Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2012 7:22am

Style: Japanese Jujutsu / aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Summer of Grappling and BJJ Red Herrings: Aikido Edition

I'm a bouncer at a club and use aikido all the time. I guess, it all depends in the way the person trains and how it is thought. In my school the aikido that we do is very different than some of the more traditional aikido schools in the area. we do it like it needs to work, not as if it had to look pretty.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2012 10:14pm

Style: Injured

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Enough with this bouncer ****.

It doesn't prove anything...It's one thing to subdue someone looking to have a good time and another to defend yourself against someone who wants your blood.

How do you train differently from everyone else?

I used to think I trained differently too.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/19/2012 10:47pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The bouncer scenario gets EXTREMELY old. So does the I am a cop, with a gun, badge, nightstick, radio, pepper spray, back up, bullets, and a heavy duty flashlight, but my Aikido saves the day.
  4. Hitokiri88

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 9:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A little off topic, but what's your thoughts in regards to Aikido when compared to Aiki-jitsu?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 9:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hardly ever have to subdue someone trying to have a good time. Maybe you have never been to a club or bar. But, where I work we have several fights a night and some of these bastards are either drunk or on some other type of drug and do not go down easy. I also have been attacked a few times; we have had other bouncers knocked flat out. Where I train, we do real training, not that fancy crap that the aikikai promotes as aikido. And besides, what Iím I going to do, try to grapple someone to the ground so one of his friends can bash me in the back of the head ( like Iíve seen happen before ). Iím not saying that aikido solely saves the day, but like the jujutsu that I train in, itís a good tool to have. And yes, Iíve been able to use it when an asshole is out for my head.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 9:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitokiri88 View Post
    A little off topic, but what's your thoughts in regards to Aikido when compared to Aiki-jitsu?
    I think aiki-jutsu is more effective in that it is not as soft or "pretty" as some aikdo styles are. Aiki-jutsu being the first incarnation of Ueshiba's art, it resembles Jujutsu much more, since that is where aikido comes from. The Aikido that most people see and practice, is the aikido that Ueshiba did when he was very old and could not move as well as he did when he was a younger man.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 10:34am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by konosan View Post
    I hardly ever have to subdue someone trying to have a good time. Maybe you have never been to a club or bar. But, where I work we have several fights a night and some of these bastards are either drunk or on some other type of drug and do not go down easy.
    You just reinforced his point, good job.

Where I train, we do real training, not that fancy crap that the aikikai promotes as aikido.
    Video of the "real hardcore Aikido" please. I'd LOVE to be able to recommend one of the extremely few legit Aikido dojos that exist. Not the musings of another poster who has the real, but really does not.

And besides, what I’m I going to do, try to grapple someone to the ground so one of his friends can bash me in the back of the head ( like I’ve seen happen before ).
    **** is this the summer of "OMG MULTIPLE OPPONENTS" bullshit? Why does every braggart immediately go to grappling? I do xingyi and Mister has Judo in his style field. Nice red herring there buddy. Oh and to grapple, in Aikido, involves many thing similar to judo. So, your little grapple excuse just fell flat.

I’m not saying that aikido solely saves the day, but like the jujutsu that I train in, it’s a good tool to have. And yes, I’ve been able to use it when an asshole is out for my head.
    Blah.
    As to Aikido and aikijujitsu? Read please:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=73010
    Last edited by It is Fake; 7/20/2012 10:52am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 2:16pm

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hardly ever have to subdue someone trying to have a good time. Maybe you have never been to a club or bar. But, where I work we have several fights a night and some of these bastards are either drunk or on some other type of drug and do not go down easy. I also have been attacked a few times; we have had other bouncers knocked flat out.
    Mate I understand it's a dangerous job but it doesn't rely on your fighting prowess, it relies on your ability to subdue two people fighting each other or a drunk losing his temper and lashing out. I hope you understand the difference between that and a fight.

Where I train, we do real training, not that fancy crap that the aikikai promotes as aikido.
    I'd love to see that, if you have video.

I bet I would see some pretty good Aikido, style wise, I'm not doubting that.

I'm doubting the training methods where the opponent doesn't fight back, more on that later.

And besides, what I’m I going to do, try to grapple someone to the ground so one of his friends can bash me in the back of the head ( like I’ve seen happen before ). I’m not saying that aikido solely saves the day, but like the jujutsu that I train in, it’s a good tool to have. And yes, I’ve been able to use it when an asshole is out for my head.
    That's beside the point, I never said to grapple, I didn't say Aikido sucks because it has no ground game.

I don't know what this has to do with anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitokiri88 View Post
    I think aiki-jutsu is more effective in that it is not as soft or "pretty" as some aikdo styles are. Aiki-jutsu being the first incarnation of Ueshiba's art, it resembles Jujutsu much more, since that is where aikido comes from. The Aikido that most people see and practice, is the aikido that Ueshiba did when he was very old and could not move as well as he did when he was a younger man.
    Effectiveness has nothing to do with how "hard" it is.

What it has to do with is the concept of being able to test what you learn in an environment that closely resembles real fighting (sparring).

I'm afraid Aikijujutsu and Aikido are in the same boat, in that they don't often spar in these arts, you can Kiai as loud as you want and roughen up your Uke as much as you want when applying Kote Gaeshi or Ikkajo/Ikkyo but in the end it will remain the same dead pattern.
    Last edited by Mister; 7/20/2012 2:19pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 3:03pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    teh deadly wristlock.

What bar are you a bouncer at? Sounds like a pretty rough place.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/20/2012 8:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a jello wrestling match with a bouncer at a trucker bar once. I think he got pissed off after I Vader Bombed a lot lizard he liked, so he challenged me on the spot. Now, normally the persona I adopt is like a pastiche of Stone Cold Steve Austin and the Ultimate Warrior: Insulting but incoherent at the same time. For this palooka, though, I decided to try my hand at an old school Goldust imitation. This strategy seemed to pay off; it was clear that he had lost focus immediately after I fondled him in the jello pit. From there on out I was able to choke him unconscious with a dragon sleeper (Con body scissors) and win the match.

My post-fight antics got me in hot water, though. After the referee raised my hand, I stomped my defeated opponent in the face and shouted "Roadhouse!" I had to give up twenty percent of my purse for that.
    Last edited by Holy Moment; 7/20/2012 8:18pm at .
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast