Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2012 10:23pm

Style: 1 technique 1000 times

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would add that you should definitely let any and all coaches and instructors know about this (in time, of course, don't rush anything now). Firstly because your coach will be prepared if they have to help you snap out of another episode, and second, so they can help you through the healing process. I'm sure most MA coaches aren't certified psychotherapists, but support from people you look up to can and always will be a good thing. I would like to assume that an MA instructor has gone through women's self defense classes from time to time, so they may even have a few pointers on how to keep your cool when your shrimps go "nope."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2012 10:29pm

Style: Hung Gar

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think this is pretty private stuff and you should only tell your coach and/or partners if you feel comfortable with that. Your therapist can teach you grounding exercises fairly quickly to help you cope with flashbacks if necessary.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2012 10:35pm

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep training hard! And keeps up with the therapist! All the best. :)

PS: I've had panic attack on the mat too, you're not the only one! :)

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Posted On:
    7/24/2012 10:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Jits [2 Stripe White]

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you all very much, I really appreciate the replies I've gotten. It does help to know that I am not alone in feeling this and that it does get better. I'm still pretty rattled, I might have to take one of my benzos to calm down and get to bed. Hopefully my therapist will have some good input for me tomorrow. Every time I think I'm 'over' something like this, I'm not. My brain seems very good at pretending that things are ok.

I want to go through and reply to some stuff but I'm exhausted and I think a refreshing sleep might be in order.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2012 10:49pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fwiw I've tapped from panic too. I'm claustrophobic and I train with giants. I've been training for almost six years and I still have I concentrate when I get to much pressure on my face (like under mount or north/south).

just keep going back.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    7/24/2012 11:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Relax, ************. Anxiety attacks can hit you anywhere at anytime while doing anything. The issue is somewhat BJJ, but it's probably more anxiety. Talk that **** out with your therapist.

I don't understand why you would think it's embarrassing, motherfuckers have folded up on the floor while doing simple **** like cooking and then exploded into paroxysms of crying and ****. Don't beat yourself up over that ****, you just going through the recovery phase of the illness. Let that **** slide. Ride that **** out. Hit up the therapist, keep doing that jits.

Incidentally, I've never tapped from panic, because 1) I'm not a ***** but more importantly because 2) I don't have an anxiety disorder (knock on wood). The anxiety disorder is far more important than the tapping. Everybody taps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goju - joe
    being a dick with skill is only marginally better than being a dick without skill.

Posted On:
    7/24/2012 11:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well this has been well covered, also it will get easier with more time on the mat

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    7/25/2012 12:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At least you have a reason. Better then curling up and crying because you lost.

A few points; harden up and kick ass.

Two: go slowly. No need to rush into too many classes, too quickly.

Three: it's ok. I've had issues during class, my gym services a lot of cops....they get issues. It's not a big deal.

Four:drink plenty of water

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    7/25/2012 12:25am

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    • Anxiety disorder is not claustrophobia, but perhaps some of these ideas for dealing with claustrophobia could still be useful: Grappling with Claustrophobia in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    • Obviously, the decision to tell the instructor is yours. If I were teaching a class where someone was prone to anxiety or panic attacks, though, I’d want to know—even if I couldn’t help directly, at least I could be mindful of it, default to “Take it easy, relax, breathe” rather than a misguided though encouraging “Come on! Get moving!”, and so that if you were to have a serious panic episode, it wouldn’t catch me by surprise and freak me out. That said, the concerns of someone with anxiety disorder are obviously more impactful and take priority, ergo your decision.
    • You could ask a black belt—two female BJJ black belts take questions from all comers. I wouldn’t be surprised if, with 24 years of experience between them, they’ve had and helped students with similar issues.
    • Really, really don’t be embarrassed. Especially in the beginning, as others have said, people tap out to all kinds of things. A while back I rolled with a white belt—a guy in good shape, considerably bigger and stronger than myself—who would immediately tap every time I took mount, because he just found the pressure and sense of being trapped too much to take.
    • Never be afraid to sit out when you need it. Everybody has off nights and needs to sit out rolling sometimes; beginners especially are often out of shape, or even if they’re in shape blow their energy too quickly. If you don’t want to talk about it, nobody’s going to look askance at you for taking a breather.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Posted On:
    7/25/2012 6:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have a ground and pound drill for the fighters that will tend to do that to them.

Martial arts can be uncomfortable mentally as well as physicly. I believe you can condition your emotions the same as you condition you body.

And that all martial artist need to accept that they will have really bad head **** days
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast