this site by googling "new to martial arts" - so here I am. Looks like every other mad town I've been to lol....

I'm 23, a musician and mildly autistic. I have come to a realization that I have wasted a potentially good physique so far by playing too much Football Manager over the years. So I want to get fit and learn martial arts too. Don't know which one/s yet, but that's what I'm here to find out.

That's about it really.....should be fun.
    How autistic is "mildly autistic", if that's not pressing too much? Not to get too personal, it's just that every autistic person I've had the pleasure of meeting absolutely loathes being touched by other people. That could be a huge factor in deciding the martial art for you.

Style
    HEMA/FMA(Hiatus)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Greetings!

Good to have more Londoners around.

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

Wholiganizm
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    depends what you want out of martial arts, but considering that you are in london; judo, boxing or bjj will probably be what you want.
    Boxing is an interesting one, I am more interested in a striking art, but I would like to get good at grappling as well later on down the line. Definitely will consider.

Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    Welcome. We've got some cool Londoners on the site who might be able to recommend good gyms in your area. I feel obligated to mention that muay thai is a great workout and makes you feel tough too.
    Thanks! My brother used to do Muay Thai a while back, he recommended it to me. My cousin also did Muay Thai.

Quote Originally Posted by Like Water View Post
    How autistic is "mildly autistic", if that's not pressing too much? Not to get too personal, it's just that every autistic person I've had the pleasure of meeting absolutely loathes being touched by other people. That could be a huge factor in deciding the martial art for you.
    Well, I'm not Rainman! LOL.

I do have sensitivity to touch, but only soft touch. My problem is more to do with co-ordination and motor skills, which I need to improve. I considered joining a gym with Chek trainers as I did look into that a lot, but I didn't have the money and I was a little intimidated by the intensity of the exercises (push-ups on swiss balls LOL).

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Greetings!

Good to have more Londoners around.
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    Welcome to Bullshido.
    Thanks to you both, it looks like this is a funny ass forum, should enjoy it.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wholiganizm View Post
    Thanks to you both, it looks like this is a funny ass forum, should enjoy it.
    When you're not the one taking the heat, it's great. But watch what you say outside of newbietown.. These guys definitely earned their title of "bullies".

And to me it sounds like boxing or Muay Thai is the way to go for you. Definitely start feeling out the gyms in your area.

Wholiganizm
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A friend of mine recommended a JKD trainer in Clapham Junction - apparently trained by Cass Magda. I have read a lot about JKD and actually have some books by Bruce Lee, so the concept already appeals to me.

Is it a good idea to start off with such a fluid art? Or better to start with something like Muay Thai/boxing then move onto JKD?

I have a kinda silly reason why I want to do the JKD instead, in that......well a LOT of people I know do Muay Thai. It might sound weird but I don't really want to do what everybody else does. I am quite tall (6 foot 2 and a half, 220lbs) so I can see why people would recommend it, and it seems like a good workout.

Shall I do both?

Style
    Jacket wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to learn to grapple you might want to try catch as catch can. Or is that only oop north?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last