Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2012 2:48pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What TMA can learn from MMA

I recently got into Kyokushin and was poking around the internet for podcasts and articles about karate. I found this podcast by Iain Abernethy, a, from what I can tell, well-respected TMAer. He had an interesting episode about what TMA can learn from MMA, and I though you guys might think it's worth a listen.

http://iainabernethy.co.uk/sites/def...n_from_MMA.mp3

The segment starts at 5:50 and runs until 31:00.

He's very reasonable, and I like his attitude towards the martial arts. I think that hardcore TMAers might like to hear this message from a TMA guy instead of an MMA bully.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 7:06pm

Style: MMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think he makes good points in a way that might be palatable to his target audience. Unfortunately, one thing this website has taught me is that even those that train in the most nonsensical manner imaginable believe that they are already training in an alive manner.

If his audience was to take his advice and cross-train it may help, but I think the more likely outcome is that you end up with a bunch of larpers cross-training in Aikido and Ninjitsu, such is the peversity of human nature.

My main dispute with the comments he makes is that he uses the nonsensical term TMA. What does TMA mean? What is a TMA, is Pehlwani a TMA? What about Boxing, Greco-Roman Wrestling, Muay Thai, Aikido, Ninjutsu? Any term without a useful definition clouds discussions.

Overall I liked the podcast, excellent points were made. Unfortunately I doubt it will have much of an effect on those that listen but I hope I am wrong. I hope that this is indicative of an overall shift towards aliveness in martial arts schools that currently train in a dead manner.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 7:16pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, the TMA designation irritates me as well, but it is ingrained and will never change. Basically, compete in Sanda/Sanshu and leitai events. The arts that do that, CMA in particular, tend to slolwy move away from step by step BS. You can still learn forms, but the fight classes eschew that structure for practical ALIVE application.

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 7:36pm

Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Yes, the TMA designation irritates me as well, but it is ingrained and will never change.
    Really? America single-handedly destroyed racism. TMA just needs to become Americanized, like Spam sushi.

Stop being such a pessimist!
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 9:28pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    America single-handedly destroyed racism. TMA just needs to become Americanized, like Spam sushi.
    lolwut?

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 10:11pm

Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by huge View Post
    lolwut?
    I hope this picture helps put things into perspective.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1343358641699.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	13542  

Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.