Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    7/25/2012 4:25pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    Some people will think it is stupid, but Buddhist meditation and strenuous exercise or IMO the most effective treatments.
    That specific combination has made it possible for me maintain some semblance of social graces.

Mahayana Soto Zen and BJJ/Judo for the high functioning win.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Posted On:
    7/25/2012 11:33pm

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by XXIV View Post
    If I wake up and transform into Jennifer Lopez it will be the crowning achievement of my life. And science.
    You would still get bagged for doing the krav though.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    7/25/2012 11:52pm

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by XXIV View Post
    Hey everyone, back after a long and refreshing sleep (albeit a little hung over..)

Many of you - jnp, 3moose1, battlefields esp. - brought up the idea over over-exhaustion. I realized last night as I was about to fall asleep that I had exerted so much energy doing Judo and the warm-up drills (shrimps, bridges, sprawls, crunches, pushups) that I had nothing left mentally in addition to physically. I will cut back to one class per day, 2-3x per week. I am sure this contributed to the panic becoming so overwhelming.

I want to get in shape so bad that I didn't even think of the drain it would put on my 'mental game' as well.

gregaquaman: Yes, I think they can be tempered also. This is just an area of great inexperience and discomfort. I felt a bit discouraged because other newbs seemed to 'get it' faster than I was. I feel uncoordinated with my own body and I think it will change in time as well. My coach got on my ass about making fun of myself and my weight in class, he said that it would poison my mental game. And he said the more I fight and roll the better I will feel.
    If you are loosing weight fast or your body composition is changing. This can play with your emotions a bit.

At an extreme level look at people who cut weight. And how that leaves them mentally vunerable.

You need to compete with yourself more than compete with others. The training is about you not them. Reward yourself mentally when you succeed as much as you can. acknowledge that success in your head. And set yourself reasonable goals.

You don't need to win in sparring.
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=114815&page=3
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    7/25/2012 11:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    You need to compete with yourself more than compete with others. The training is about you not them. Reward yourself mentally when you succeed as much as you can. acknowledge that success in your head. And set yourself reasonable goals.

You don't need to win in sparring.
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=114815&page=3
    These points are really good, when I 1st started I set little milestones like last 30secs with out being swept by x or don't give up the bow and arrow with y. Staying calm when in a bad position. Ect ect ect. Really at 1st it was all about lasting a little bit longer.

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 12:48am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being a white belt is all about survival.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 7:43am

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    I tap so often the hair salon next door thinks the dojo is a drummers practice studio.

I tap like a tin roof in a monsoon. TapOut sent me a Cease and Desist letter. People can kick my ass and get a shiatsu massage at the same time.
  7. danielsaun

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 9:32am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you should focus on the positives. You are facing your fears and you should be proud. I have anxiety issues and just do my best when in class. It's going to take time. Its going to take a mulit facet approach, most likely, to overcome these issues. Therapy, SD training, facing your fears and working through them. We are not perfect just focus on doing the best you can.

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 11:02am

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I make fun of myself for my percieved lack of progress. But I keep going to class. Took me almost three years, with a lot of time off for injuries, just to make green belt (it's okay to laugh here). Today I got my biggest compliment ever. I rolled with a brown belt I respect a lot and after seven or eight minutes he submitted me but as we finished he said "Whew, I weathered the storm." Made me feel pretty good, never would have had that feeling today if I had quit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 11:29am

Style: BJJ Beginner

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can share something from own experience with BJJ. Lately I have been getting really freaked out when someone has me in side control, getting really claustrophobic, then tapping.

It was really getting me down, I was panicking. The thing is, I was getting more and more depressed after each roll and it was affecting my game more and more. I thought I was lacking something mentally that would stop me from succeeding Then someone showed me how to breath in when someone was just about to press down on my chest, then only take really small short breaths.

It was amazing, no panic. Did it the old way, panic came back. It wasn't some mental weakness on my own part, it was a physiological response that my body was doing to me. My body was the enemy this time, not my mind.

I might not be able to convey how good that made me feel, but I felt good and could move on.

Grappling, I think, is one of the hardest sports you can do, it's like running the 400 while someone is trying to choke you out.

I keep in my mind, so I stay positive, that corny saying about eating an elephant. One bite at a time.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 5:31pm

supporting member
     Style: The Jits + Hung Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright folks I'm headed out to the gym now to watch a no gi takedown class and participate in plain ol' vanilla boxing. I figured it' can't hurt to watch a class even if I'm limiting myself to only doing one class per day - and I love boxing. Need to practice my stand-up game too.

To be fair, I've never felt this sort of anxiety during stand-up. As a kid (think ~12 years old) I never lost a fight, though I never really got into too many either - and they were won mostly with my fists and elbows. So I'm way more confident in that area than my ground game!

I'm admittedly nervous, my stomach is in knots about telling my instructor what happened. Everyone said I shouldn't be embarrassed and even I know I shouldn't be but I still feel this strange twinge of shame from somewhere very, very deep. Also we have a new boxing coach at the gym that I get to meet today and I don't want him to think ill of me (he's ex-golden gloves IIRC, don't know his name off the top of my head)
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast