Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. top knot

Posted On:
    7/25/2012 10:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What have I gotten myself into?

So, I finally hauled my out-of-shape whale's carcass to my first morning jiu-jitsu class.
    Mother of God, what have I done?
    Surprisingly, I managed to make it through all but 10 minutes of class, I got through the warm-up exercises for the moderate part, having issues with the push-ups, excelling at the stretching (what, fatties can't be limber?), and getting into some moves, like bridging and shrimping, and this excruciating wall-crawl thing. Man, I didn't know that I could BE so tired... **** LISTEN TO ME WHINE! ;)

I totally gassed out during the last drill which was me and the only other guy there, I walk over him while he evades, then he walks over me while I evade. Well, I had the evasion bit down, it was the walking that got me. When I stood up, the room spun and I literally saw floating black spots. so, I threw up and nearly fainted. so the last 10 minutes I was off the matt, cooling down, resting my aching head (felt like my head was gonna explode!), while the Professor told me some inspiring anecdotes and generally encouraged me to get better, and give it some time. I fully intend to.
    He's cool as ****.
    I will return,
    I will get better.
    -Knot
    PS **** CIGARETTES...gagh!

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/25/2012 11:10am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good for you. Are you still smoking?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2012 11:15am

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Had a similar experience last night at the MT gym. I've been in a state of complete inactivity for the past 5 months as the result of a back injury, and this was my second class back. An hour of pads, which is normally not a huge deal, but sweet Moses did I get gassed. My body wasn't cooperating even during warmups... I did all of my reps but I just felt like my body was not listening to my brain. Pads were OK, I still had power but speed suffered a bit. The fact that it was about 90F with 100% humidity (yes, we were underwater) didn't help, but I felt like I was swimming when I was throwing hooks.

The road to recovery sure is fun!

Better than not working out and just being alone with my sick, sick thoughts. Feel your pain.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2012 12:10pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been to a couple of weeks of classes. Between the arthritis in my feet and my swollen knees, I'm beginning to wonder if I just need to stick with my basic fitness routines and leave the fighting to young people. I've only thrown up once, and it was after I got home. It surprised me.

It's a tough farkin workout, that is for sure.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2012 12:11pm

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude...quit the smokes. Cold turkey is the only way. You'll be free in a week.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2012 12:17pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RWaggs View Post
    Dude...quit the smokes. Cold turkey is the only way. You'll be free in a week.
    I quit smoking about 2 weeks before I started BJJ, and I never want to smoke again. Sure, I miss smoking from time to time, but I hate feeling gassed and I got a lot of work to do.

EDIT: accidentally submitted before I finished. Quit the smokes, dude. You'll realize how silly they are in about 2 months.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2012 12:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lukerawks View Post
    I quit smoking about 2 weeks before I started BJJ, and I never want to smoke again. Sure, I miss smoking from time to time, but I hate feeling gassed and I got a lot of work to do.

EDIT: accidentally submitted before I finished. Quit the smokes, dude. You'll realize how silly they are in about 2 months.
    Yeah, every once in awhile, when the sun is going down and I've had a couple drinks on my back deck, I think about smoking...but it passes quickly. Cigs are fucking ridiculous. Pot, on the other hand :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2012 1:41pm

Style: BJJ/Iron Palm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Somewhere around 5% of people successfully quit and stay quit using the Cold Turkey method. You guys are just badass compared to the general population.

Get help if you need it (medication, counseling, nicotine replacement, hotlines etc.)

http://www.cancer.org/Healthy/StayAw...ng-how-to-quit
    Last edited by lordbd; 7/25/2012 1:43pm at . Reason: misquoted stat

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2012 1:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbd View Post
    Fewer than 5% of people successfully quit and stay quit using the Cold Turkey method. You guys are just badass compared to the general population.

Get help if you need it (medication, counseling, nicotine replacement, hotlines etc.)

http://www.cancer.org/Healthy/StayAw...ng-how-to-quit
    Yeah, I guess I shouldn't poo-poo what works for others. I tried nicotine replacement, zyban and that type of stuff, and none of it worked. Quit cold turkey once, and went three years without a cig. Started doing it again socially for stupid reasons for a couple years, and got tired of breathing hard in Kyokushin so went cold turkey again. I won't be back this time.

Wasn't even that hard. I just kept focusing on the fact that I wasn't going to pay death merchants money, and government taxes, to the tune of $10 a pack, to lower the quality and length of my life and make me smell like ****. It's your body...kick the smokes out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2012 1:48pm

Style: BJJ/Iron Palm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RWaggs View Post
    Wasn't even that hard. I just kept focusing on the fact that I wasn't going to pay death merchants money, and government taxes, to the tune of $10 a pack, to lower the quality and length of my life and make me smell like ****. It's your body...kick the smokes out.
    Doing smoking cessation counseling, this is the sort of mindset that we try to encourage as part of helping people quit. Stop functioning well without help, you're stealing money from my profession.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast